What has happened to us?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What has happened to us?

Postby avoidconfusion » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Something just hit me and maybe I am not the only one but.... I only became a City supporter about 6-7 years ago when Keegan nearly got us relegated and Pearce won those last few games and we finished 17th just about.

I still hate my wife for turning me into a City fan sometimes by the way...

But that's not the point... I just thought to myself... what the fuck has happened to us fans? Ever since the money came in I feel like my expectations are astronomical... I am sure a lot of you feel sort of the same.

I know the performances have been anything between excellent and shit but let's look at how far we have come. Joint 4th in the League with 2 games in hand.... still in the FA cup (yes today was shit I know)... I know the football at the moment is dire at times recently and hardly bearable but maybe we all (me included) need to relax a little bit and enjoy these times a bit more...

This is not meant as criticism, it's just something that came to me a few minutes ago... I suddenly felt really ungrateful and spoilt just because we drew today (yes we should have won but I guess shit happens) when only a few seasons ago we nearly got relegated...

What do you guys think?
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Re: What has happened to us?

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:59 pm

bollocks

thats it, thanks
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Mike J » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:00 am

the expectation has raised, and rightly so. we have spent £242 million odd on players. what we saw today was shockingly bad and surely its the tactics they are being asked to play. i wasnt even a fan of hughes but what we are seeing is far far worse. it actually does look like a pearce team. personally i was disgusted today.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:02 am

This from a feller who demanded me to criticize Mancini on another thread.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby avoidconfusion » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:09 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This from a feller who demanded me to criticize Mancini on another thread.

Wasn't so much about Mancini as it was about pointing out your double standards. I see you yet again are trying to derail a thread.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby viking the Odd » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 am

I don't think the queation should be 'whats happend to us' rather it should read 'what's happening to us'
It does not take a Genius to work this one out.
viking the Odd
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:30 am

avoidconfusion wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This from a feller who demanded me to criticize Mancini on another thread.

Wasn't so much about Mancini as it was about pointing out your double standards. I see you yet again are trying to derail a thread.

well I've seen more than four City managers. So call that quadromillion standards.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:00 am

avoidconfusion wrote:Something just hit me and maybe I am not the only one but.... I only became a City supporter about 6-7 years ago when Keegan nearly got us relegated and Pearce won those last few games and we finished 17th just about.

I still hate my wife for turning me into a City fan sometimes by the way...

But that's not the point... I just thought to myself... what the fuck has happened to us fans? Ever since the money came in I feel like my expectations are astronomical... I am sure a lot of you feel sort of the same.

I know the performances have been anything between excellent and shit but let's look at how far we have come. Joint 4th in the League with 2 games in hand.... still in the FA cup (yes today was shit I know)... I know the football at the moment is dire at times recently and hardly bearable but maybe we all (me included) need to relax a little bit and enjoy these times a bit more...

This is not meant as criticism, it's just something that came to me a few minutes ago... I suddenly felt really ungrateful and spoilt just because we drew today (yes we should have won but I guess shit happens) when only a few seasons ago we nearly got relegated...

What do you guys think?

Nice post mate. I am in a similar situation, although I only became a City fan in the season Sven was our manager, so I'm an even more recent fan than you, lol.

I think that with the money available and the spending we have done, expectations needed to be raised. Maybe we are asking a bit too much when we ask for both results and entertaining football at the same time, we are not at that level yet, and we might have to choose between two roads to reach it, entertaining football with the possibility of bad results and missing the targets, or a more cautious approach to grind out the results we need, although it is not guaranteed to work.

We tried the first road, but the owners decided we weren't going to reach our goal with it, and the next man believes in the second approach. We will have to judge by the results he achieves if he is right or not, but criticizing him now seems a bit pointless to me. We are stuck with him until the end of the season, at least.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby john@staustell » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 am

I only became a City fan when Joe Mercer was manager, and we used to moan at the team then!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:58 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

well I've seen more than four City managers. So call that quadromillion standards.

I just wanted to apologize for this now that I read it again. It was cuntish thing to say. I had had fair few Newcastle Brown Ales and couple of screwdrivers and was seriously pissed off about the performance last night.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:14 am

avoidconfusion wrote:

I just wanted to apologize for this now that I read it again. It was cuntish thing to say. I had had fair few Newcastle Brown Ales and couple of screwdrivers and was seriously pissed off about the performance last night.

No need to apologise Antti

Firstly I didn't understand what you wrote

Secondly, we all know you're a bit cuntish so it was nothing out of the ordinary ;-) hahaha
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby King Kev » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 am

john@staustell wrote:I only became a City fan when Joe Mercer was manager, and we used to moan at the team then!
Exactly! It's nothing new and nothing to do with the money.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby HeyMark » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:28 am

avoidconfusion wrote:

I was gonna pull you up about this comment last night but changed my mind, good thing I did! Takes a big man to apologise mate!
HeyMark
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 am

King Kev wrote:
john@staustell wrote:I only became a City fan when Joe Mercer was manager, and we used to moan at the team then!
Exactly! It's nothing new and nothing to do with the money.

Vert true, it's always been there. I have been a City fan that long that I don't work off expectation, I just take every game as it comes and hope for a good day out, with the win being a bonus.

I suppose some people can see the finishing line in sight and want it there now, but for me, I see it as the start of a marathon every game.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:39 am

Money ruins people.

Luckily, no City fan I know in real life is even half as stupid as some people on this board. I think some people on here are just attention seeking.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Wooders » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:05 pm

we're moaning because we should be being served up better football than we are at the moment, most teams in the prem don't have a squad as good as ours, and I would go as far to say that includes liverpool and maybe even arsenal, but the quality of football has nosedived pretty badly
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:12 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:

You pointing out NQDP's double standards reminds me of the "I'm Spartacus' clip where people act as one

I'm Spartacus
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Wooders wrote:we're moaning because we should be being served up better football than we are at the moment, most teams in the prem don't have a squad as good as ours, and I would go as far to say that includes liverpool and maybe even arsenal, but the quality of football has nosedived pretty badly

I mentioned to my mate after Mancio's first game, that I hoped we would not be adopting that sort of system/tactics as our game play will start going down hill (players not enjoying the over-disciplined approach), yet he just laughed it off. He came back to me after the Pompey and Bolton games and said - 'You were right, and now I see what you mean'.

Also, a staunch 'Hughes Outer' stood up midway through the first half and screamed - 'Mancini you twat....if I wanted to watch this shit then I wouldn't have wanted Hughes sacked'.

So, I'd say the general feeling around the ground after listening to many people there is that we are not getting the quality of football that we craive!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:38 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

You pointing out NQDP's double standards reminds me of the "I'm Spartacus' clip where people act as one

I'm Spartacus

Look kiddo, I've been trying to deal with you through PM about this. You are not co-operating at all and it leads me to believe that your sole aim of being here is to just cause pointless and petty arguments.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:19 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

I'm Spartacus

Can you please just forget about Sparkytus. He's gone. He's not coming back...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum