Give me a positive from today's game!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Give me a positive from today's game!

Postby ant london » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:34 am

King Kev wrote:Cheers Ant, saved me the job of typing it out myself.

I would also add that some of our one-touch passing was very good.

Plenty of positives, it's just a shame some people go out of their way not to see them!

Agree....bizarrely, I am not as down in the mouth today as after our win against Bolton (where we were terrible IMO).

There's still a way to go but there were good things to take away yesterday....as I said elsewhere there were some excellent individual performances, it was just the overall picture doesn't look good to watch and doesn't look effective (....yet, I hope).

Another positive is that Stoke lost some key players yesterday.

And another is that SWP looks hot, add Adamski (a Nijinsky for the modern era) on the other side instead of Petrov on Tuesday and we shall tear Pulis a new one
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby ant london » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:37 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:
And if they sack him, which would not be a wise choice imho just like you don't think it would, some would be quite happy, judging by the comments they post. ;)

Yeah it was a moment of weakness that comment, my frustration just ran over for a moment....

To address this, nah mate, if we sack Mancini I think I can speak for virtually everyone here in saying people would definitely not be happy, they would not celebrate or embrace such a stupid decision.

We've seen too much manager changing and it's never served us well.

We are frustrated at the moment and having a bit of a toys out of the pram re Mancini's methods/approach but sacking him is not the answer and it would not be applauded.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:00 am

ant london wrote:Positives:

Some much much better attacking play in parts than I've seen for several games

We were pacey as a bastard in periods when we went at Stoke and if the final ball had come off we would have been out of reach before they scored

Shay came off his line and claimed balls well beyond the 6 yard box a couple of times

Our England World Cup candidates looked the business in front of Don Fabio

We actually did look to have a "shape" in periods.....we looked like we were playing some kind of "inept blancmange" formation last match

We are still in the cup

and lastly, and I'm being honest with you all now

If the board did the unthinkable and binned Mancini at the end of the season (which, for the record, I do NOT think they should do, i don't want it and think it would be a huge stupid mistake), the one satisfaction I would get from it would be from the evening of scores with the "other side" from our last manager. It's petty yes but I am still sore at the shit we had to endure throughout our previous manager's tenure and I think there would be a twisted kind of comeuppance to it should that ever happen.

Well said. Finally got round to watching the second half and I do think we were better than against Bolton which again was slightly better than Portsmouth. It wasn't great and the Delap goal was a total pisser but I do think it is work in progress and as much about getting our mentality right and getting the players to automatically slot into position when under pressure or when playing below par as a well drilled side can get a result irrespective of performance (the old 'getting results when not playing well' cliche).

To be honest the hysteria over Mancini is no big surprise. People are still sore over the Hughes sacking and felt it was the wrong thing to do and/or the wrong way to do it. The media is still in this camp and I almost get the feeling that people want ADUG somewhow punished for sacking Hughes. Its ironic that the polarisation from the Hughes era is still alive and kicking but I guess it was inevitable.

So if Mancini fails to get top 4 he should be sacked - after all we sacked Hughes for not been on track didn't we? Or he has lost more games than Hughes now so why is he still here? (oh how many times have I heard that gem in the media and especially Sky). Then we have the 'we played beautiful/exciting attacking football' under Hughes and at times we did. A lot of the times though it was bloody awful and the results were appalling (Forest in the FA Cup anyone?) and when doing all that attacking we did forget to defend as a team leaving the 4 poor sods at the back to take the flak for it.

I said when we appointed Mancini that he was on a hiding to nothing and that he was a couple of bad games away from being crucified. I'll admit I didn't forsee us winning games and him getting crucified but there you go.

I am not a huge Mancini fan as I knew little about him. I don't agree with sacking a manager mid season (although I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see the back of Hughes nor did I care how they did it) so I have no axe to grind with Mancini either as his cheerleader or being hostile because of the Hughes situation.

But I do see the difference in what Mancini is trying to achieve and can take the growing pains as long as we win. We don't win then Mancini will get the sack just like any other manager so the problem takes care of itself.

Thing is I am enjoying the City ride at the moment and frankly getting myself into a froth over a few substandard performances with some scrappy wins along the way as if somehow this is betraying our Barca tradition is dishonest to the point of being laughable. I would like to keep enjoying the ride which is not so easy whilst wading knee deep in the misery on here so I guess a period of abstinance is the only solution although I will be registering a 'no' vote in the inevitable 'Should Mancini be Sacked' poll :)
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:05 am

Clive Tyldesley wasn't commentating. Thats a positive even before a ball was kicked.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Im glad someone reminded me he had a face like thunder or I would be going MENTAL at the quote : 'we played very well.''

I saw all this after only our third game. The guy doesnt do ANY attacking work/training and it seems like training isnt fun/ and morale is lacking.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
john68 wrote:I'M positive that those City fans who demanded Hughes out then rubbed every fuclers nose in the shite because we had replaced him with Mancini are having a few doubts.
I wonder how long we will see Mancini become the target of abuse and lies. If we play that poorly for much longer, I'm positive it won't be many more games.

are you directing this at me?

What an odd post if you are.

First of all, this has nothing to do with Hughes, get over him.

Second, I have been very consistent in my opinion. I said that get the right man in and stick with him long enough to get him mould the team into winners. I think we have that in Mancini. He needs at least one full season to show what he has got. He has already changed the course of our results and we are firmly on course to give top four a good crack.

But it would be ridiculous for me to not admit that the quality of football is somewhat lacking right now and that I'm gutted we will go to Stoke for replay.

So like I said, I've been consistent. What I find weird is the people who were preaching about stability few months back, now slowly starting to get on managers back after two months in charge and taking us two goals from top four. Was it NOT about stability after all?

First of all, this has everything to do with Hughes. Because you campaigned for him to be gone and eventually he was sacked, so we could have Mancini. We have to be able to measure one against the other because its the only way to see how far we've come!

I can't see progress. I genuinely can't see any progress. If I could then I'd say it, and with a big fucking smile on my face because I want our club to progress.

You say you believe we have the right man in charge? Based on what he did in Italy? Because if its based on how we've played under him and the opposition we've faced, coupled with a first leg victory over United, then you truely have me baffled.

You can't honestly believe what you've seen so far from Mancini convinces you he's the right man. To play that defensively and lose to hull and Everton and draw with Stoke is total horse shit. If we played offensively and lost it would be easier to take because at least we TRIED TO WIN THE GAME.

We have a phenomenal arsenal of attackers. And they are fucking smothered.

So please, tell me what it is that CONVINCES you Mancini is the right man, based on what he has achieved in England?
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Original Dub wrote:
john68 wrote:I'M positive that those City fans who demanded Hughes out then rubbed every fuclers nose in the shite because we had replaced him with Mancini are having a few doubts.
I wonder how long we will see Mancini become the target of abuse and lies. If we play that poorly for much longer, I'm positive it won't be many more games.

are you directing this at me?

What an odd post if you are.

First of all, this has nothing to do with Hughes, get over him.

Second, I have been very consistent in my opinion. I said that get the right man in and stick with him long enough to get him mould the team into winners. I think we have that in Mancini. He needs at least one full season to show what he has got. He has already changed the course of our results and we are firmly on course to give top four a good crack.

But it would be ridiculous for me to not admit that the quality of football is somewhat lacking right now and that I'm gutted we will go to Stoke for replay.

So like I said, I've been consistent. What I find weird is the people who were preaching about stability few months back, now slowly starting to get on managers back after two months in charge and taking us two goals from top four. Was it NOT about stability after all?

First of all, this has everything to do with Hughes. Because you campaigned for him to be gone and eventually he was sacked, so we could have Mancini. We have to be able to measure one against the other because its the only way to see how far we've come!

I can't see progress. I genuinely can't see any progress. If I could then I'd say it, and with a big fucking smile on my face because I want our club to progress.

You say you believe we have the right man in charge? Based on what he did in Italy? Because if its based on how we've played under him and the opposition we've faced, coupled with a first leg victory over U***d, then you truely have me baffled.

You can't honestly believe what you've seen so far from Mancini convinces you he's the right man. To play that defensively and lose to hull and Everton and draw with Stoke is total horse shit. If we played offensively and lost it would be easier to take because at least we TRIED TO WIN THE GAME.

We have a phenomenal arsenal of attackers. And they are fucking smothered.

So please, tell me what it is that CONVINCES you Mancini is the right man, based on what he has achieved in England?

no point in bringing Hughes up as even if Mancini turns out to be wrong man, he will never come back. Sheik has already seen what he has to offer and it wasn't good enough. Harping on about Hughes only serves to cause argument but isn't constructive.

Mancini's credentials are well documented. We aren't aiming to for Fa vase anymore but are looking to build best team in the world. We need best talent, foreign or domestic.

Besides, this isn't moan and whine about yesterday topic but positives topic.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 pm

You see, I saw your comment and I really wanted to know what it was that had you CONVINCED Mancini is the right man, based on what he has done in the premier league. Thanks for not answering. anyway, if this shit continues, I'm sure the sheikh will get rid of Mancini in a far quicker time than hughes and maybe even now some of the hierarchy are thinking they may have been hasty. There are better managers than Mark hughes no doubt about it, but I don't think we got one of them BASED ON WHAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR.

As for the topic, I couldn't think of a positive from today's game.

It was fucking horrendous.
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Original Dub wrote:You see, I saw your comment and I really wanted to know what it was that had you CONVINCED Mancini is the right man, based on what he has done in the premier league. Thanks for not answering. anyway, if this shit continues, I'm sure the sheikh will get rid of Mancini in a far quicker time than hughes and maybe even now some of the hierarchy are thinking they may have been hasty. There are better managers than Mark hughes no doubt about it, but I don't think we got one of them BASED ON WHAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR.

like I said on very first page, I didn't see anything good either apart from that we are still in cup. It's still better than getting kicked out by bloody Forest. No?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Original Dub wrote:You see, I saw your comment and I really wanted to know what it was that had you CONVINCED Mancini is the right man, based on what he has done in the premier league. Thanks for not answering. anyway, if this shit continues, I'm sure the sheikh will get rid of Mancini in a far quicker time than hughes and maybe even now some of the hierarchy are thinking they may have been hasty. There are better managers than Mark hughes no doubt about it, but I don't think we got one of them BASED ON WHAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR.

like I said on very first page, I didn't see anything good either apart from that we are still in cup. It's still better than getting kicked out by bloody Forest. No?

The squad that got knocked out by forest, although should still have beaten them, was not the same squad as this one.

As demonstrated in the 5-1 mauling of Scunthorp and 3 nil hiding of Arsenal in the carling cup.

Anyway, its not gonna get any prettier with chelsea waiting for us, but I really want to opportunity to play them.

Its just that I'm scared going into every game these days.... hopeful as ever, but shit scared. I think the players are too TBH.
Original Dub

Postby Grob » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:26 pm

I thought Vieria looked lively when he came on. Demanded the ball, tried to make things happen. Made a change.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum