What has happened to us?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What has happened to us?

Postby Crossie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Its not wrong to expect us to beat Stoke at home.

we started really well, scored, then didnt seem arsed.

I woke up this morning really thinking I might have some time away from football and see if I miss it. Then I thought no, City are going through ANOTHER transition to a new manager and new methods with someone elses players.

Id have thought Mancini would have bought a few more players in the window, but if we make 4th, even if we do it ugly, I'll be very very happy.

The chance we have now for 4th is fucking fantastic, im just very very worried that we are going to fuck it up based on current performance
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Crossie wrote:Its not wrong to expect us to beat Stoke at home.

I woke up this morning really thinking I might have some time away from football and see if I miss it. Then I thought no, City are going through ANOTHER transition to a new manager and new methods with someone elses players.

Id have thought Mancini would have bought a few more players in the window, but if we make 4th, even if we do it ugly, I'll be very very happy.

The chance we have now for 4th is fucking fantastic, im just very very worried that we are going to fuck it up based on current performance

Agree with all that except the first bit. It's not wrong to expect to be very confident of winning that sort of game but that is different from "expecting to win." Th etop sides sometimes slip up in these games. Even when we get to the very top it will still be possible. This 100% expectation business is getting on my wick a bit.

For my part, if we continue to win around 60% of our matches, I will be happy. I am confident we will see more adventurous football in time. For now it's get the defence sorted and get the results. I can live with that.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Socrates wrote:

Agree with all that except the first bit. It's not wrong to expect to be very confident of winning that sort of game but that is different from "expecting to win." Th etop sides sometimes slip up in these games. Even when we get to the very top it will still be possible. This 100% expectation business is getting on my wick a bit.

For my part, if we continue to win around 60% of our matches, I will be happy. I am confident we will see more adventurous football in time. For now it's get the defence sorted and get the results. I can live with that.

I agree. these results do sometimes happen but all top sides expect to beat teams like Stoke & when they don't, are surprised & disappointed just like you were when we drew against such teams earlier in the season & it was presumably why so many people were on here spewing with anger. Could have done with the calming influence of you & others at that time but it seemed to be completely missing.

Bit difficult to have the 'winning mentality' everyone says we need without expecting to win btw.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:

I agree. these results do sometimes happen but all top sides expect to beat teams like Stoke & when they don't, are surprised & disappointed just like you were when we drew against such teams earlier in the season & it was presumably why so many people were on here spewing with anger. Could have done with the calming influence of you & others at that time but it seemed to be completely missing.

Bit difficult to have the 'winning mentality' everyone says we need without expecting to win btw.

If we go 10 games with only 1 win I promise not to stay calm...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Funny I thought it kicked off after the 1st one not the tenth.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Funny I thought it kicked off after the 1st one not the tenth.

I never had kneejerk reactions to any individual result, can't speak for others though...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Ah that "disgraceful run" we were on where we drew with all those teams, some of them well earned points, some of them poor results....

Are you really happy you got the man you wanted in charge?

Tell me how you feel about the style of football?
How do you feel about getting knocked out of the Carling Cup?
How do feel about the Mancini being responsible for the worst performance of the season AND the worst result?

Because from here, you just seem happy that you got what you asked/campaigned for, which would be ridiculous because you are a football fan and a city fan, not a mancini fan, right?

Anyway, I'll be interested in hearing your responses, because you seem delighted so far, when the multitudes clearly aren't. You must be seeing something we're not? Long ball Blackburn style?

Hmmm...
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This from a feller who demanded me to criticize Mancini on another thread.

Wasn't so much about Mancini as it was about pointing out your double standards. I see you yet again are trying to derail a thread.

well I've seen more than four City managers. So call that quadromillion standards.

I just wanted to apologize for this now that I read it again. It was cuntish thing to say. I had had fair few Newcastle Brown Ales and couple of screwdrivers and was seriously pissed off about the performance last night.

Surely you mean the result, because you couldn't care less about how we perform, no?
Original Dub

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Original Dub wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This from a feller who demanded me to criticize Mancini on another thread.

Wasn't so much about Mancini as it was about pointing out your double standards. I see you yet again are trying to derail a thread.

well I've seen more than four City managers. So call that quadromillion standards.

I just wanted to apologize for this now that I read it again. It was cuntish thing to say. I had had fair few Newcastle Brown Ales and couple of screwdrivers and was seriously pissed off about the performance last night.

Surely you mean the result, because you couldn't care less about how we perform, no?

It can't have been the result because apparently drawing 1-1 at home with stoke is acceptable.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:42 pm

It can't have been the result because apparently drawing 1-1 at home with stoke is acceptable.

True - so what were you so seriously pissed off about Antti?
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Original Dub wrote:

True - so what were you so seriously pissed off about Antti?

both, like I said, results first and foremost. We will have to go to replay now and it will hard that.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:

Ah that "disgraceful run" we were on where we drew with all those teams, some of them well earned points, some of them poor results....

Are you really happy you got the man you wanted in charge?

Tell me how you feel about the style of football?
How do you feel about getting knocked out of the Carling Cup?
How do feel about the Mancini being responsible for the worst performance of the season AND the worst result?

Because from here, you just seem happy that you got what you asked/campaigned for, which would be ridiculous because you are a football fan and a city fan, not a mancini fan, right?

Anyway, I'll be interested in hearing your responses, because you seem delighted so far, when the multitudes clearly aren't. You must be seeing something we're not? Long ball Blackburn style?

Hmmm...

Can't wait for the transition to end so the style of football improves to match the results to date. Once he is confident in the defence I am sure we will see some more open football.
We at least won a leg of the Carling Cup, that's better than Hughes managed against the rags. (Please don't tell me that you think that because we beat Scunthorpe with Hughes we'd have beaten the Rags?)
Which was the worst result then? I thought Burnley at home was the worst given that they hadn't even scored away from home before they came to us. He certainly hasn't produced anything to match last year's FA Cup though that's for sure...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Ah you see Socrates, you're making comparrisons with two different squads, that's just not fair, so I think its best if we stay on this season, yeah?

Ok so, you think Burnley was the worst result of the season (I'd say United fans would say the same). A game we should have gotten three points no doubt about it. We got one though. Hull away - a game we should have won, we got NONE. When we underperformed we got points under hughes this season. Playing the brand of football we play now, if we under perfom we will lose no doubt about it.

And finally for the semi final of the cup that Hughes got us to? I think we would have finished them in the first leg, but its pure speculation so I think it best that we leave that?
Original Dub

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Original Dub wrote:Ah you see Socrates, you're making comparrisons with two different squads, that's just not fair, so I think its best if we stay on this season, yeah?

Ok so, you think Burnley was the worst result of the season (I'd say U***d fans would say the same). A game we should have gotten three points no doubt about it. We got one though. Hull away - a game we should have won, we got NONE. When we underperformed we got points under hughes this season. Playing the brand of football we play now, if we under perfom we will lose no doubt about it.

And finally for the semi final of the cup that Hughes got us to? I think we would have finished them in the first leg, but its pure speculation so I think it best that we leave that?

You are comparing a manager who had chosen his own players with one who has to work with what he inherited so I think comparisons between this season and last season are more valid. When we underperformed with Hughes we got a draw, when we didn't underperform we still got a draw! Better to win 3 and lose 3 than draw 6. Hughes got us to a Semi whoopeeeedooo. Bring in Allardyce, he got their too and got wanky wanderers to the final once! Truth is we beat Asenal's youth side and Scunthorpe. Hughes didn't get a result against the Rags in 3 attempts but magically we'd have finished them off in the first leg? You are delusional. Let's see what happens once Mancini has sorted out Leslie's shit defence shall we?
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Socrates wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Ah you see Socrates, you're making comparrisons with two different squads, that's just not fair, so I think its best if we stay on this season, yeah?

Ok so, you think Burnley was the worst result of the season (I'd say U***d fans would say the same). A game we should have gotten three points no doubt about it. We got one though. Hull away - a game we should have won, we got NONE. When we underperformed we got points under hughes this season. Playing the brand of football we play now, if we under perfom we will lose no doubt about it.

You are comparing a manager who had chosen his own players with one who has to work with what he inherited so I think comparisons between this season and last season are more valid. When we underperformed with Hughes we got a draw, when we didn't underperform we still got a draw! Better to win 3 and lose 3 than draw 6. Hughes got us to a Semi whoopeeeedooo. Bring in Allardyce, he got their too and got wanky wanderers to the final once! Truth is we beat Asenal's youth side and Scunthorpe. Hughes didn't get a result against the Rags in 3 attempts but magically we'd have finished them off in the first leg? You are delusional. Let's see what happens once Mancini has sorted out Leslie's shit defence shall we?

You're dead right mate, but we already knew that didn't we....

When you said you have been proven right in wanting rid of the guy who was turning us into the "butchers of blackburn" and we got Mancini, right?

Only, you were a bit shy in coming forward with the actual "proof".

do you realise how many unhappy fans there are at the minute, and its not because of results chief, its because we are playing some of the poorest football in the whole league. Certainly out of the top six.

You talk about Mancini inheriting players that weren't his... the poor guy.. Everyone outside the top three would KILL for that squad. The difference was that when he got them, they'd been playing together for almost six months.

Hughes lost by one goal at the swamp, Mancini lost by 2.

We are talking about this season though, you keep forgetting that and comparing the squad hughes had last season to the one Mancini has now. Silly boy.

Like I said, it would be pure speculation to say hughes would have gotten us through, but dress it up whatever way you want - he got us to our first semi in fucking YEARS and Mancini got us knocked out. The arsenal kids you are referring to have been knocking out premier league opposition for years and had just knocked out Liverpool in case you forgot. We made them look like fucking school kids. We SPANKED them, because when teams come to Eastlands they know they will be bombarded from start to finish, right?

We haven't lost at home for nearly a year (not bad Mark, thanks again). I hope to fuck I'm saying the same thing come sunday evening.

Replying to your posts it may seem like I'm berating Mancini, but its just that you campaigned so much for this change and therefore its only natural I throw the comparrisons up when needed.

I really hope Mancini shuts my fucking mouth and turns this robotic, scared bollox around... but you should redeem yourself slightly and say so far its not looking good for him.
Original Dub

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:08 pm

He hasn't even been here two fucking months yet so I will say no such thing. I have every confidence in his ability to continue to win more than 60% of the time. Something Hughes will never manage in his career. I expect that once he has a settled defence, the manner of our regular victories will also improve.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:17 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:Something just hit me and maybe I am not the only one but.... I only became a City supporter about 6-7 years ago when Keegan nearly got us relegated and Pearce won those last few games and we finished 17th just about.I still hate my wife for turning me into a City fan sometimes by the way...

But that's not the point... I just thought to myself... what the fuck has happened to us fans? Ever since the money came in I feel like my expectations are astronomical... I am sure a lot of you feel sort of the same.

I know the performances have been anything between excellent and shit but let's look at how far we have come. Joint 4th in the League with 2 games in hand.... still in the FA cup (yes today was shit I know)... I know the football at the moment is dire at times recently and hardly bearable but maybe we all (me included) need to relax a little bit and enjoy these times a bit more...

This is not meant as criticism, it's just something that came to me a few minutes ago... I suddenly felt really ungrateful and spoilt just because we drew today (yes we should have won but I guess shit happens) when only a few seasons ago we nearly got relegated...

What do you guys think?

I think we finished 8th that year and haven't finished as high since!
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:23 pm

johnpb78 wrote:bollocks

thats it, thanks

Agree 100%.

We aren't unreasonable, spoilt or demanding. What we have been given, for the first time in umpteen years, is the genuine hope that City could win something and actually be competitive at footballs top table. A draw at home to Stoke in a generally piss poor performance would be criticised by the fans of any prem club including the Pompey jokeshop.

Or perhaps we should go back to accepting being "good old City," the butt of everyone's jokes, a general football world piss-take and a million miles from contention arse kicking around in the bottom half with players like Joey Barton as our top man?

I've had a season ticket at City for 33 seasons and seen us win the square route of fucl all in the way of a tangible trophy; I've been patient, dedicated, committed, the whole 9 yards. With the money we now have, and the squad we now have its time we won something in the next 3 years minimum. If that means I've changed as a fan or "something has happened to me" and other Blues like me who feel that way, then so be it - how dare expect us to win something given the current football landscape eh?
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:Something just hit me and maybe I am not the only one but.... I only became a City supporter about 6-7 years ago when Keegan nearly got us relegated and Pearce won those last few games and we finished 17th just about.I still hate my wife for turning me into a City fan sometimes by the way...

But that's not the point... I just thought to myself... what the fuck has happened to us fans? Ever since the money came in I feel like my expectations are astronomical... I am sure a lot of you feel sort of the same.

I know the performances have been anything between excellent and shit but let's look at how far we have come. Joint 4th in the League with 2 games in hand.... still in the FA cup (yes today was shit I know)... I know the football at the moment is dire at times recently and hardly bearable but maybe we all (me included) need to relax a little bit and enjoy these times a bit more...

This is not meant as criticism, it's just something that came to me a few minutes ago... I suddenly felt really ungrateful and spoilt just because we drew today (yes we should have won but I guess shit happens) when only a few seasons ago we nearly got relegated...

What do you guys think?

correct! one missed Fowler penalty away from the UEFA Cup.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:33 am

Socrates wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

What do you guys think?

correct! one missed Fowler penalty away from the UEFA Cup.

but the comment that we were heading for relegation under Keegan is a myth. We were 10th or 11th to my recollection when he was sacked and it wasn't so much the results why he got the boot.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum