Shay.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Shay.

Postby gillie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Why the fuck did he not come to punch that throw in?.Imo thats why our zonal marking system cant work he just wont come off his line is it his stature or something ie: is he too small?.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Shay.

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Original Dub's gonna love you :-)
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby gillie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:Original Dub's gonna love you :-)

Miyagi mate i love the guy but his constant refusal to come and punch a ball that is in his zone is worrying to say the least.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 pm

gillie wrote:

Miyagi mate i love the guy but his constant refusal to come and punch a ball that is in his zone is worrying to say the least.

Especially when it is........ZONAL play!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby gillie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
gillie wrote:

Especially when it is........ZONAL play!

Peter Schmiechel would have cleared every one out in that situation any one in his way would still be seeing stars.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:26 pm

The thing is a top class goalie would have thought to himself "I'm going to show that Delap there is just no point launching the ball at my six yard box. First one he does I'm going to swallow it up and then look for a quick throw out into the area of the pitch he has vacated. He might think twice in future." Or something along those lines....

With Shay it seems like.... shit.... I'll let them have the header and rely on saving it.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby gillie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:The thing is a top class goalie would have thought to himself "I'm going to show that Delap there is just no point launching the ball at my six yard box. First one he does I'm going to swallow it up and then look for a quick throw out into the area of the pitch he has vacated. He might think twice in future." Or something along those lines....

With Shay it seems like.... shit.... I'll let them have the header and rely on saving it.

But as per usual he is rooted and just watches as the ball nestles.In my youth i used to be a keeper and the first thing i was taught was to command my area especially my six yard box Shay does niether at the moment.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:47 pm

It really doesn't matter what OD thinks, it's not relevant to the issue.

Last Tuesday and today Given gave me the impression he simply isn't interested. Casually kicking the ball up field from a back pass or not even moving off his line for anything. It's a problem we can't simply address because it would be quite wrong to call Joe Hart back from Birmingham right now. Although there should be competition for places.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Goaters 103 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:47 pm

His kicking and ball distribution is appalling. Shot stopping and keeping abilities are undoubted though.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby gillie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:His kicking and ball distribution is appalling. Shot stopping and keeping abilities are undoubted though.

keeping abilities are undoubted though.

But they are doubted mate as he does not command his area and that was proven tonight watch the highlights if you think im wrong.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby s1ty m » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:59 am

Gievn is brilliant, at virtually everything. Except coming for the ball; so it's simply inadequate.

I'd happily sacrifice 20% of his other skills to get him off his line.

IIRC, it is Joe Hart's achilles heel too though.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm

zuricity wrote:It really doesn't matter what OD thinks, it's not relevant to the issue.

Last Tuesday and today Given gave me the impression he simply isn't interested. Casually kicking the ball up field from a back pass or not even moving off his line for anything. It's a problem we can't simply address because it would be quite wrong to call Joe Hart back from Birmingham right now. Although there should be competition for places.

I missed this little gem...

I think Shay could have come bursting out too, but I'm not sure what way this zonal marking works in that regard so I'd be lying if I said it wasn't his fault. Maybe it was his fault, maybe Rooney's winner was his fault. Maybe Owen's winner was his fault. I'm fucked if I know for sure.

what I am sure of is that he has earned us a hell of a lot more points than he's cost us and I'm ok with that.

Oh and for the record Zuricity - I don't think the majority of the board give a bollox what you think.

Fucking lunatic's point of view 99% of the time on any football related topic.

Are you a real person, or a computer operated alan partridge?
Original Dub

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Brad Friedel tried to come through two players in an FA Cup game this weekend and suffered the consequences.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Original Dub wrote:
zuricity wrote:It really doesn't matter what OD thinks, it's not relevant to the issue.

I missed this little gem...

I think Shay could have come bursting out too, but I'm not sure what way this zonal marking works in that regard so I'd be lying if I said it wasn't his fault. Maybe it was his fault, maybe Rooney's winner was his fault. Maybe Owen's winner was his fault. I'm fucked if I know for sure.

what I am sure of is that he has earned us a hell of a lot more points than he's cost us and I'm ok with that.

Oh and for the record Zuricity - I don't think the majority of the board give a bollox what you think.

Fucking lunatic's point of view 99% of the time on any football related topic.

Are you a real person, or a computer operated alan partridge?

BIT HARSH THAT AS I RECKON HE TALKS SENSE MOST OF THE TIME.

GIVEN IS AN EXCELLENT GOALIE WHOS FLAW (AND A FUCKING HUGE ANNOYING ONE) IS NOT COMING OFF HIS LINE WHEN HE SHOULD DO......THATS A FACT NOT JUST AN OPINION.
IF HE COULD SORT THAT OUT THEN HE WOULD BE THE BOLLOX...TILL THEN HE,S GOING TO GET SLATED WHEN HE JUST FLATLY REFUSES TO COME OFF HIS LINE AND WE CONCEDE.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:01 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Brad Friedel tried to come through two players in an FA Cup game this weekend and suffered the consequences.

SO....WHO FUCKING SAID EVERY TIME A GOALIE COMES OFF HIS LINE HE WILL STOP THE OPPOSITION FROM SCORING??????
OPPOSITION PLAYERS PREFER A GOAlIE TO STAY ON HIS LINE FOR A CORNER THAN COME OUT ALA SCHMEICHEL AND RISK A BATTERING.

I KNOW I DID.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:03 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Brad Friedel tried to come through two players in an FA Cup game this weekend and suffered the consequences.

Its a strange one mate. I honestly don't know if Shay is as poor or making the wrong decisions as much as folk are making out because if you have a renowned shit defence for as long as we've had its hard to judge the keeper.

riena's a very good keeper and doesn't come bursting off his line. He's won the golden gloves, does that mean he's the best or that the defence is organised to the point he can concentrate on shot stopping, which is what he is best at. Again I really don't know.

What I do know is that he was always been absolutely outstanding for Ireland and I've watched every game. The amount of times he has conceded more than one goal under Trappatoni you can count on one hand, maybe even one finger?

Is it because Ireland have a defensive minded italian coach? No, because he was quality under the others too. Is it because he comes off his line more for his country? I wouldn't imagine so. Is it because we have a well organised defence? I would think so.

We I'm sure once we have a defence that we all feel comfortable that we'll be able to judge him better, but I'll stick my neck out and say when that happens, he'll win the golden gloves and be unarguably the best keeper in the league.

Anyone see Buffon's howler againt Genoa, just out of interest? Anyone seen any howler from Given yet? I think we're very lucky to be honest, but as I said, time will tell.
Original Dub

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Well I know Given has earned us more points than he has cost us, and in fact I'm happy with him. But, nobody is perfect, and watching him at times I find myself screaming for him to come off the line and claim the ball. I've played keeper at very amateur level sometimes (not the only role I've played in, lol) and I surely wasn't a shot-stopper like Given is, but hell if I came off my line, and usually I always managed if not to grab the ball, to punch it away. So maybe it's because of how I played when between the sticks that I feel he should come out more, I dunno. Of course, not every ball can be dealt with by the keeper, either, so a balance between sticking to the line and coming off it should be the best. I think one of the better keepers in this is Julio Cesar from Inter (who is actually also a great shot-stopper, and the best keeper in the world at the moment imho).
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby aaron bond » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:50 pm

I think a major issue with Given is that he has no competition for his place.

Stuart Taylor is no more than a back-up and with Hart on loan at Brum, Given is guaranteed a starting place every week.

Players perform better when they have competition. Given doesn't have that at the moment.

I know he's a professional and we expect him to perform at his best ability all the time, but he's only human. If he knows in the back of his mind he's going to play every week, there's a chance he'll be more relaxed about his place in the side.

His frequent inability to command his box and his poor distribution (which seems to be getting worse) suggest that this could be happening.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 pm

aaron bond wrote:I think a major issue with Given is that he has no competition for his place.

Stuart Taylor is no more than a back-up and with Hart on loan at Brum, Given is guaranteed a starting place every week.

Players perform better when they have competition. Given doesn't have that at the moment.

I know he's a professional and we expect him to perform at his best ability all the time, but he's only human. If he knows in the back of his mind he's going to play every week, there's a chance he'll be more relaxed about his place in the side.

His frequent inability to command his box and his poor distribution (which seems to be getting worse) suggest that this could be happening.

given should be guaranteed a starting place every week. He's our fucling starting goalie and he's one of the top 3 keepers in the best domestic league in the world.

Doesn't mean he's beyond reproach, but it has less to do with competition than it does with communication and setup imho. Both of which Given is ultimately responsible for...ESPECIALLY from a throw in, corner or free kick.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby aaron bond » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
aaron bond wrote:I think a major issue with Given is that he has no competition for his place.

given should be guaranteed a starting place every week. He's our fucling starting goalie and he's one of the top 3 keepers in the best domestic league in the world.

Doesn't mean he's beyond reproach, but it has less to do with competition than it does with communication and setup imho. Both of which Given is ultimately responsible for...ESPECIALLY from a throw in, corner or free kick.

cheers

No one should be guaranteed a place. They have to earn their place. I agree he's a top keeper but in the last couple of months his performance level has dropped. The fact he has NO competition whatsoever cannot be helping him.

It's a tough one as it's not easy to have 2 good keepers at a club pushing for a starting spot. It'll be interesting in the summer when Hart returns to the club after a great season at Birmingham.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum