Over 200 million spent.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Over 200 million spent.

Postby King Kev » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:29 pm

john68 wrote:Lee,
Being 4th is all very well for your demeanour but it copuld have been so much better had we been pushing at Arsenal's arse for 3rd and creating a bigger gap between us and the chasing pack below us.
We have been on schedule for 4th for a while now and last night was not a gain but a loss in that respect.

I st6ill find it incredible that you so easily jumped on Hughes's case for similar away draws yet seem so suppotive of mancini...without any question or debate....and you love a good debate...don't you????
Mancini is averaging 2 points per game, had 'the previous incumbent' done that he would have still been in a job and would have had my support.

However, he didn't so he got sacked, I am glad he got sacked, you're not. Is there really any more to add or discuss?

I love a good debate as you say but when it's just going over and over and over the same things then, in my humble opinion, it ceases to be a good debate. We just end up with me saying that I didn't like hughes from the beginning (what a shame people can't be so open and honest with their opinions on Mancini!) and you using CAPITALS and calling people miserable. It gets us nowhere, which is why I wish we could all move on.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I CANT BELIEVE SOME OF THE FANS THAT I AGREED WITH BACK IN THE CLUELESS DAYS ARNT GOING BALLISTIC AT THE SHITE WE ARE SERVING UP NOW...IT EMBARRASSES ME.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING DELUSIONAL IF YOU THINK WE ARE GOING TO HANG ONTO 4TH SPOT WITH THE SHITEEEEEEEEEE WE ARE DISHING UP NOW - WE WERE DEAD LUCKY AGAINST STOKE AND THATS A FACT...THAT GOAL SHOULD HAVE STOOD.

WE ARE 4TH...THATS MAINLY DOWN TO THE SHITE RESULTS THAT SPURS VILLA AND BINDIPPERS ACHEIEVED OVER THE LAST MONTH OR SO AND NOT DOWN TO US PLAYING WELL.

IF WE DONT STEP IT UP AGAINST THE DIPPERS THEN WE WILL LOSE...IN FACT IF WE DONT GET OUR ACT TOGETHER WE WONT FINISH ABOVE SPURS AND VILLA.

MANCINI HAS US PLAYING SHITE AND THATS A FACT.
PLAYERS ALL OVER THE PLACE - LEFT SIDE , RIGHT SIDE ECT ECT ECT ....YES HE DOES CHANGE TACTICS BUT FUCK ME..I THINK HE,S ABUSING THAT FACT IN EVERY GAME UNNECESARILY.

A fucking Men

Its really strange that when we were in 4th or there abouts under the last guy we were "there by default" and "didn't deserve to be". It was because "everyone else is so shit, rather than us being good". And "what use is a game in hand when you're playing like we are".

Now everything is absolutely fine. The same folk are now BRIMMING with confidence. Why are you all so confident now? We are playing disgraceful football and should have lost to 10 man stoke (thanks Wiley) after apparently having a gameplan following a game with the same team 3 days earlier... these people were losing their mind when we drew with Wigan and WE were the ones with ten men!! You couldn't fucking make it up...

"You will see a different game on Tuesday". We certainly did Roberto. We are on a steady decline performance wise and if you can't see that because you are so happy the last guy is done then I truely worry.

I promise I will say it when I see us improve, but since the first leg of the semi against united, we have slowly gone downhill and you folk should be men enough to admit that.

I hope it changes on Sunday, I really really hope and pray it does, because otherwise we will lose, make no bones about it. If FORM is anything to go by on the last 5 games, we are in for a hiding.
Original Dub

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Being 4th is all very well for your demeanour but it copuld have been so much better had we been pushing at Arsenal's arse for 3rd and creating a bigger gap between us and the chasing pack below us.
We have been on schedule for 4th for a while now and last night was not a gain but a loss in that respect.

I st6ill find it incredible that you so easily jumped on Hughes's case for similar away draws yet seem so suppotive of mancini...without any question or debate....and you love a good debate...don't you????

Last night was a lucky escape in the end. But it wasn't a disaster. we played shoddy football at best, but we looked quite solid throughout. Lets face it there goal was unexpected and Shay would 99/100 stop that shot easily. We did not take the opportunity presented to grab the 3 points.. that is true, and we should have. However we seem to have forgotten all too easily that nowhere is it written that taking 4th spot is, should be, could be or would be easy.

I have no agenda in terms of this manager or the last, aside form it was a huge gamble to undertake by the owners, that they will get slammed for if it doesn't come off.
But as you say this is about CITY, with this manager and these players and right now about getting a result against the Pool.
We could just about survive a draw, but then we would be leaving any sense of a contructive improvement in play, very late indeed to have a hope of taking anything from the season ( Cup or 4th ). But this is City and you have seen already that this set of players only seem to play their best football with the right attitude when they go behind! So i just can't rule out the impossible yet
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Lee,
I remember texting you a reply some time ago that contained the same argument.
Despite Mancini averaging 2pts a game...and I trust you on that mate. In the last 5 league games, we have won 2 at home against Bolton and Pompey...both in relegation positions at the time. Drew 1 game last night against a poor footballing side who for a long period had only 10 men and who in all honesty we robbed of the points (I am grateful for that) and we have lost 2 games away against Hull (a poor side) and a resurgent Everton.

Throughout all of those games, even those we won, we did not play well.
Do you really find that satisfactory?

I'm sorry but i don't.

(NOW IT'S ME WHO IS BEING MISERABLE.....in capitals)...:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby King Kev » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:28 am

I remember texting you a reply some time ago that contained the same argument.
Despite Mancini averaging 2pts a game...and I trust you on that mate. In the last 5 league games, we have won 2 at home against Bolton and Pompey...both in relegation positions at the time. Drew 1 game last night against a poor footballing side who for a long period had only 10 men and who in all honesty we robbed of the points (I am grateful for that) and we have lost 2 games away against Hull (a poor side) and a resurgent Everton.

Throughout all of those games, even those we won, we did not play well.
Do you really find that satisfactory?
Satisfactory yes, fantastic no.
john68 wrote:(NOW IT'S ME WHO IS BEING MISERABLE.....in capitals)...:-)
At last we agree on something!

Seriously though mate, try to cheer up, we are playing well beneath ourselves but are still making progress, and I believe things will get even better.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:03 am

john68 wrote:That post is one I respect Carl. THough I disagreed with your hughes views, they were city based.
Too many Hughes haters seem to think that having got their wish and Hughes out, they have to back Mancini through thick and thin or they will look foolish.
THIS IS ABOUT CITY.

Absolutely pointless and desperate effort for an argument. Of course it's ABOUT CITY, whether or not you type it in capitals. Some people though Hughes was the answer, others think Mancini is the answer and some sit on the fence. Is that really such complicated thing to understand.

I am reasonably happy with the results and I can see what Mancini is trying to do. There are things missing from our game still, that is without a question but it will take time and fine tuning to get it sorted. That's the I feel about the situation.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, people are free to moan as much as they want and start as many Mancini Out or vaguely hidden such topics but whatever they or I say will not change the fact that Mancini is here until may at which point his position will be most likely revalued. He has few months to show what he has got and if it's not good enough, I'm sure the owners will get rid of him as well. But to think owners would sack him for lack of style when he has been here less than two months and has got us to fourth is ridiculous.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby dazby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
john68 wrote:That post is one I respect Carl. THough I disagreed with your hughes views, they were city based.
Too many Hughes haters seem to think that having got their wish and Hughes out, they have to back Mancini through thick and thin or they will look foolish.
THIS IS ABOUT CITY.

Absolutely pointless and desperate effort for an argument. Of course it's ABOUT CITY, whether or not you type it in capitals. Some people though Hughes was the answer, others think Mancini is the answer and some sit on the fence. Is that really such complicated thing to understand.

I am reasonably happy with the results and I can see what Mancini is trying to do. There are things missing from our game still, that is without a question but it will take time and fine tuning to get it sorted. That's the I feel about the situation.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, people are free to moan as much as they want and start as many Mancini Out or vaguely hidden such topics but whatever they or I say will not change the fact that Mancini is here until may at which point his position will be most likely revalued. He has few months to show what he has got and if it's not good enough, I'm sure the owners will get rid of him as well. But to think owners would sack him for lack of style when he has been here less than two months and has got us to fourth is ridiculous.

It's like a parallel universe.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:32 pm

dazby wrote:
THIS IS ABOUT CITY.

It's like you only post one liners that make no sense.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby bluej » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 pm

dazby wrote:
THIS IS ABOUT CITY.

Isn't it just - go back to November and that could be OD!
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby gillie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 pm

I dont think anyone wants Bobby to be sacked we just want to watch a game and enjoy the football we produce.And looking at the players lately i think they are fuckin clueless as to what Bobby is asking of them.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 pm

I didn't want him in the 1st place because I was happy as we were but people who've studied him said he's a manager who plays attacking, high quality football. That's not my experience of watching his Inter side as I just thought they were dire in all departments when I've seen them but I didn't watch them regularly, so I'm willing to accept I could be wrong & could have caught them on bad days.

Right now though, we look like they did when I saw them, apart from we're not dreadfully slow at the back. That worries me in case I was right. I want to see the attacking, passing football that he's reputed to play & I want to see it now, not the kick & rush shite we're playing. We've had wall to wall tactics since Christmas, it's time for football now, then I'll be happy .

If we play great football, I'll be happy for him to stay, even if we don't get top 4; I wasn't demanding Hughes got that yet & I'm not demanding it from Mancini, I'm demanding we play with attacking flair & look to build a side that has an attacking, not a defensive, philosophy.

If however we're still playing the same aimless negative shite a month or so from now, I hope he fucks off even if we finish 4th because chances are if he doesn't change soon, he'll play the same stuff next season too (if Jose turns us down) & there's nothing we're currently doing that a Curbishley or a Bruce couldn't do just as good or better if they had the same quality players. Anyone can stand 8 players in a line, it's not tactical genius, Bobby Gould used to do it. Come on Mancio, FFS let's play football.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I didn't want him in the 1st place because I was happy as we were but people who've studied him said he's a manager who plays attacking, high quality football. That's not my experience of watching his Inter side as I just thought they were dire in all departments when I've seen them but I didn't watch them regularly, so I'm willing to accept I could be wrong & could have caught them on bad days.

Right now though, we look like they did when I saw them, apart from we're not dreadfully slow at the back. That worries me in case I was right. I want to see the attacking, passing football that he's reputed to play & I want to see it now, not the kick & rush shite we're playing. We've had wall to wall tactics since Christmas, it's time for football now, then I'll be happy .

If we play great football, I'll be happy for him to stay, even if we don't get top 4; I wasn't demanding Hughes got that yet & I'm not demanding it from Mancini, I'm demanding we play with attacking flair & look to build a side that has an attacking, not a defensive, philosophy.

If however we're still playing the same aimless negative shite a month or so from now, I hope he fucks off even if we finish 4th because chances are if he doesn't change soon, he'll play the same stuff next season too (if Jose turns us down) & there's nothing we're currently doing that a Curbishley or a Bruce couldn't do just as good or better if they had the same quality players. Anyone can stand 8 players in a line, it's not tactical genius, Bobby Gould used to do it. Come on Mancio, FFS let's play football.

Regardless how he does, I think you will get your wish - Lets just see where this season takes us.........

As i have said before, there is a 6 month clause for a reason - im in no doubt that we have paid Mancini MASSIVE money to accept that clause, because somebody has indicated they may be available in the summer. We now have confirmation it isnt Hiddink so make your own mind up who it might be.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I didn't want him in the 1st place because I was happy as we were but people who've studied him said he's a manager who plays attacking, high quality football. That's not my experience of watching his Inter side as I just thought they were dire in all departments when I've seen them but I didn't watch them regularly, so I'm willing to accept I could be wrong & could have caught them on bad days.

Regardless how he does, I think you will get your wish - Lets just see where this season takes us.........

As i have said before, there is a 6 month clause for a reason - im in no doubt that we have paid Mancini MASSIVE money to accept that clause, because somebody has indicated they may be available in the summer. We now have confirmation it isnt Hiddink so make your own mind up who it might be.

I've already posted those thoughts in another thread although I would actually prefer Mancini but not if he's going to play this kind of football in the future. I want Mancini to either start attacking or go. If he attacks then I'll have all the patience he could possibly expect & I'll be happy to let him get on with it, through thick & thin, for a few seasons, then see where we are & review it. I doubt the board will though.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:06 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

I've already posted those thoughts in another thread although I would actually prefer Mancini but not if he's going to play this kind of football in the future. I want Mancini to either start attacking or go. If he attacks then I'll have all the patience he could possibly expect & I'll be happy to let him get on with it, through thick & thin, for a few seasons, then see where we are & review it. I doubt the board will though.

Realistically though, do you think he will?

I have been of the school of thought since he was appointed that the "6 month" situation was highly suspicious and that he never expected to be here next year unless Jose turns us down.

What was in it for him? What better for his reputation than us getting an unfancied champs league place on a short term deal?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:45 am

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Realistically though, do you think he will?

I have been of the school of thought since he was appointed that the "6 month" situation was highly suspicious and that he never expected to be here next year unless Jose turns us down.

What was in it for him? What better for his reputation than us getting an unfancied champs league place on a short term deal?

I think he's gone, whatever he does, if Mourinho accepts the job. I initially thought they'd planned to stick with him if he did well but because of the fact that he himself keeps saying to the Italian press that he's on trial, the lack of clarification by the club & the constant references by journalist friends of Mourinho's saying that he's coming back to the PL, I think it's being negotiated.

Mourinho also recently went public about a buy out clause in his contract. I can't see him going to any other PL club right now because they've not enough money for him. Unless Liverpool get taken over. Bacon won't retire yet.

I think we'll know soon if the deal's not happening because Mourinho will make some kind of reference to staying at Inter next season & how he loves them, probably while he's here. If he doesn't, I recon he's deffo still talking to us.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:21 am

I think it has become obvious that the major difference between myself and a number of other posters is that I want to be entertained whilst winning while others are happy simply to get a result.
The argument that we are playing shite football is a sad fact but can anyone honestly brag about our results?

Stoke, Wolves, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Hull, Bolton and Stoke...All of them games we should win easily against mainly teams who are in danger of relegation....and we actually lost to one of that lot.
The only real League tester was Everton....and that was a shambles.
Or would you rather choose Scunny and Boro as major scalps for us to brag about....
...We managed to scrape a cup draw against Stoke
...and we got mullered by the rags in the 2nd leg...we didn't even compete in that game.

If you are happy with that lot...you are welcome to it...and the shite football we are serving up.

It would be a good start if we actually sent a team on the filed that was set up to win rather than not lose.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:55 am

john68 wrote:I think it has become obvious that the major difference between myself and a number of other posters is that I want to be entertained whilst winning while others are happy simply to get a result.
The argument that we are playing shite football is a sad fact but can anyone honestly brag about our results?

Stoke, Wolves, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Hull, Bolton and Stoke...All of them games we should win easily against mainly teams who are in danger of relegation....and we actually lost to one of that lot.
The only real League tester was Everton....and that was a shambles.
Or would you rather choose Scunny and Boro as major scalps for us to brag about....
...We managed to scrape a cup draw against Stoke
...and we got mullered by the rags in the 2nd leg...we didn't even compete in that game.

If you are happy with that lot...you are welcome to it...and the shite football we are serving up.

It would be a good start if we actually sent a team on the filed that was set up to win rather than not lose.

John, i want to be entertained, i am that kind of football supporter, i would rather see the likes of Robinho, Ronaldo, Messi in my side than Dickov, Bellamy and Savage busting a gut. I appriciate ability more than the work rate. I think the most important thing a footballer must have is a good first touch. I do not like the way we are playing at the minute. As someone who has stated all of the above, i would be hipocrite to spend £30 to watch it.

But......

I am also realistic and paitent. I know the reason he was brought in here on an intial 6 month contract was to get this club in the Champions League. I know he has sacrifised any form of pretty or entertaining football for results to secure himself in the job for another 3 years. I know we are just going to have to grin and bear it.

The most important thing between now and May 9th is picking up enough points to finish in the top 4 and gain qualification to the champions league.

If next year we see the same kind of football then i will agree with you. I don't want results over football for years to come, only til May.

In the meantime this nasty atmosphere needs to fuck off, this is one of the greatest seasons in 34 years, the way some people are acting it seems like the worse.

Just be paitent and support the team!!
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:04 am

I have always been patient and supported the team.
I agree that we have picked up points but I reiterate that most of those points were picked up from some of the easiest fixtures we will play all season and in many of those games we were fortunate that the teams we were playing were so poor that we won having played poorly.
In the run in to the end of the season we have to play good sides who will not let us get away wityh playing poorly and who will punish us.
To have to grind out results against teams that are very poor does not augur well for those hard games.
john68

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:09 am

john68 wrote:I have always been patient and supported the team.
I agree that we have picked up points but I reiterate that most of those points were picked up from some of the easiest fixtures we will play all season and in many of those games we were fortunate that the teams we were playing were so poor that we won having played poorly.
In the run in to the end of the season we have to play good sides who will not let us get away wityh playing poorly and who will punish us.
To have to grind out results against teams that are very poor does not augur well for those hard games.

But John the reason we got rid of the last manager was because of his inability to pick up the points from some of the easiest fixtures we will play all season. We have now hired a manager who has picked up points from some of the easiest fixtures we will play all season, so what is the problem?

As i have reiterated many times this morning, the situation at this club at the moment is simply pick up points, the board don't want to be entertained, it is no use to them spending £250m on the players to be entertained and to pick up a place in the Europa League for their investment.

Champions League qualification now then the pretty style of football will come and i am very confident Mancini will deliver that, just look at his Inter Milan side and it will show you that.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:17 am

Maybe we should revisit this debate in a few weeks when we have been further tested by Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. The only other test we have had was Everton and we failed miserably there....as we did at Hull
I am happy to wait and see.
I would rather die trying than not try and still die.
john68

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum