Left footed corner? Right footed corner?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Left footed corner? Right footed corner?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Svensational wrote:I fucking hate this.

Left sided corner and Barry takes it, Right sided corner SWP takes it. Now every game we play this happens, which creates an outswinging ball and most of the time we do fuck all with.

Would it not be more creative and dangerous if we were to switch and have a left footed player taking the right sided corners and vice versa?

Ric, I've been banging on about it forever.

CORNERS SHOULD BE PUT INSWINGING ALWAYS.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby King Kev » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:02 pm

I quite enjoyed Petrov's corner from the left that lead to Kompany's goal the other day.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby gillie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 pm

King Kev wrote:I quite enjoyed Petrov's corner from the left that lead to Kompany's goal the other day.

It was poor marking that led to the goal not the corner.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Steve » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:23 am

gillie wrote:
King Kev wrote:I quite enjoyed Petrov's corner from the left that lead to Kompany's goal the other day.

It was poor marking that led to the goal not the corner.

That's a little bit harsh on our own boys. I'm sure Martin and Vinnie would give you a strong arguement for that. I was sitting behind that goal and thought it were a cracking delivery, and Vinnie did everything he could to get on the end of the beauty.

Whip corners in with pace and you don't give defenders time to react. Float it like a butterfly, step forward GB, and you give the defence half an hour to sit down and have a committee meeting regarding the incoming corner.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:40 am

Left sided corner and Barry takes it, Right sided corner SWP takes it. Now every game we play this happens, which creates an outswinging ball and most of the time we do fuck all with.

Would it not be more creative and dangerous if we were to switch and have a left footed player taking the right sided corners and vice versa?

Maybe. Mind you just watched the 1st half only to see Petrov taking a corner from the right so I do kind of wonder if I recorded the wrong game.

We looked good first 20 minutes or so but gradually let it slip for the rest. Off to watch the 2nd half which I assume is when I will feel the urge to slash my wrists - well a fucking Delap special for the goal is probably just cause - but given the rampant hysteria on here it had better be pure dross otherwise I might start thinking you're a bunch of drama queens :)

But just before I watch it can I clarify the facts so I know what to look for

1) We were negative to the point of barely getting out of our half
2) We replaced Ireland with Paddy to further blunt our attacking threat
3) We had zero chances and/or attempts on goal or our attampts were so feeble we shouldn't have bothered.
4) We didn't even have the bottle to press in the last 10/15 minutes as we hung onto a 1-1 draw and were lucky to get that
5) We want Mancini out (as per the thread) because he is a useless turd from a third rate league who is outwitted by lower league managers (that would be boro and scunny I take it) and lets face it who employs an Italian manager anyway (except for the national team and the current PL leaders).

I like to stay on script and thanks to all who have put me straight with the facts for the second half.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby MSG77 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:42 am

Yeah, this has been bothering me too.

Before, wasn't Barry taking the right corners and Bellamy taking the left ones?

What makes it even more strange is Mancini having the wingers play on their off-wings. So from general play, we can't put in outswingers, instead forcing the wings to turn inside to cross.

But from corners its all outswingers now, which seems to just be helping the D clear the ball.

Strange.
"this man is a equivalent of large and strong a construction that badly constructed you know, but without real figure, as you say, it does not classify. a thus affectionate man of the alcoholic drink can only influence its condition lies them. the mental state! that is why own goals from richard are many, the guilt shall lie only at legs of Arthur Guinness!" - LazioFanFromManchester
MSG77
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby 9secondlegend » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:45 am

BobKowalski wrote:

Maybe. Mind you just watched the 1st half only to see Petrov taking a corner from the right so I do kind of wonder if I recorded the wrong game.

We looked good first 20 minutes or so but gradually let it slip for the rest. Off to watch the 2nd half which I assume is when I will feel the urge to slash my wrists - well a fucking Delap special for the goal is probably just cause - but given the rampant hysteria on here it had better be pure dross otherwise I might start thinking you're a bunch of drama queens :)

3) We had zero chances and/or attempts on goal or our attampts were so feeble we shouldn't have bothered.
4) We didn't even have the bottle to press in the last 10/15 minutes as we hung onto a 1-1 draw and were lucky to get that
5) We want Mancini out (as per the thread) because he is a useless turd from a third rate league who is outwitted by lower league managers (that would be boro and scunny I take it) and lets face it who employs an Italian manager anyway (except for the national team and the current PL leaders).

I like to stay on script and thanks to all who have put me straight with the facts for the second half.

my new favourite poster!!
i have read loads of stuff you have wrote lately and 100% agree with it!
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby MSG77 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:46 am

BobKowalski wrote:But just before I watch it can I clarify the facts so I know what to look for

Yeah, that's just about right.

Maybe point 3 - We did have one chance when SWP actually put in a decent ball and Barry managed to head it on goal. Other than that - nothing.
"this man is a equivalent of large and strong a construction that badly constructed you know, but without real figure, as you say, it does not classify. a thus affectionate man of the alcoholic drink can only influence its condition lies them. the mental state! that is why own goals from richard are many, the guilt shall lie only at legs of Arthur Guinness!" - LazioFanFromManchester
MSG77
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:49 am

9secondlegend wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

my new favourite poster!!
i have read loads of stuff you have wrote lately and 100% agree with it!

yeah, pretty much everything he has said has been spot on.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:59 am

MSG77 wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:But just before I watch it can I clarify the facts so I know what to look for

Yeah, that's just about right.

Maybe point 3 - We did have one chance when SWP actually put in a decent ball and Barry managed to head it on goal. Other than that - nothing.

Super stuff. I'll correct 3) to one chance but nothing to right home about.

Now are you sure about the rest? As in really, really sure, cross your heart and hope to die sure, because I did see Petrov take that inswinging corner in the first half and I wasn't even really paying that much attention but we do have this whole thread about inswinging corners and that they never, ever happen so you can see why I may be a tad sceptical and I really don't want you looking like a no nothing tit. That would be bad and I would feel bad and then my dog would get upset and well you know it would just be bad.

Anyway off to watch the second half.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:45 am

What happened to the hypocritical cunt thread?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby HeyMark » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:37 am

I agree 100% outswingers are crap i hate seeing them as it gives the defence more chance of clearing the ball
HeyMark

Postby Slim » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:52 am

HeyMark wrote:I agree 100% outswingers are crap i hate seeing them as it gives the defence more chance of clearing the ball

We last scored from an ___swinging corner. Have a guess.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby HeyMark » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:56 am

Slim wrote:
HeyMark wrote:I agree 100% outswingers are crap i hate seeing them as it gives the defence more chance of clearing the ball

So we scored from one, doesnt change the fact that inswingers are harder to defend against that outswingers, I bet if you looked at the stats more corners are scored from inswingers.
HeyMark

Postby Slim » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:00 am

HeyMark wrote:
Slim wrote:

So we scored from one, doesnt change the fact that inswingers are harder to defend against that outswingers, I bet if you looked at the stats more corners are scored from inswingers.

By all means, look at the stats and get back to me. But don't quote crap you don't know as fact and use that to justify your point. You don't have one...not yet anyway.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 am

Ted Hughes wrote:What happened to the hypocritical cunt thread?

Has Antti been putting up one of his polls again ;-)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:09 am

BobKowalski wrote:

Cracked me up, this post. Good job on it, although we WERE poor in parts of the game.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Watched the Villa game today and their corner set pieces were a danger all game. Clearly well practised.
They scored their two goals from corners.
All their corners were in-swinging....
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:19 pm

BobKowalski wrote:

No mate, it goes like this:

1) We were positive to the point of barely being in our own half
2) We replaced Ireland with Paddy to further enhance our attacking threat
3) We had LOADS of chances on goal and if it wasn't for their keeper it would have been a cricket score
4) We went at them like fucking warriors for the last 15 mins and at no point was I worried they could snatch the victory
5) We should not complain about Mancini, because he won the italian league 3 times and the italian cup a few times. Hull and Everton were blessed they snatched those wins, because any other day we would have murdered them. Forget his 6 month trial, sign him up on the longest contract he's willing to sign. Lets face it, we're lucky to have him - he regularly out wits the managers in the league.

I too like to stay on script, ahead of the game on Tuesday and the vist of Liverpool to "fortress COMS".

Lets all play this game, its fun.
Original Dub

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Whilst we are picking the bones out of City and corners I'd add that when defending a corner why oh why oh why do we have all 11 back in our box? Its back to the Joe Royle days and ensures you then have 2 phases of play to deal with as without a player left occupying the opposition or acting as a man to pressure a cleared cross, we ensure the ball immediately comes back in again for us to defend again.

It also seems that even with all 11 back in our box we still leave a guy stood on his jack jones on the edge of the box, giving him a free pot at goal as we did with Muamba twice last tuesday - thankfully he couldn't hit a cows arse with an exocet but better players and teams will punish us from set pieces
Last edited by Goaters 103 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum