bad mouthing players

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

bad mouthing players

Postby eastlandsblue » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:00 am

on internet forums. is it me or doe's anyone else think this is a bad idea, and does it really serve a purpose. Im convinced out of boredom, some of our players visit this site and probably, others like bluemong. If Stevie Ireland is one one them, how good do you think he feels right now.

I,m not for one minute saying we shouldnt discuss their performances in matches, but sometimes it gets bang out of order, and turns into a witch hunt at times. IBH started a thread slating Richards when he had'nt even been involved in the game, thats the sort of example im putting forward, it was a genuine mistake by the poster, but its blatently obvious he does'nt like the player

Im convinced Both Richards and Ireland will be better off at City in years to come, and not rubbing it in our faces at other clubs, like Richard Dunne has managed to do. I often slated Dunnes performances, and didnt even want him on the pitch, even when he was probably our last option, look how well he's doing at Villa, and ironically like Distan going to a big final the minute he leaves.

I know this post will get differing opinions and thats what the forums all about, all im saying it doesnt have to get personal, and become a witch hunt for the player.
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: bad mouthing players

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:08 am

I'm not a big fan of criticizing players, but I seriously doubt any of them visits forums like this or Bluemong.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby eastlandsblue » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 am

Thats nieve then mate, because they take time out to read stats in the tabloids, and 1 or 2 are rumoured to visit bluemong
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 am

There has been times when a player has made reference to reading something in a forum. Ireland did re BM and I know I have been asked at Carrington about forum posts before so yes it does happen. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism and that's what forums are significantly about anyway aren't they?

Even the very strong irrational attacks which we do see on occasion often end up with a lot of counter posts which usually give the correct balance for the reader whoever it is. What baffles me are the threads started which have a go at players for something other than football. The ones supposedly slagging off a player for how they have alledgedly behaved in a club ot at Tescos or wherever.Even if they are true I just can't get my head aropund why a CIty fan would want to post negative bile against a CIty player. BM is full of such crap. Happily it's not as common on here.

One thing for sure the press scour fan websites for anything they can follow up on and which they think will make a headline.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:00 am

eastlandsblue wrote:IBH started a thread slating Richards when he had'nt even been involved in the game, thats the sort of example im putting forward, it was a genuine mistake by the poster, but its blatently obvious he does'nt like the player

A couple of things....first let's address the above:

a) Beeks does indeed hate Micah and doesn't rate him

HOWEVER

b) The thread was a joke....I think if you read it that much is pretty clear

BUT I do actually agree with your sentiments as to over the top slating/witchhunting of players on the internet. Part of me can see the merits of people getting things off their chest away from the ground/out of earshot of the players. That said, I personally think that these kind of witchhunty threads actually would validate the views expressed by some in the eyes of others which could then lead to them starting to mouth off on the theme at Eastlands....

Then there is the risk (v likely IMO) that some players might log on and have a look

Don't think some of the older players would but the young lads...yeah I can see Micah, Stevie, Nedum, Johnno, Boyata etc having a look and I shudder to think of what they would think of their "fans" as a consequence
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby King Kev » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 am

I see this site as a bit like an on-line pub. It's somewhere we can all get together and have a chat, share our opinions, have a laugh and even have the occasional row. If somebody comes on here and says 'X was shite today' I don't see the problem with that, especially if they go on to explain their opinion.

Now, if a player had played shit and saw a bunch of city fans in a boozer discussing the match, and he decided to listen in, then he shouldn't be too surprised or upset if some of the things they are saying aren't very complimentary towards him!

Football is a passionate game, sometimes this means that opinions are expressed in quite a forceful manner. If players are too precious to understand this then they really should stay away IMO.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby CityGer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:19 am

I think KK has put it well.

I also think tat as professional players they accept that they are in the firing line and proably take what they read and hear with a pinch of salt. I would also say that those that are a bit sensestive are well compenated for any mental damage caused!!
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:29 am

ant london wrote:
eastlandsblue wrote:IBH started a thread slating Richards when he had'nt even been involved in the game, thats the sort of example im putting forward, it was a genuine mistake by the poster, but its blatently obvious he does'nt like the player

A couple of things....first let's address the above:

a) Beeks does indeed hate Micah and doesn't rate him

HOWEVER

b) The thread was a joke....I think if you read it that much is pretty clear

BUT I do actually agree with your sentiments as to over the top slating/witchhunting of players on the internet. Part of me can see the merits of people getting things off their chest away from the ground/out of earshot of the players. That said, I personally think that these kind of witchhunty threads actually would validate the views expressed by some in the eyes of others which could then lead to them starting to mouth off on the theme at Eastlands....

Then there is the risk (v likely IMO) that some players might log on and have a look

Don't think some of the older players would but the young lads...yeah I can see Micah, Stevie, Nedum, Johnno, Boyata etc having a look and I shudder to think of what they would think of their "fans" as a consequence

I suppose I'd fall into the bracket of middle aged and dont think us elder folk are as internet ignorant and uneducated as you may think. I'm sure the players we have that are younger than me do visit these sites quite regularly.
And if players like Stevie and Micah etc visit these sites I'm sure they discuss what they read with the other lads in training and such other occassions.
Like someone on BM said this site is a bit like an old peoples home on internet but nontheless the views we express are not that far removed from the general consensus so we can along with other sites be used as a barometer of the feelings that are circulating the club.If they are derogatory to the players I think its no wonder that they do the things they do because they are able to judge how the fans feel about them through the stuff thats written about them.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ant london » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:35 am

King Kev wrote:I see this site as a bit like an on-line pub. It's somewhere we can all get together and have a chat, share our opinions, have a laugh and even have the occasional row. If somebody comes on here and says 'X was shite today' I don't see the problem with that, especially if they go on to explain their opinion.

Now, if a player had played shit and saw a bunch of city fans in a boozer discussing the match, and he decided to listen in, then he shouldn't be too surprised or upset if some of the things they are saying aren't very complimentary towards him!

Football is a passionate game, sometimes this means that opinions are expressed in quite a forceful manner. If players are too precious to understand this then they really should stay away IMO.

I think you are missing the point that the OP is trying to bring out there KK

He's not saying (and I don't think anyone would ever say) that, in the heat of the match thread or immediate aftermath it isn't normal, justified or understandable to rant about someone who has played badly

What I was referring to (and I think was the OP's point) was the posts where people have a bee in their bonnet, axe to grind or whatever re a certain player and constantly bang on about it, getting more and more rabid in their criticism (often in my view with little basis). It is this kind of discussion that I think is dangerous and counterproductive.

I also don't buy the "players are too precious", "they are well compensated" bollocks. Well paid or not they are simply human beings, like you or I. I'd love to see some of you listen to some of this kind of criticism about your performance (let's just say at work....or in bed with your misses) and shrug it off....and continue to perform well knowing people are slating you constantly. If you think you could....I say you are delusional

And the pub analogy is flawed too. Yes, post-match players would obviously avoid standing within earshot of a group of lads wearing City shirts obviously having a heated debate....they don't have the same luxury of being able to judge the group here. By the time they've opened a thread (or even seen the title) half the damage is done. Even if they avoided the forum after a defeat they would find the kind of witchhunt threads appearing....we even get them during international breaks when the players having even had chance to "offend" in a sky blue shirt

I'm not remotely saying that players should be insulated from criticism but the extent and tone of some of it is way over the top but more importantly potentially hugely counterproductive. A bit like the online equivalent of Richard Edghill being slated at Maine Road if you want an analogy...helped him didn't it
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby King Kev » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:52 am

ant london wrote:I think you are missing the point that the OP is trying to bring out there KK

He's not saying (and I don't think anyone would ever say) that, in the heat of the match thread or immediate aftermath it isn't normal, justified or understandable to rant about someone who has played badly

What I was referring to (and I think was the OP's point) was the posts where people have a bee in their bonnet, axe to grind or whatever re a certain player and constantly bang on about it, getting more and more rabid in their criticism (often in my view with little basis). It is this kind of discussion that I think is dangerous and counterproductive.
I agree with you to a certain extent but, as Doug pointed out, these sort of posts are more often than not counter-balanced by other posters disagreeing with the offender and pointing out that they are talking bollocks. If I was Isaksson for example and saw that King Kev was slagging me of on ManCityFans but 10 others were sticking up for me then I wouldn't get too upset (but I would still be a shit 'keeper)

ant london wrote:I also don't buy the "players are too precious", "they are well compensated" bollocks. Well paid or not they are simply human beings, like you or I. I'd love to see some of you listen to some of this kind of criticism about your performance (let's just say at work....or in bed with your misses) and shrug it off....and continue to perform well knowing people are slating you constantly. If you think you could....I say you are delusional
It wasn't me that mentioned being well compensated so I won't bother to address that point.
As for players being too precious, I said IF they are too precious then they should stay away. I'm sure we all know if we are likely to be upset by something or not, if we think that something may upset us they maybe we should avoid it.

ant london wrote:And the pub analogy is flawed too. Yes, post-match players would obviously avoid standing within earshot of a group of lads wearing City shirts obviously having a heated debate....they don't have the same luxury of being able to judge the group here. By the time they've opened a thread (or even seen the title) half the damage is done. Even if they avoided the forum after a defeat they would find the kind of witchhunt threads appearing....we even get them during international breaks when the players having even had chance to "offend" in a sky blue shirt
The pub analogy is just how I view this site, if you don't see it that way too I don't have a problem with that.
The luxury that the players do have is to chose if they visit internet forums where people will be talking about them or not. I hope that some of our players do care enough to come and see what the fans think, I also hope they are grown up enough to realise it is just people's opinions and not necessarily the how we all feel.

ant london wrote:I'm not remotely saying that players should be insulated from criticism but the extent and tone of some of it is way over the top but more importantly potentially hugely counterproductive. A bit like the online equivalent of Richard Edghill being slated at Maine Road if you want an analogy...helped him didn't it
What happened with Edghill was appalling, I said that at the time. However there is a world of difference between morons booing him during a game and expressing their opinions on a forum.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum