Summer ins and outs

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Summer ins and outs

Postby gillie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:08 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
CityGer wrote:

De Rossi has been absolutely superb every time I've seen him this season. A top quality player and one that I would love to see us target.

Torres, Maicon, Cheilini and Hamsik to conclude our summer recruitment.

Hamsik I definitely agree with, and Torres too of course. Chiellini, yes, although it's still a question if he can adapt to the Prem.

Maicon, no thanks. If you actually watch him, and see him attacked by a winger, you realize he's not that good, it's just that normally the other team is more worried of him attacking than to attack him themselves, which instead exposes all his frialty as defender.

As for De Rossi...they say he's playing below par this season, and yet he has already scored seven times from a DM position, although he's been freed a bit lately by Ranieri who employs Pizarro in front of the back line as a playmaker now, with De Rossi helping when the opposition has the ball. One of my favourite players, and one that would pain me to no end to see leaving Roma, but if it was to come to City, then I could accept it.

I would love your golden boy at City a certain MR F. Totti would you be averse to that CFFR.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:13 pm

gillie wrote:I would love your golden boy at City a certain MR F. Totti would you be averse to that CFFR.

Now you may be surprised to hear this, but no, I'd not like him at City. He's not getting any younger, has a lot of injury problems these days due to the huge amount of fouls he has suffered through his career, not to mention the two big injuries he had in recent years, and I think he would find it hard to adapt to the English game at this age. He can of course still change a game with a single pass/shoot and has scored something like 20 goals already this season (albeit half of them in the preliminary rounds of the Europa League this summer), but I think he'd struggle badly if he were to come to City now. Some years ago, I'd have said a definite yes though.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby bobby brows » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:50 pm

I think the key to any summer moves is that the squad size is just 25 next season and 8 of those must effectively be british or british based players!

this basically means that city will have to unload a lot of players next year just to get to 25!

As for Ireland, SWP, Nedum the power is with them now as there british based players and some clubs will struggle to get 8 in their squad.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:09 pm

ramckaymancity wrote:I think the key to any summer moves is that the squad size is just 25 next season and 8 of those must effectively be british or british based players!

this basically means that city will have to unload a lot of players next year just to get to 25!

As for Ireland, SWP, Nedum the power is with them now as there british based players and some clubs will struggle to get 8 in their squad.

We'd have 8 british players easy as long as we keep SWP
Is that true about only having a squad of 25? First I have heard of it ?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby xavi6 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Miralem Pjanić please

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:30 pm

I would love it if City would sign De Rossi. Can't see it happening though, he is Mr. Roma.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby bobby brows » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Wooders wrote:
ramckaymancity wrote:I think the key to any summer moves is that the squad size is just 25 next season and 8 of those must effectively be british or british based players!

We'd have 8 british players easy as long as we keep SWP
Is that true about only having a squad of 25? First I have heard of it ?

was mentioned when the 8 british players rule was announced
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:08 pm

If we are to challenge for the title, play in Europe and have expectations for domestic cup success we will need to improve the quality of the 1st team and squad.

If we only sign one player though make sure it is a leader who would be captain and make the difference turning draws into wins.

Whilst it is the Manager's job to pick the team and provide the tactics IMO signing some of the below players would significantly improve our chances of success.

Defence
Maicon
Lahm
Subotic, Chiellini

Midfield
Hamsik, De Rossi
Ribery, Silva

Forwards
Torres, Pato, Villa
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Players to move on in the summer:

Onuoha – injury record and needs regular games. Hope he succeeds, just feel the time is right for him to move on.
Garrido – not a top 4 player. IMO better suited to Spanish football.
Toure – not a Captain and not commanding enough as a centre half.
Petrov – will want regular games and he won’t get that at City next season.
Bojinov – difficult to see him coming back from Italy. Not got the greatest goal to games record.
Caicedo – when does his contract expire? Unless there has been a massive improvement whilst he has been on loan then let him stay out on loan until his contract expires.
Benjani – Lets hope Sunderland want to take him at the end of the season.
Jo – Never really settled in England. Spain, Portugal or back to Brazil IMO.
Robinho – Be a big waste of talent if he stays back in Brazil but I can’t see it happening for him now at City.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Will go. (PLAYERS)

Benji,Garrido,Robbie,Petrov.

Might go

SWP,Ireland,Toure (I WANT ALL TO STAY)

Will go. (MANAGEMENT)

Mancini-replaced by Jose with a long contract and a pot of money and the job of delivering the title/Cups.

Ins (PLAYERS)

Whoever Jose wants.

On the whole, he has a dreadful record for buying players, then not bothering to play them. End of the day its not my money, but I think if Jose came he would have to get used to the "buying by committee" process we have allegedly established, as with a couple of exceptions it has worked very well to date.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:36 am

OUT: Petrov.

Err that's it really.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:36 am

OUT: Mancini

IN: Mourinho

;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby the_georgian_genius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:43 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:OUT: Mancini

IN: Mourinho

;-)

Do you throw out Heinze ketchup and buy Daddies?
the_georgian_genius

Postby Scatman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:52 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
BlueSince72 wrote:Hopeful Ins

Hiddink (Looking unlikely as the turkey job looks to be his!!)

Please don't get me started. The world's most overrated 'big name' manager. Fact.

Although we'd play more watchable football, admittedly.

Ahhhh, watchable football... those were the days.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Colin the King » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:03 am

Looking at our squad on the OS, I'd imagine these are the likely departures-

Onuoha- One of my favourite players, and obviously we all want a blue to succeed. But he's reaching an age where he needs to play regularly. In an ideal world he'd be first choice, playing every at City but through injuries and big money signings it's not worked out that way unfortunately. The guy has all the tools to become one of the best in the country in his position and it'd be selfish to keep him here stagnating. Possibly a loan move. I'd be gutted to see him go but it's probably in his interest.

Garrido- He's been a true professional in his three years with us but in truth he'll never be quite good enough to play regularly in a team with title winning aspirations. Certainly has a lot going for him- excellent passer, great set piece delivery and a football brain. He's just lacking in pace and that's been exposed more than once by the better wingers in this league. Can't fault the guy at all- he's been well worth the £1million transfer fee to us over the last few years.

Petrov- If I'm not mistaken he's out of contract in June and we probably won't be offering him any guarantees of regular football. He's no spring chicken but is still young enough to have another 2 or 3 years at a high level. It'd be a disservice to a guy with his ability to sit that out on the bench. Fantastic player- not without his faults- but on his day one of the best wingers in Europe. Again, £4.7million was a steal and he's well and truly repaid that.

Robinho- A fantastic talent- that's never been in doubt. But having the ability is useless if you don't have the desire to put it to good effect. That's been his downfall. I think he's quite content being the big fish in a small pond and won't be in any hurry back to these grey parts.

Bojinov and Caicedo- Both talented young strikers who did well in their cameo roles at City. But I doubt either are at the required standard- especially with the likes of Adebayor and Tevez at the manager's disposal. I was a big fan of Phil in particular and thought a lot of the criticism thrown at him was unfair. What is he, 21? Can see us fetching about £7million for the pair.

Jo- Complete and utter waste of space. No desire whatsoever. Falls about needlessly, never looked that bothered. Samaras was labelled one of the worst City strikers of all time- doesn't hold a fucking candle to this twat. Can see him on huge money in some third rate league with loads of Brazilian pals with equal levels of couldn'tbearsedtoworkhardforthecausedness.

Benjani- Out of contract. Don't need to say much else?

And the last two are circumstantial I reckon:

I can see Bellamy moving on if Mancini stays. Would be gutted if he left us but even if the tabloids are exaggerating the truth there's a clean unease from both parties and I think Craig was hit harder than most by Hughes' sacking. If Hughes gets a Premier League job somewhere I'd expect him to follow.

And Vieira's loan will only become a permanent contract if Mancini stays but if old Bobby's not kept on neither will he. From what I've seen so far he looks unimpressive- that's being kind- and at his age I don't think we can expect any drastic improvements.
Colin the King

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby john@staustell » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:42 am

That's a fair summary Colin. Ned - even when he can play - never really made the step up with experience to commanding CB, you sense he's a little shy and polite. Petrov I fancy is coming to the end of his days in the top flight. Maybe he'll be wise enough to take a bit-part contract? Otherwise he may disappear altogether or, worse still, end up at Bolton.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum