What has happened to us?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What has happened to us?

Postby Slim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 am

We were 12th, I believe we lost to Bolton and that was the final straw for Keegan. Pearce came in, lost the first game to Spurs and then went unbeaten for the rest of the season.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john@staustell » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:28 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
King Kev wrote:
john@staustell wrote:I only became a City fan when Joe Mercer was manager, and we used to moan at the team then!
Exactly! It's nothing new and nothing to do with the money.

Vert true, it's always been there. I have been a City fan that long that I don't work off expectation, I just take every game as it comes and hope for a good day out, with the win being a bonus.

I suppose some people can see the finishing line in sight and want it there now, but for me, I see it as the start of a marathon every game.

In starting this thread 'avoid confusion' chappy, you're sort of undermining yourself by saying Pearce if your hero and your first manager etc. Because to most of us his full season was easily the worst since Frank Clark - easily.

I very well remember the great team of the late 70s, which lost the league by one point (a Dave Watson own goal home to champions Liverpool). They usually used to win every home game 3 or 4 nil. But woe betide the team if they hadn't scored in the first 15 minutes - boos, moans, groans. City fans were, at the time, notorious for it and in that respect I dont believe we have changed one bit. We are strange, that's why we still go to watch in Div 2 - just to cheer and to moan!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 am

Slim wrote:We were 12th, I believe we lost to Bolton and that was the final straw for Keegan. Pearce came in, lost the first game to Spurs and then went unbeaten for the rest of the season.

Well 12th then. We weren't that close to relegation though. It was Keegan's announcement of retirement that did it for him though. Typical hand it the heart stuff from him but as stupid move as any.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 am

Slim wrote:We were 12th, I believe we lost to Bolton and that was the final straw for Keegan. Pearce came in, lost the first game to Spurs and then went unbeaten for the rest of the season.

And then had an excellent start the following season.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 am

john@staustell wrote:
In starting this thread 'avoid confusion' chappy, you're sort of undermining yourself by saying Pearce if your hero and your first manager etc. Because to most of us his full season was easily the worst since Frank Clark - easily.

I very well remember the great team of the late 70s, which lost the league by one point (a Dave Watson own goal home to champions Liverpool). They usually used to win every home game 3 or 4 nil. But woe betide the team if they hadn't scored in the first 15 minutes - boos, moans, groans. City fans were, at the time, notorious for it and in that respect I dont believe we have changed one bit. We are strange, that's why we still go to watch in Div 2 - just to cheer and to moan!

Err... where exactly did I say that Pearce was my hero? I thought he was terrible.

And I meant the 2003/2004 season. I got to know my wife in 2003 when Keegan was still in charge, and he nearly got us relegated, did we not finish 16th with 41 points and it took us to the very last game to secure our stay in the Premier League?

Looks like I mixed up the year Pearce took over though, but in his first season we only finished just above the relegation zone on 15th, so that's where my confusion stemmed from, sorry. But certainly did not mean to depict him as my hero.

And yeah I was not aware that things have pretty much apparently always been like this (the moaning etc.) . The only City fans I had contact with before I signed up for this forum (and bluemoon) were my wife and her family really.

I did see City play a couple of times, and the first time I went we were sat between the away fans and the home fans (singing section) and I think that's what was the final piece of turning me into a City fan. It was Everton at home and we beat them 2:1 and Samaras scored. The singing section was brilliant, I had not laughed that much in a long time. The City fans were constantly taking the piss out of the Everton fans who were completely quiet apart from one topless fat bloke.

City fans were singing things like "Everton shall we sing a song for you?" and then even "Everton Everton Everton" mixed up with the occasional banter for the topless fat bloke ("Hey Fattie, what's the score?") .... it was great.

What I am trying to say is... I never had the impression that City fans were always moaning but that's problem my own naivety.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 am

avoidconfusion wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Err... where exactly did I say that Pearce was my hero? I thought he was terrible.

And I meant the 2003/2004 season. I got to know my wife in 2003 when Keegan was still in charge, and he nearly got us relegated, did we not finish 16th with 41 points and it took us to the very last game to secure our stay in the Premier League?

Looks like I mixed up the year Pearce took over though, but in his first season we only finished just above the relegation zone on 15th, so that's where my confusion stemmed from, sorry. But certainly did not mean to depict him as my hero.

And yeah I was not aware that things have pretty much apparently always been like this (the moaning etc.) . The only City fans I had contact with before I signed up for this forum (and bluemoon) were my wife and her family really.

I did see City play a couple of times, and the first time I went we were sat between the away fans and the home fans (singing section) and I think that's what was the final piece of turning me into a City fan. It was Everton at home and we beat them 2:1 and Samaras scored. The singing section was brilliant, I had not laughed that much in a long time. The City fans were constantly taking the piss out of the Everton fans who were completely quiet apart from one topless fat bloke.

City fans were singing things like "Everton shall we sing a song for you?" and then even "Everton Everton Everton" mixed up with the occasional banter for the topless fat bloke ("Hey Fattie, what's the score?") .... it was great.

What I am trying to say is... I never had the impression that City fans were always moaning but that's problem my own naivety.

Really mate? I thought we were famous for that. We've had managers leaving after few weeks because they couldn't take the pressure. It's same for the players. The upside is that if you do well for us, you will be eternally adored like in no other club. Take likes of Goater, Kinkladze and Rosler for example.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:15 am

Honestly. For me the typical City was always the rollercoaster kind of stuff where you beat United one week and then lose to Reading or some other shit team the next.

Like I said I didn't have that much exposure to other City fans until I signed up on some forums a while back.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:46 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Well 12th then. We weren't that close to relegation though. It was Keegan's announcement of retirement that did it for him though. Typical hand it the heart stuff from him but as stupid move as any.

Could we be in a similar situation now? That the players aren't sure if Mancini will be around, or even know from their contacts, that Mancini is only here for 6 months or that Mourinho has been offered the job? Or worse, they know that they hold his future in their hands so if they cruise through some games they may get Moiurinho or Hiddink?

Can't be good for team or Manager that no one from the club has ever come out & said publicly that he's staying & his interviews seem to suggest a trial period too.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum