How The League Table Would Look Without Portsmouth

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: How The League Table Would Look Without Portsmouth

Postby Moonchesteri » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Thanks Joey.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby bluej » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Esky wrote:For all the talk of us losing 6 points and having to battle back for fourth, I don't think it's the biggest issue.

What happens to the side that finishes 17th in the current system and then, as Pompey fall away, ends up 17th/19 in the new one? Are they relegated? Or would only two teams drop? How many teams are then promoted (and would there have to be a domino effect down through the leagues to make up the numbers?) You'd think after the Tevez/West Ham deal you'd expect the F.A. to do everything they can to avoid further litigation (and that's all before you involve Portsmouth's creditors themselves).

There would still be 20 places to fill so I imagine it would be 2 go down 3 come up.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby MHiggi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 pm

bluej wrote:
Esky wrote:For all the talk of us losing 6 points and having to battle back for fourth, I don't think it's the biggest issue.

What happens to the side that finishes 17th in the current system and then, as Pompey fall away, ends up 17th/19 in the new one? Are they relegated? Or would only two teams drop? How many teams are then promoted (and would there have to be a domino effect down through the leagues to make up the numbers?) You'd think after the Tevez/West Ham deal you'd expect the F.A. to do everything they can to avoid further litigation (and that's all before you involve Portsmouth's creditors themselves).

There would still be 20 places to fill so I imagine it would be 2 go down 3 come up.

I think he's pointing out the knock-on effect that would create throughout the entire football league system. Whether it's Pompey or not, unfortunately a club will go bust sooner or later so these things need to be thought about in advance.
MHiggi
Superman's Underpants

Postby 9secondlegend » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Svensational wrote:Mancini out.

we are getting puma next year
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby avoidconfusion » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:01 am

gillie wrote:You just know what will happen we will be 5 points clear in 4th with one game to go and Pompey will be wound up Scouse 1 win the last game and we end up winning ours but lose out on 4th by 1 point.

I have a really shitty feeling that exactly this is going to happen.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby bluej » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 am

MHiggi wrote:
bluej wrote:

I think he's pointing out the knock-on effect that would create throughout the entire football league system. Whether it's Pompey or not, unfortunately a club will go bust sooner or later so these things need to be thought about in advance.

Yeah sorry, I didn't really think about the fact there will be only 2 going down to replace 3 in the Championship.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:30 am

Beefymcfc wrote:I was going to post this yesterday with the plights of Portsmouth but thought not too may would be interested. It is a massive shame that they and others like them are in this trouble; clubs trying to make a living with supporters who put everything behind them.

As for the table, it's not us I fell for as we are safe. It's the teams who are fighting it out that have a real problem, as they have no idea where they stand. We can make it up, they have to fight it up!

HOLD ON! No we aren't. We'd drop below the magical 40 point margin AGAIN.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:39 am

Its not gonna happen. There's no way the Premier League could just wipe away points. They will do everything they can to get Pompy to the end of the season. The whole situation is embarrassing for the league.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum