FA Cup Quarter Final draw [merged]

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: FA Cup Quarter Final draw [merged]

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:21 am

dazby wrote:If you want to win a trophy, you have to overcome some obstacles. Here is a big one. Get past Stoke, get past Chelsea and we are on our way.

get past Stoke - then get past Chelsea - typical CITY, we would just probably be beat by Spurs or Villa!!

No - only joking - bring it on!!
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby dick dastardley » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:35 am

going off our performance sat we wont be in the next round, so it doesnt matter
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Manx Blue » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:02 am

dick dastardley wrote:going off our performance sat we wont be in the next round, so it doesnt matter

You What?....on the basis of a number of league performances this season we'd be relegated then....but we're not

What a stupid fucking statement
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Abu Dhabi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 am

So do we want trophies on a fuckin plate?!
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:06 am

Abu Dhabi wrote:So do we want trophies on a fuckin plate?!

Ahah mate, it's unbelievable. How do we plan to ever think to be competing for winning the Champions League if a FA Cup round at Chelsea scares us, I don't know. First of all, though, we shall think about going past Stoke, and only then we can think about Chelsea.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:14 am

Manx Blue wrote:In addition to that, we've gone to the Swamp and shut them the fuck up for 50 minutes, and it only took a lapse in concentration following a bottling of Bellers by that filthy vile scum they call support, to give them some impetus.

Sorry mate have to pull you up on that one. Fletcher and Phelan both said in their post match interviews that their tactic was to shut us out for the first 45 mins to ensure no away goal was scored. Only after half time were they given the order to attack us with any freedom. And when they did they put 3 past us, and it should of been 5. We were given a total footballing lesson that day on how you go about winning a two legged semi final.

Regarding Chelsea,

• Chelsea hold the record for the longest streak of unbeaten matches at home in the English top-flight, which lasted 86 matches from 20 March 2004 to 26 October 2008.
  • Chelsea have only lost three times in the last 114 home Premier League games

I hold hope we can win a cup every year but drawing Chelsea away is the worse possible tie you could ever wish for.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:19 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
Manx Blue wrote:In addition to that, we've gone to the Swamp and shut them the fuck up for 50 minutes, and it only took a lapse in concentration following a bottling of Bellers by that filthy vile scum they call support, to give them some impetus.

Sorry mate have to pull you up on that one. Fletcher and Phelan both said in their post match interviews that their tactic was to shut us out for the first 45 mins to ensure no away goal was scored. Only after half time were they given the order to attack us with any freedom. And when they did they put 3 past us, and it should of been 5. We were given a total footballing lesson that day on how you go about winning a two legged semi final.

Regarding Chelsea,

• Chelsea hold the record for the longest streak of unbeaten matches at home in the English top-flight, which lasted 86 matches from 20 March 2004 to 26 October 2008.
  • Chelsea have only lost three times in the last 114 home Premier League games

I hold hope we can win a cup every year but drawing Chelsea away is the worse possible tie you could ever wish for.

And that is something that will only do us good in the long run. We may have to get other ones on our path to becoming one of the best sides in Europe, but we should "welcome" them because they serve their purpose if the team can learn from them.

As for Chelsea away, nobody says it's easy, it isn't by all means, but if we don't believe we can do it, then we definitely can't. Going there already beaten is the best way to ensure you do, in fact, come back home beaten.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:31 am

Massive over-reactions from you lot.
madness.
Just deal with them as they come. We'll do stoke, then we're got to really up out game against Chelsea, but nowts impossible. I'd fancy us to beat Chelsea in the quarters more than in the final anyway, so bring it on.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby crossan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 am

If we play more positively we could beat both Stoke and Chelsea and reach the semi's...............it is so frustrating to watch foot off the pedal football,we deserve more than we are being dished up at the moment and this is 'not' a have a go at Roberto Mancini post,its the players who are showing no fighting spirit,they need to watch old vids of previous City teams efforts,we are used to forward attacking football not the boring crap we are seeing now.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Re: FA Cup Quarter Final draw

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
btajim wrote:I don't recall when we last got a positive result at Chelsea.

Chelsea's home record is far better than ours. Personally, I'd surrender the FA Cup run to go full pelt for 4th place.

NO WAY!

I think we can have a good crack on both. One stage at a time. Get past Stoke and see what happens against Chelsea. I want to see us give it a good crack.

YES WAY!!!

If you'd taken a second to actually think about what I was trying to say before making yet another immediate reaction then you'd have realised that I think anything involving the resting of key players or prioritising the Cup over Champions League is a bad idea. I don't think we can truly expect both 4th and the FA Cup. I'd rather go out to Stoke or Chelsea than reach the Final and lose if it means we get 4th place.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby john@staustell » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 am

btajim wrote:

Chelsea's home record is far better than ours. Personally, I'd surrender the FA Cup run to go full pelt for 4th place.

NO WAY!

I think we can have a good crack on both. One stage at a time. Get past Stoke and see what happens against Chelsea. I want to see us give it a good crack.

YES WAY!!!

If you'd taken a second to actually think about what I was trying to say before making yet another immediate reaction then you'd have realised that I think anything involving the resting of key players or prioritising the Cup over Champions League is a bad idea. I don't think we can truly expect both 4th and the FA Cup. I'd rather go out to Stoke or Chelsea than reach the Final and lose if it means we get 4th place.

I wouldn't mate. The joy of winning the cup would far outweigh the satisfaction of getting 4th just to get in the fucking over-hyped boring CL. Think about it, a trophy, tens of thousands of City fans jumping for joy in the stadium, in the streets, on the telly. 34 years mate.

It may not mean as much to so-called pundits but so fucking what? We can only strengthen in the summer for the league. But I agree that we can have a good crack at both.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Gloryhunter123 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 am

We will beat stoke x2 Beat liverpool , win chelski in f.a and get batterd by them in the league and lose to spuds .
Gloryhunter123
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Sparky haters !
My favourite player is: Swp

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 pm

john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:YES WAY!!!

I wouldn't mate. The joy of winning the cup would far outweigh the satisfaction of getting 4th just to get in the fucking over-hyped boring CL. Think about it, a trophy, tens of thousands of City fans jumping for joy in the stadium, in the streets, on the telly. 34 years mate.

It may not mean as much to so-called pundits but so fucking what? We can only strengthen in the summer for the league. But I agree that we can have a good crack at both.

See... now this is where I begin to lose interest in what you say. You don't want to get to the "f*cking over-hyped boring CL." I'm struggling to see why we bother turning out for League fixtures if you aren't bothered where we finish. Last season's adventures in Europe were some of the best times i've ever had as a Blue. Actually competing against better sides in Europe will be even better.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:52 pm

john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:

NO WAY!

YES WAY!!!

Hold on a minute mate, reaching fourth has MUCH bigger signifigance than just qualifying for the competition. IT means we can sign the best players in the world, confirm our arrival as a top team and generate revenue for the club. With all of this in place we could well win at least one cup a season. 34 years/35 years, who cares?

If it has to be a choice, then fourth HAS to take precedence.
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:52 pm

john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:

NO WAY!

YES WAY!!!

Exactly.

I understood full well what you were saying Jimbo but disagreed with you. We are in two competitions and have enough players to challenge in both.

FA Cup any day of the week for me before 4th spot finish.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:03 pm

john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:

NO WAY!

YES WAY!!!

Exactly.

I understood full well what you were saying Jimbo but disagreed with you. We are in two competitions and have enough players to challenge in both.

Absolutely NOT!

I fear some people genuinely don't know how important it is for us to finish in the top four ASAP.

Getting the best players in the world and securing our future through regular revenue wouldn't be as good as lifting a cup?? When we've secured our owner's priority, we'll have plenty of cups to swing out of.

I hope our manager knows this too if it comes down to it.... actually of course he does! If he doesn't make fourth he'll lose his job.
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:25 pm

john@staustell wrote:I wouldn't mate. The joy of winning the cup would far outweigh the satisfaction of getting 4th just to get in the fucking over-hyped boring CL. Think about it, a trophy, tens of thousands of City fans jumping for joy in the stadium, in the streets, on the telly. 34 years mate.

Exactly.

If you search john@staustell's posts then you'll find he's not remotely bothered about Champions League Football. He just wants to see Toure lift a Pot in May.

Yes, let's challenge in both IF we're genuinely able to - but I'd rather go for 4th if we chose between one and the other.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:38 pm

btajim wrote:
john@staustell wrote:I wouldn't mate. The joy of winning the cup would far outweigh the satisfaction of getting 4th just to get in the fucking over-hyped boring CL. Think about it, a trophy, tens of thousands of City fans jumping for joy in the stadium, in the streets, on the telly. 34 years mate.

Exactly.

If you search john@staustell's posts then you'll find he's not remotely bothered about Champions League Football. He just wants to see Toure lift a Pot in May.
Yes, let's challenge in both IF we're genuinely able to - but I'd rather go for 4th if we chose between one and the other.

Mate, I'm not THAT bothered about Champion's League football either. It's well documented that as a competition I don't rate Champion's at all. European football (UEFA Cup or Champion's League) would provide great nights for supporters and create interest from better players. That again see full well. But as a competition...... nah, it's not be all end all for me. In fact, I WOULD mucbh rather see us fighting for pots like FA Cup and League Cup than just a trip to Barcelona.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:56 pm

CL is pretty boring.. there are some exceptions to that though that make it worth watching games.. but surely there would be a difference if we were in it. You would want to be there if we lined up against Real Madrid twice in the group stages..
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:06 pm

brite blu sky wrote:CL is pretty boring.. there are some exceptions to that though that make it worth watching games.. but surely there would be a difference if we were in it. You would want to be there if we lined up against Real Madrid twice in the group stages..

It's more important than just the admittedly mostly boring games though, it's the fact that we could sign the 3 or so 'A' list players that would allow us to make a genuine challenge for the title.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum