Mancini OUT

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mancini OUT

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Dunne is the best defender we've had for maybe 15 years or more IMO.

He's one of the favourites to get POTY for Villa. That would be five POTY awards in 6 years for Dunne if he wins it. Remarkable. I think we as city fans in the last few years have a tendancy to admire the dribbling/step over players and defend them to the hilt, whilst dissing the players who give more and love the club more, which is a shame...

Very few will ever have a bad word said about Ali Bernarbia, even though he was very average in the premier league and was excellent in Div 1. A club legend, some will say.

Yet the same people will say "Richard Dunne, delighted to see the back of him" or "Richard Dunne? Nuff said!"

The way of the world I suppose...

I always have love for those who love the club (they have to be decent players too!), its a mutual thing I suppose and I can't help it. On the flip side, if someone tries to cause disharmony/lack of loyalty towards us, I grow to hate them.
Original Dub

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Original Dub wrote:Dunne is the best defender we've had for maybe 15 years or more IMO.

He's one of the favourites to get POTY for Villa. That would be five POTY awards in 6 years for Dunne if he wins it. Remarkable. I think we as city fans in the last few years have a tendancy to admire the dribbling/step over players and defend them to the hilt, whilst dissing the players who give more and love the club more, which is a shame...

Very few will ever have a bad word said about Ali Bernarbia, even though he was very average in the premier league and was excellent in Div 1. A club legend, some will say.

Yet the same people will say "Richard Dunne, delighted to see the back of him" or "Richard Dunne? Nuff said!"

I always have love for those who love the club (they have to be decent players too!), its a mutual thing I suppose and I can't help it. On the flip side, if someone tries to cause disharmony/lack of loyalty towards us, I grow to hate them.

It should've been him holding the carling cup aloft for us tbh honest... dunne > ...... > ...... > ...... > ...... > boyata
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Disagree - although there is no way of resolving it.

Simply, my view is based on the fact that we stayed in the Premiership without scoring goals - it was all about the defence at the end of the Pearce period - conceded 44 that season (none in the last 15 minutes of games h'apparently), we've conceded 32 this season already, despite being on a different planet.

My take on it is that Dunne is effective in defensive teams but only up to a point. If he's exposed he's useless & gets worse eventually descending into panic. Also, people may have forgotton but we used to let in goals from corners all the time before Pearce improved it by being ultra defensive. Dunne was playing then & often the man beaten. If Dunne has to be relied upon to win headers he always goes missing several times during a game even when looking otherwise dominant & has come 2nd best to & conceded goals to ALL the decent headers of a ball in the PL whilst marking them at City including Carew, Heskey, RSC, Terry, Lescott, there are many many more.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Dunne had to go because he needed a new challenge. The sending off against Hamburg finished him, IMHO. Far too many Own Goals, Red Cards and faults for opposition Goals last season. It was heartbreaking to see him almost degenerate in to a former shadow of himself. Sometimes I used to think that his classic performances caused Fans to see no bad when he made howlers on the field. The likes of Sun Jihai or David Sommeil would have been strung up from a Lampost for that.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby ant london » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Original Dub wrote:Dunne is the best defender we've had for maybe 15 years or more IMO.

I thought Sylvain was by far the better centre half of the two. Less error-prone, just as good in the air, better footballer.

Dunne won POTY in my view for very sentimental reasons of having been through thick and thin with us....but also, let's not forget, that for at least 3 of those 5 seasons his teammates were pretty fucking average.

He was a great servant to the club but I would argue that he had one (when him and Micah dominated all season for us), maybe two seasons were he looked top class in the PL, the rest he just stood out amongst the dross he was teamed with.

Towards the end I thought he was somewhere between ok and terrible. And his cock-ups pushed me over the edge and I was very very glad to see him pursue his career elsewhere.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 pm

ant london wrote:I thought Sylvain was by far the better centre half of the two. Less error-prone, just as good in the air, better footballer.

Dunne won POTY in my view for very sentimental reasons of having been through thick and thin with us....but also, let's not forget, that for at least 3 of those 5 seasons his teammates were pretty fucking average.

He was a great servant to the club but I would argue that he had one (when him and Micah dominated all season for us), maybe two seasons were he looked top class in the PL, the rest he just stood out amongst the dross he was teamed with.

Towards the end I thought he was somewhere between ok and terrible. And his cock-ups pushed me over the edge and I was very very glad to see him pursue his career elsewhere.

The sum was greater than the individual with D&D. Dunne's Rock presence in the Defence was the perfect counterbalance for Distin's pace. They were definitely a double act - although the better form of Richards was also a good combination for Dunne.

Fully agree that he needed to leave. Watching him earn his testimonial whilst spending half of the season as a Sub would've been heartbreaking.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 pm

btajim wrote:
ant london wrote:I thought Sylvain was by far the better centre half of the two. Less error-prone, just as good in the air, better footballer.

The sum was greater than the individual with D&D. Dunne's Rock presence in the Defence was the perfect counterbalance for Distin's pace. They were definitely a double act - although the better form of Richards was also a good combination for Dunne.

Fully agree that he needed to leave. Watching him earn his testimonial whilst spending half of the season as a Sub would've been heartbreaking.

there's no fucking way he'd have been a sub for half of this season Jim. Back in the starting line up within 4 games. Him and Toure actually looked really quite promising together - since then it's been a farce.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby ant london » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:01 pm

there's no fucking way he'd have been a sub for half of this season Jim. Back in the starting line up within 4 games. Him and Toure actually looked really quite promising together - since then it's been a farce.

The poverty of our defending I totally agree with you upon.

I also don't disagree that he would've got in the side in the light of the form of Kolo, Joleon et al

But I also don't think we'd have seen the form we have seen from him for Villa if he'd still been operating in our familiar surroundings. Maybe I'm wrong and the superior quality of teammates/competition for places would have spurred him to raise his game but I actually doubt that would've been the case (although I don't think we are going to find much mutual ground on this particular debate!)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:07 pm

I agree Dunne would have got games this season & was against selling him but that doesn't mean I think he had a future at City because I'm certain he didn't unless we got a Moyes or ONeil as manager.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:11 pm

btajim wrote:

Absolutely.

Some are saying he needed to go and he was getting worse... he'd a shit season, but none of our defenders were any use. The fact is if you are consistantly the last line of defence there is a much bigger chance that when you do make a mistake it will result in a goal. He was always the last line of defence. Always in the right place at the right time. No other defender we've had for an age came near him in that regard.... like Carragher at Liverpool, who incidently has a similar red card/own goal tally.

No, he would have raised his game, I have liitel doubt about that. He's immense for Ireland, even against Italy and France - top quality opposition. Himself and Toure or Lescott would have really really helped us.

Selling him was a BIG BIG mistake.

£5m? But we needed the money....
Original Dub

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I agree Dunne would have got games this season & was against selling him but that doesn't mean I think he had a future at City because I'm certain he didn't unless we got a Moyes or ONeil as manager.

Or an Eriksson... I'm prepared to bet Mancho would've been pretty happy to have him here too.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:19 pm

btajim wrote:Fully agree that he needed to leave. Watching him earn his testimonial whilst spending half of the season as a Sub would've been heartbreaking.

Hughes clearly signed Toure and Lescott as the first choice pairing at Centre Half. Sticking my neck out, I think he'd have given them time to gel before looking at someone like Dunne to come in and save the Defensive blushes. If Hughes had considered Dunne to be up to the job then he wouldn't have continued to push for Lescott despite Dunne's bright pre-season / first few Matches. Lescott made his debut against Palace, IIRC.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby s1ty m » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:22 pm

btajim wrote:Dunne had to go because he needed a new challenge. The sending off against Hamburg finished him, IMHO. Far too many Own Goals, Red Cards and faults for opposition Goals last season. It was heartbreaking to see him almost degenerate in to a former shadow of himself. Sometimes I used to think that his classic performances caused Fans to see no bad when he made howlers on the field. The likes of Sun Jihai or David Sommeil would have been strung up from a Lampost for that.

100% agree. Dunne was immaculate for 95% of the time, like Mick McCarthy was. And then he would unravel, like McCarthy. Great servant to our club, but Dunne will not be part of a title push for anyone. If we are serious about winning the league, as we should be with our wallet (2010 perhaps, 2011 surely?), Dunne is not no way and never will be what is required. Move on people, good luck Dunney.

Distin was a better footballer, imo. In almost every aspect of the game. As an aside, Distin was the best left back we have had in as long as I can recall, a position he played sublimely in his first season with us, switching to centre half when howey went.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 pm

btajim wrote:
btajim wrote:Fully agree that he needed to leave. Watching him earn his testimonial whilst spending half of the season as a Sub would've been heartbreaking.

Hughes clearly signed Toure and Lescott as the first choice pairing at Centre Half. Sticking my neck out, I think he'd have given them time to gel before looking at someone like Dunne to come in and save the Defensive blushes. If Hughes had considered Dunne to be up to the job then he wouldn't have continued to push for Lescott despite Dunne's bright pre-season / first few Matches. Lescott made his debut against Palace, IIRC.

Hughes (or Cook - i kow there is at least some evidence that he was responsible) saw his arse completely off-loading the bigman. probably cost him his job - certainly sorted Villa's season out for them.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I agree Dunne would have got games this season & was against selling him but that doesn't mean I think he had a future at City because I'm certain he didn't unless we got a Moyes or ONeil as manager.

Or an Eriksson... I'm prepared to bet Mancho would've been pretty happy to have him here too.

Short term yes but longer term no, he want's better footballers there imo, as did Hughes.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Short term yes but longer term no, he want's better footballers there imo, as did Hughes.

shame he had no idea what one looked like then.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

shame he had no idea what one looked like then.

I think Kompany, Toure & Lescott are all pretty good footballers for defenders but we haven't found a partnership that works properly yet & perhaps we won't find one good enough for the very top level out of those 3. I'd like to see Kompany & Lescott tried together but obviously we then wouldn't have a real speed merhant in there. Boyata's a good footballer too & I recon that's why he's been playing more than Ned but obviously he's not ready yet.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum