The certain death of the top 4?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The certain death of the top 4?

Postby john68 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:58 am

Bluez wrote:It won't last long even if it happens. We have 4 champions league places because we (english teams) do well every year in teh CL. After a few years of teams like Bolton or Everton being knocked out at the qualifying stage (which is what 4th is) we won't have teh 4th place for english teams anyway.

That is NOT true Bluey mate. UeFA rewrote the rule from 1 to 2 initially because of a threat by the "G" group of rich clubs to breakaway and form a European League. (Amid a lot of other rule changes that were demanded by them) At that time England had the rags and Arsenal as a group of 2 at the top.
It was no coincidence that it changed to 4 places when the rags and Arsenal were joined by Che;sea and Liverpool and their places at the trough were at risk.
It has been the continued financial gains from those deals that has funded the European success of those clubs.

THE CL HAS BEEN A FINANCIAL TROUGH FOR THE BIG PIGS TO DIP THEIR SNOUTS INTO. THEY DESPERATELY NEED TO KEEP IT THAT WAY.

Changing sports...It is reminiscent of the season that Wigan Warriors were in danger of being relegated from Superleague. The RFL offered the team that won promotion £100,000 if the team that won promotion decided to stay in the lower division. When the Warriors pulled clear of danger, the offer suddenly became forgotten.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Chinners » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 am

I agree it's a crap idea. I hate the play -offs for the same reason. The whole point of a season is to be judged on 38/46 matches.

The amount of times the team finishing 6th gets promoted before the team in 3rd (whilst being 10-12 points behind) is shocking in my book. More sky generation bollox
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Mr Miyagi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
john68 wrote:ABSOLUTE SHIT AND BOLLOX.
The whole idea of the League system is to find the BEST clubs over a full season. The best clubs finish in the highest positions and deserve the benefits for doing so.
I also think that there is too much of a coincidence that this idea is being floated at a time when the top four are under threat for the 1st time since the top 4 places allowed CL entry.
This season. L'Pool look like they could fail...so the league give them another bite at the cherry?...Fuck off Scousers, if yer out, yer out.
Play off games would give those qualifying for them extra revenue...benefitting the top clubs at the expense of those from 8th downwards.
JUST ANOTHER PLOY TO ENSURE THE BIG BOYS INCREASE THEIR INCOME AND GET ANOTHER CHANCE SHOULD THEY FALL SHORT.

thanks for saving me the trouble John.

What a horseshit of an idea.

Ditto. Never been a fan of play-offs, even in Coca-cola league as well. It's simply wrong that a team in 4th place could finish ten points clear of the team in 5th and still not go through.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:21 pm

No it sounds like a load of bollox and I'm suprised City have backed it, as reported...

If you throw enough money at it, you will finish fourth eventually, but with our luck, we'd still not qualify.

Birmingham in the champs league instead of us?

PAAAAAAAAAA LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE.
Original Dub

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:59 pm

funny that this has come up now,, liverpool might miss out, so why not have 4,5,6 and 7th place for champs league, could be me, but it looks funny that they want it now
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:41 pm

To be honest, although i think the idea is a pile of shit and is only to bring attention and prosperity to the Prem League, it would be a decent thing to watch. Let's face it, not many can stand the thought of 3 months without football, that's why we all watch the play-offs.

Wonder if they will insist on the games being played at Wembley though....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BetaManchester » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Who's going to pay for the extra play-off games? OH WHAT A SURPRISE... The fan! Sick of it.
BetaManchester
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: Our club.
My favourite player is: Goat.. or is it Kinky??

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 pm

BetaManchester wrote:Who's going to pay for the extra play-off games? OH WHAT A SURPRISE... The fan! Sick of it.

You're probably right mate, but in reality, is it really going to concern us? With our custodians backing, we have more than a slim chance of breaking the 'New' Top 3 Cartel, meaning we won't have to worry. If our custodians pull out in the short-term, we will be seeing Leeds on their way back up................so, who really cares?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum