Booing and attendence

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Booing and attendence

Postby btajim » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

I think the fact that yesterday's Crowd would have seen empty Seats at Maine Road is something that people need to take on board. It's hardly as if we're also Home on Tuesday or something.

Yes, I wasn't there - but I make trips for Matches that are on telly too. Just not yesterday.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:01 pm

King Kev wrote:
rick1894citizen wrote:The attendance was pathetic but apart from the hardcore of fans who go each week, we seem to have alot of a whiney little bitches who come up with bullshit excuses to try and feel less guilty about not going, most other clubs in our financial position would be selling out every week and not at the cheap prices we charge.

If your watching on the tele your a cunt will soon be our anthem although that would mean we'd actually have to sing and support the lads so might just become/ remain a library.
I was going to post something about the hardcore of 25000-28000 earlier but twice deleted what I had typed because I realised that it was part of that hardcore that was booing at the end!

Maybe we just need to get used to the fact that we no longer can claim to have a great support.

The hardcore isn't even that big for Cup games Lee. Lots of people take the chance to take their kids to a Cup game and the crowd is substantially softcore support. Myself included. Wasn't 100% sure I was ready for the stress of a game again (nearly ended up in hospital last time as I got so hyperglycemic) but it was my friend's lad's birthday and he has never been so I got us 3 tickets and we went. I got the impression that several of the people around me had never been to a game before either. Either the make up of the crowd has changed a lot since I was a regular or it was very much a "Cup game" crowd.
Last edited by Socrates on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Colin the King » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Unfortunately it's got to the stage where you can count great atmospheres on one hand. I can only think of Hamburg, two wins over Arsenal and Chelsea a few weeks ago over the last two seasons where the fans really made a racket and the place was buzzing. Otherwise, it's embarrassingly quiet- even the derbies have been tame recently.

Personally I think we've been spoiled rotten since the takeover. Take into consideration that it's nearly a full year (last April) since we lost a game at Eastlands and it doesn't put a lot of blues in a very good light. When we were drawing 3-3 and winning 4-3, the cry was 'all we need is a few clean sheets'. So we start keeping clean sheets and playing a tighter defensive game and now that's not satisfactory either.

It's true. Money changes people.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby King Kev » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Socrates wrote:
King Kev wrote:
rick1894citizen wrote:The attendance was pathetic but apart from the hardcore of fans who go each week, we seem to have alot of a whiney little bitches who come up with bullshit excuses to try and feel less guilty about not going, most other clubs in our financial position would be selling out every week and not at the cheap prices we charge.

If your watching on the tele your a cunt will soon be our anthem although that would mean we'd actually have to sing and support the lads so might just become/ remain a library.
I was going to post something about the hardcore of 25000-28000 earlier but twice deleted what I had typed because I realised that it was part of that hardcore that was booing at the end!

Maybe we just need to get used to the fact that we no longer can claim to have a great support.

The hadcore isn't even that big for Cup games Lee. Lots of people take the chance to take their kids to a Cup game and the crowd is substantially softcore support. Myself included. Wasn't 100% sure I was ready for the stress of a game again (nearly ended up in hospital last time as I got so hyperglycemic) but it was my friend's lad's birthday and he has never been so I got us 3 tickets and we went. I got the impression that several of the people around me had never been to a game before either. Either the make up of the crowd has changed a lot since I was a regular or it was very much a "Cup game" crowd.
I love the FA Cup and it is my dream to still be around when City finally win it. Every year I watch the cup final with a sick feeling in my stomach because I am so jealous of the fans that are there.

Having said that, I hate being surrounded by fans that obviously rarely go to games. During league games I sit/stand with the same people week in and week out, many of whom I have had seats close to since Maine Road. I know they have suffered along with me and we know each others personalities. They know I sometimes lose it and scream and shout and they know it is because I am passionate about our team. During Cup games if I shout or sing I usually have about a dozen people staring at me as if I am some sort of nutter. I'm sure this happens to other people and probably accounts for the lack in atmosphere during most cup games.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:06 pm

King Kev wrote:
Socrates wrote:
King Kev wrote:

The hadcore isn't even that big for Cup games Lee. Lots of people take the chance to take their kids to a Cup game and the crowd is substantially softcore support. Myself included. Wasn't 100% sure I was ready for the stress of a game again (nearly ended up in hospital last time as I got so hyperglycemic) but it was my friend's lad's birthday and he has never been so I got us 3 tickets and we went. I got the impression that several of the people around me had never been to a game before either. Either the make up of the crowd has changed a lot since I was a regular or it was very much a "Cup game" crowd.
I love the FA Cup and it is my dream to still be around when City finally win it. Every year I watch the cup final with a sick feeling in my stomach because I am so jealous of the fans that are there.

Having said that, I hate being surrounded by fans that obviously rarely go to games. During league games I sit/stand with the same people week in and week out, many of whom I have had seats close to since Maine Road. I know they have suffered along with me and we know each others personalities. They know I sometimes lose it and scream and shout and they know it is because I am passionate about our team. During Cup games if I shout or sing I usually have about a dozen people staring at me as if I am some sort of nutter. I'm sure this happens to other people and probably accounts for the lack in atmosphere during most cup games.

I am completely hoarse this morning. Also slightly deafer than usual for having an 11 year old screaming his lungs out next to me for 90 minutes. I have no idea if anyone stared at us or not nor do I care. If they don't like it that is their problem. They should be embarrassed not you or me...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby glossopblue » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 pm

if you thought ours was bad, take a look at the reebok!!!! even the yids haven't got a good following today!
glossopblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby sandman » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I thought both were pathetic and I hate to see booing, especially since we've seen far worse performances already this season.

If the part time fans cant be arsed to get to games like this then they should be told to get fucked when they apply for tickets for Liverpool next week, I despise people who masquerade as supporters for 4 or 5 matches a season, there was no atmosphere last night, no 12th man whatsoever.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Just noticed that Fulham only pulled in 16,000 whilst Bolton got a massive 13,000. Seems it's not just us!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Redna » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:15 pm

I think the sheik is considering something. Kaldoon and Cook might have f*cked the hole plot up. Moanchester City FC....nah.
Onwards and upwards please.
CTID!!
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Palace got 20,000 for probably their biggest game of the season. Not a bad figure but when you consider that Selhurst Park holds about 27,000, it's not a great show.

Sems that all the games weren't the best attended, but Bolton has to be the one singled out for ridicule. 13,000 is a disgrace!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby rick1894citizen » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Palace got 20,000 for probably their biggest game of the season. Not a bad figure but when you consider that Selhurst Park holds about 27,000, it's not a great show.

Sems that all the games weren't the best attended, but Bolton has to be the one singled out for ridicule. 13,000 is a disgrace!

Although i realise other attendances are down even in the league only top 4 and maybe spurs are filling ground each week and were not far off but 24k blues on a saturday is shocking.

The likes of Wigan and Bolton are truly disgraceful though as didn't Wigan get around 6k in last round and 60% were Notts county fans lol, i'd probably slit my wrists if we got that bad.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Dazzacity » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 pm

eastlandsblue wrote:
King Kev wrote:

I was going to post something about the hardcore of 25000-28000 earlier but twice deleted what I had typed because I realised that it was part of that hardcore that was booking at the end!

That my friend is the nail on the head.

When I got home, I got ready and took the wife out, and the pub was full of city fans who had watched it on the box, and were in a merry mood. My first thought was CU*NTS, its not been the football thats made you merry. i was totally gutted with our performance and a couple of rag mates were commenting about our shitty turnout, and how our clubs ambition didnt match that of some of our so called fans.

Hopefully we can turn this tie around and go all the way, and then listen to the poor fulkers who cant get tkts for the final, because of blah blah blah.
It might be a better idea for the club to start a scheme for cup games to coincide with getting tkts for the final. IE having to attend 66% of the home ties

Would have been nice for the club to have done this for the Hamburg game- where they done the £5 a ticket deal. Pissed me off when I went to UEFA games before that and got great seats,but for the Hamburg game I had to make do with a seat in the 3rd tier !

Now, Ill also say that I havent been to as many games as Id like, this season. Its hard work and costs alot of money as I live about 120 miles away!! I have also just lost my job, so saving the money and watching at home as defo the better option for me at the mo..Although im going up for the City V liverpool game..cant wait for that!!

I also think that the fans that do attend,whether it be a full house or 20,000, should make some fookin noise!! Watched the Palace v Villa game earier and 20,000 there made more noise than Iv heard at Eastlands in a long while! something needs to be done to get the fans behind the team again..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Dazzacity wrote:
eastlandsblue wrote:
King Kev wrote:

I was going to post something about the hardcore of 25000-28000 earlier but twice deleted what I had typed because I realised that it was part of that hardcore that was booking at the end!

When I got home, I got ready and took the wife out, and the pub was full of city fans who had watched it on the box, and were in a merry mood. My first thought was CU*NTS, its not been the football thats made you merry. i was totally gutted with our performance and a couple of rag mates were commenting about our shitty turnout, and how our clubs ambition didnt match that of some of our so called fans.

Hopefully we can turn this tie around and go all the way, and then listen to the poor fulkers who cant get tkts for the final, because of blah blah blah.
It might be a better idea for the club to start a scheme for cup games to coincide with getting tkts for the final. IE having to attend 66% of the home ties

Would have been nice for the club to have done this for the Hamburg game- where they done the £5 a ticket deal. Pissed me off when I went to UEFA games before that and got great seats,but for the Hamburg game I had to make do with a seat in the 3rd tier !

Now, Ill also say that I havent been to as many games as Id like, this season. Its hard work and costs alot of money as I live about 120 miles away!! I have also just lost my job, so saving the money and watching at home as defo the better option for me at the mo..Although im going up for the City V liverpool game..cant wait for that!!

I also think that the fans that do attend,whether it be a full house or 20,000, should make some fookin noise!! Watched the Palace v Villa game earier and 20,000 there made more noise than Iv heard at Eastlands in a long while! something needs to be done to get the fans behind the team again..

That's a very fair point mate and I totally understand your predicament, however it does go towards the point of the pull of certain teams. You are prepared to travel for the 'Pool game yet not for the Stoke etc. Quite a few people I know are in the same boat after being laid off or with the prospect of it.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dazzacity » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Dazzacity wrote:
eastlandsblue wrote:
King Kev wrote:

That's a very fair point mate and I totally understand your predicament, however it does go towards the point of the pull of certain teams. You are prepared to travel for the 'Pool game yet not for the Stoke etc. Quite a few people I know are in the same boat after being laid off or with the prospect of it.

I looked into the Stoke game and would have struggled to get a train home(Im sure the last train I can get on a Sat and Sun is at 7.30pm). Iv really got to pick and choose my games at the mo and it only makes sense to save the cash and watch at home and use that saved cash to get up to the games that ent on tv.…

And as for teams that pull- I couldnt give a toss who we are playing.I go to see City.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Dazzacity wrote:I looked into the Stoke game and would have struggled to get a train home(Im sure the last train I can get on a Sat and Sun is at 7.30pm). Iv really got to pick and choose my games at the mo and it only makes sense to save the cash and watch at home and use that saved cash to get up to the games that ent on tv.…

And it's the best way to work it mate. You at least then get to see the majority of the games rather than the odd one.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Ranger » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I am one of the fans, a longstanding season ticket holder who didn't go yesterday. I know I'm one of the fans being criticized and am happy to take it on the chin. The reason I didn't go? The last 4-5 games have been awful. The obsession with holding midfielders is pissing me off and one striker up front v.Stoke at home. I.was definitely a Hughes outer but Bobby manc not convinced me yet.
Blue Ranger
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Postby walmai » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:45 pm

The FA cup as a competition is in its death-throes, it seems to me, and I am not singling out your crowd yesterday (as much as its a perfect example).

We only got 25 or so thou for a 3rd round match against Arsenal. All the same explanations arose - whether they're justified or not - concerning the cost of another ticket, the travel etc, but in all my years at West Ham, I've not been to another game against Arsenal in a ground only 60-65% full. But people have much less disposable cash this season and so select their games carefully. I've been to one away and two cup matches this season with maybe two more aways to come (on top of a ST). But the attendance at each match is slightly down - or worse - than its equivalent from last year.

Special mention is however necessary for Bolton. The emptiness of their stadium made we wonder how that club ever breaks even.

I'd like to think that, by the time of the 5th round, the home end in our stadium would be at least 90% full.
I also have to say that I am surprised that you got as few in as you did.
And booing a draw? Odd.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Dazzacity » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Yep..This could actually be a good thing in the long run as clubs will finally realise that gate prices are too much for fans to pay week in, week out- and then expect them to splash out on cup tickets..Maybe if they dropped the league games prices, people will have the dosh to attend cup games as well?

Edit.. But then thinking about it, we kind of done that last season as I remember some games being as cheap as £17!! and then the UEFA games weren't exactly expensive, yet we still got shit turnouts for them..strange. Maybe fans think such cups ent that important until their side gets to the quarters,where they then start to think 'ey up, we could have a chnace here'
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john68 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:23 am

Walmai,
I don't agree that the FA Cup is in its death throes but will concede that it is severely devalued from its previous high place.
When I was kid, the FA Cup was as important as the League. It was rich in the culture and romanticism of football. Great stories and legends abounded and were handed down as folklore.
It was a day that the World stopped and Manchester City Centre was full of shopping women and little kids, kicked out of the house by husbands who didn't want to be distracted from the pageant and celebration that cup final day was.

Much of football these days is too much media hype and insufficient substance.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:51 am

john68 wrote:Walmai,
I don't agree that the FA Cup is in its death throes but will concede that it is severely devalued from its previous high place.
When I was kid, the FA Cup was as important as the League. It was rich in the culture and romanticism of football. Great stories and legends abounded and were handed down as folklore.
It was a day that the World stopped and Manchester City Centre was full of shopping women and little kids, kicked out of the house by husbands who didn't want to be distracted from the pageant and celebration that cup final day was.

Much of football these days is too much media hype and insufficient substance.

So basically you were in Manchester City Centre to see all the women and children when everyone was watching Cup final?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum