Over 200 million spent.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Over 200 million spent.

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:23 am

john68 wrote:Maybe we should revisit this debate in a few weeks when we have been further tested by Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. The only other test we have had was Everton and we failed miserably there....as we did at Hull
I am happy to wait and see.
I would rather die trying than not try and still die.

United at home? That was a big test.

We will revisit it mate, just as long as you don't insinuate that by having this opinion i am a better supporter than anyone else (i still haven't had an explanation why you said that)
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:27 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:
john68 wrote:Maybe we should revisit this debate in a few weeks when we have been further tested by Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. The only other test we have had was Everton and we failed miserably there....as we did at Hull

U***d at home? That was a big test.

We will revisit it mate, just as long as you don't insinuate that by having this opinion i am a better supporter than anyone else (i still haven't had an explanation why you said that)

don't bother. Only lost games are tests you see. Wins against teams we regularily dropped points before are walk in the park. And that includes rags. Hull on the other hand, that was a MASSIVE test which we failed.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:43 am

Antti,
There are time Antti that you really do get on my nerves by acting the twat.
I know English isn't your 1st language but I also know that you have a good enough command of it not to have to twist what I have said.
You have done this before and I have told you about this.

Hans Christian Anderson was a Scandinavian...he made his own stories up too.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 am

john68 wrote:Antti,
I know English isn't your 1st language but I also know that you have a good enough command of it not to have to twist what I have said.

Fair enough.
That said, I really do think that you out of all people should wait and see whether Mancini can get his message through to players and get the side playing the way he wants. You know as well as I do that if the owners aren't happy with what they see, Mancini will be out in summer anyway but also that he isn't going anywhere before that.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:50 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:

U***d at home? That was a big test.

No it was not a big test, it was part one of a big test. It was a home game and we haven't lost at home for nearly a fucking year! It was also a game that united knew they could lose narrowly and still be favourites, which is exactly what happened.

If it was the league, that individual game would have been a big test. We failed that test because we didn't make the final. That was the test and I still can't believe people are still holding that dear to there hearts.

No, as much as I want to believe we can hold our own against the decent teams in the league, the game against Liverpool is Mancini's third chance to prove it, because he failed against Everton and United (and Hull).

I really really hope we beat them, but confidence has to be instilled, not imagined.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:23 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:Champions League qualification now then the pretty style of football will come and i am very confident Mancini will deliver that, just look at his Inter Milan side and it will show you that.

As I posted earlier; I did look at his Inter Milan side & when I saw them they looked similar to us now. When I saw them, they played with with 7 at the back & a lot of long balls to a big striker & were mind numbingly dull. They won the games when I saw them doing that in the Italian League & got absolutely fucking hammered & humilliated by some of the Pl teams when they tried it against them.

I'll bow to knowledge of others that there were plenty of games when they played great football but Mancini has got previous for this kind of stuff. I hope we see the other side of his character very very soon, Sunday in fact.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
john68 wrote:Antti,

Fair enough.
That said, I really do think that you out of all people should wait and see whether Mancini can get his message through to players and get the side playing the way he wants. You know as well as I do that if the owners aren't happy with what they see, Mancini will be out in summer anyway but also that he isn't going anywhere before that.

Antii,
My apologies for being so tetchy mate. The point I made was valid but I should have made it more calmly. I had just finished a long shift and my bed was calling before i got caught up in this....Kunniotus..(is?) not sure of the spelling now but you'll understand.

I don't want Mancini sacked (certainly not yet anyhow) and I like all on here want City success. There is no agenda other than that.
Comparison with Hughes is irrelevent. Hughes has gone.
Mancini was brought in to improve our assault at the top and make the top 4. I see no significant improvement and the "Grinding out results" point is nonsense.
We have been lucky to play some of our easiest fixture recently. A decent show should have consolidated our position, challenged the top 3 and created a gap between us and the chasing pack. That hasn't happened and we are still in a similar position to when Mancini arrived.
Added to that is the fact that we are NOT grinding out results as many say. We have played some shit sides, dropped the very points Mancini was brought in to win and done so by playing badly.
If Mancini was brought in to imrove things..he has not done so...in fact we seem to have gone backwards in many respects.

I am not trying to score political or debating points, I am merely looking at the reality of our present situation.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby King Kev » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:35 pm

We have already beaten 3 of the Sky 4 at home this season, I see no reason why we can't continue to beat the good teams. If we beat Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in scrappy 1-0 victories will you be happy?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm certain we'll overlook shit footbal in those games if we win but I recon the only game it actually makes sense to play that way out of the 3 is Chelsea. Our advantage v Spurs & Liverpool is our attack & we are at home. Surrender that & DeFoe or Gerrard will nick a goal in a tight game & we'll lose.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:18 pm

King Kev wrote:
We have already beaten 3 of the Sky 4 at home this season, I see no reason why we can't continue to beat the good teams. If we beat Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in scrappy 1-0 victories will you be happy?

Being a realist...I understand that it is sometimes necessary to win ugly and I have no problem with that. The ability to win ugly where necessary and grind out results is an integral part of the weaponry of any successful side. Playing poorly is not a habit I would encourage but playing poorly and winning is a good habit when needed.

That said, the problem arises when playing poorly becomes a habit and a pattern is set. When that is the only weapon in a teams armoury, it will not be successful in the longer term.

When we beat Chelsea and Arsenal, we did so by playing well and playing near our potential.
The previous problem was that we failed to reach that potential often enough.
Under Mancini, we have never got anywhere near the potential thast gave us those wins against those top sides and that is worrying.
john68

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:26 pm

john68 wrote:
King Kev wrote:

Being a realist...I understand that it is sometimes necessary to win ugly and I have no problem with that. The ability to win ugly where necessary and grind out results is an integral part of the weaponry of any successful side. Playing poorly is not a habit I would encourage but playing poorly and winning is a good habit when needed.

That said, the problem arises when playing poorly becomes a habit and a pattern is set. When that is the only weapon in a teams armoury, it will not be successful in the longer term.

When we beat Chelsea and Arsenal, we did so by playing well and playing near our potential.
The previous problem was that we failed to reach that potential often enough.
Under Mancini, we have never got anywhere near the potential thast gave us those wins against those top sides and that is worrying.

John, before the Chelsea win (if you disregard the cup win against Arsenal's youth team) we had actually been playing poorly for seven games in a row against "lesser" opponents. Let's give Roberto the chance to up his game against a "top four team" (yes, I know we've played the scum twice under Mancini, but during his early days and in a two leg cup tie).
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:34 pm

There is no way i would not support Mancini's success is City's success and that makes me happy.
I have
john68

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:36 pm

john68 wrote:There is no way i would not support Mancini's success is City's success and that makes me happy.
I have

sorry mate, I wasn't aiming at having a go at you. I realise that i did twice, but I didn't really mean to. I more got caught up with details.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:38 pm

I never considered you were mate...no probs Pal.
john68

Postby gillie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:51 pm

john68 wrote:I never considered you were mate...no probs Pal.

And i'm not dead!.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 pm

gillie wrote:
john68 wrote:I never considered you were mate...no probs Pal.

And i'm not dead!.

that's only because you threw in the towel. Doomy had you in a strangle-hold.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, but thought a thread about spending money on new players was as good as any.

Young Adam Johnson. Wearing a United shirt.

I can almost hear certain people getting ready to explode.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Redna » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Can't remember the lot ever having stripes but who's the fella . Emelyn Hughes that is?
CTID!!
"A man's gotta do what his women says"
Redna
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods own
My favourite player is: Ron Jeremy

Postby failsworthblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:24 pm

We have only spent half of what Chelski spent and in half the time .

I think it will probably take another £200 mill and a bit more time before we can win the Prem , a bit of Jose would not go a miss as well.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby gillie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm

failsworthblue wrote:We have only spent half of what Chelski spent and in half the time .

I think it will probably take another £200 mill and a bit more time before we can win the Prem , a bit of Jose would not go a miss as well.

But as Chelski spent they improved and won trophies are we?.I think we are regressing and if we dont make top4 i dont think the Sheikh will get his money out as readily in the Summer.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum