Given optimistic about Blues' FA Cup dream

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Given optimistic about Blues' FA Cup dream

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:25 am

City may have conceded home advantage to Stoke in the FA Cup, but Shay Given believes the Blues still have a great chance of progressing to the quarter-finals.

With another two games against the Potters to come in quick succession, Given says the team will have to be at their best if they are to leave the Britannia Stadium with two victories.

“We’re disappointed because we had home advantage and thought we could go on and win the game but we’re still in the draw for the next round,” he said.

“Now we have got to go to Stoke now and battle to get through to the quarter-finals.”

City conceded a classic Stoke sucker-punch goal via Rory Delap’s monster throw-in, but up until then, Given felt the Blues had coped comfortably at the back with the visitors’ set-pieces.

“I didn’t think we defended too badly today,” he said. “It’s worth remembering that a number of good defences have conceded goals to Rory Delap’s long throw-in.

"The frustrating thing was we had about
10 players back and they had four in
our box but still managed to score with
pretty much a free header"

“We’re continuing to work on defending set-pieces and it does take time because there’s no magic wand you can wave over the defence as a unit. We watch videos and know what to expect, but it’s hard to defend against.”

Given also had praise for team-mate Wayne Bridge who has looked in fine form since his return to the first-team.

“I thought Wayne was one of our best players today and I hear the England manager was here today so I don’t think he will have done his World Cup chances any harm at all,” he said. “He got forward often and defended well, too.

“Of course, you can’t help but miss players of Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy’s quality but we still had a great team out there today but we just couldn’t find the second goal we needed to kill the game off.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Given optimistic about Blues' FA Cup dream

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:31 am

there's not a chance of that bunch of work shy wasters getting a thing from either visit to stoke. The only hope will be if bellamy & tevez are back. Someone buy the rags a 5 for that feckin banner, they're gonna need it
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Re: Given optimistic about Blues' FA Cup dream

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:09 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:there's not a chance of that bunch of work shy wasters getting a thing from either visit to stoke. The only hope will be if bellamy & tevez are back. Someone buy the rags a 5 for that feckin banner, they're gonna need it

Nothing like a positive attitude hey?! They must be so glad they have supporters like us cheering them on every week!
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum