Do You Feel CONFIDENT About Us Winning Titles?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Are you sure we will win cups sooner or later

Yeah, man. We are on Maine Road to glory. No question about it.
44%
Nah, Í think we are doomed to shitdom. Nothing ever changes for us.
9%
I'm not sure, I just want us to win something quickly before it all goes wrong again.
47%

Total votes : 43

Do You Feel CONFIDENT About Us Winning Titles?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Right, loads of people are saying that we shouldn't necesserily worry about FA Cup for example as we will eventually win stuff anyway.

Do people feel confident about this?

I'm going to be perfectly honest here, I want us to win something quickly as in the back of my head I have fear that it will all go pear shaped sooner or later. Just like it always does for us.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Do You Feel CONFIDENT About Us Winning Titles?

Postby ant london » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:13 pm

that's your inner Finn coming out

Yeah I'm positive we're going to win stuff in my lifetime now. Don't know when and honestly don't care that much. (altho pretty positive it will be within the next 3-5 years when)

I am loving being genuine contenders. Although it is a bit annoying that EVERYONE seems to be against us nowadays it is pretty pimpin to be thought of as a prize scalp in the top flight
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:19 pm

i don't care if we win a trophy...as long as we grind out 1-0 wins in a gritty fashion featuring 2-3 defensive mids.

Winning? that's secondary to style.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Definately the 'not sure' option.
I've said it before, even if we did get to UCL for next season or for the next four seasons there are million things that could go wrong. That's why I want us to win something asap.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Yes I do because we're the richest club in the world.

We won't win the title this season thats pretty much a given....

To be honest I'm not confident going into the next game, but if you've enough money to throw at something, eventually we will win something.

Obviously, getting into the top four will bring the greatest players on the plnet to City and we'll not only have cups in abundance, but also our future will be secure after a few years because the revenue will be massive and we won't be completely dependant on the Sheikh anymore.... thus not having to worry about the future of the club going "belly up".

You're saying you want a trophy as soon as possible, which is fine, but in the same breath you say you're scared it could all be taken away from us. The thing is, that's less likely if we finish top four for a few years, so you've a bit of thinking to do ;)
Original Dub

Postby Socrates » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:31 pm

None of those 3 options fit my mood. I'm very hopeful of titles but not to the point of confidence. I am confident of some sort of silverware though.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Right, loads of people are saying that we shouldn't necesserily worry about FA Cup for example as we will eventually win stuff anyway.

I'm going to be perfectly honest here, I want us to win something quickly as in the back of my head I have fear that it will all go pear shaped sooner or later. Just like it always does for us.

I voted yes we will win titles - I actually think once we start we will go on and on - but I also concur with your view that we should win something asap - the sooner we start the sooner we dominate - but we won the lottery - the Sheik is the real deal and in the modern world where money is tight nothing will stop him/us - although the powers that be will try with new regulations in UeFA and PL
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:41 pm

There's a huge cultural clash between our manager and the majority of the "home nations" fans at the moment. I class myself as one of them. Whereas an Italian/Continental manager will be more than comfortable grinding out wins us fans at the ground get very nervy and worried that we are just one opposition's attack away from messing it all up.

Therefore, the confidence levels of the fans has dropped even when we have won in a professional manner. The level of anxiety is rising week on week. I do wonder how that will transfer to the players on the pitch. After all, most of them have been brought up playing premiership football.

To answer the question, with the amount of wealth we have I feel confident that within the next decade I will have seen City at Wembley a couple of times and maybe even the league after the same members of our defence has played together for a couple of seasons on the bounce.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Yeah im thinking the same as you, if we dont get top 4 this year or win the FA cup and do the same next year will the sheikh walk away? thats what im nervous about i want the team to perform so he will stay.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ant london » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Socrates wrote:None of those 3 options fit my mood. I'm very hopeful of titles but not to the point of confidence. I am confident of some sort of silverware though.

Ah i read the title differently

I was thinking that the title of (say) FA Cup winners would fall within this

I think we'll win the league but god knows when....A first bit of silverware will come in the next 3-5 for me
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:49 pm

So long as our present owners stay we'll win titles, sooner rather than later imo but the FA Cup now would be a real boost for the club altough the draw(s) make that a tough job. If I had the choice I still prefer top 4 though because we can sign the players to complete the jigsaw if we get there & go for the title next season. That's in our hands with competent results too. We can still lose some games & get there so long as we do our job in the others.

I also think a City team playing at it's best would win the ties Chelsea, rags & possibly Arsenal are about to play in the Chump's lg. I think they're actually easier ties than us having to beat Stoke & Chelsea away & if we'd been in the Chump's lg this season we'd have had a good run I recon. No reason we can't kick up the shit amongst Platini's boys next season & I'd love how much they'd hate it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:56 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Right, loads of people are saying that we shouldn't necesserily worry about FA Cup for example as we will eventually win stuff anyway.

I voted yes we will win titles - I actually think once we start we will go on and on - but I also concur with your view that we should win something asap - the sooner we start the sooner we dominate - but we won the lottery - the Sheik is the real deal and in the modern world where money is tight nothing will stop him/us - although the powers that be will try with new regulations in UeFA and PL

He just said summat to you Antti
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Patrick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:02 pm

haha bings!

I reckon we will win stuff - not this year maybe not next - but in the next 5 certainly

im happy to wait

Id be happier if we kept a manager into his 3rd season as well
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby walmai » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:31 pm

You'll win a cup long before you win the title.

You won't win the title until you've got a fully-functioning defence (as well you know).
Given's a very good keeper, but you got had over by Arsenal and Everton, imho, and need to rebuild your CB partnership. It is some distance behind the present top 4 in terms of concentration and ability.
Wayne Bridge was poor for you before he got injured too.

I still think you'll come 4th this year, mind.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:39 pm

walmai wrote:You'll win a cup long before you win the title.

You won't win the title until you've got a fully-functioning defence (as well you know).
Given's a very good keeper, but you got had over by Arsenal and Everton, imho, and need to rebuild your CB partnership. It is some distance behind the present top 4 in terms of concentration and ability.

We haven't actually had a settled back 4 or even a settled CB partnership though. Every few games it changes due to injury. It looked like it was coming together v Chelsea then was a different line up for the next two games & got shuffled ever since. Lescott has only just come back.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby brite blu sky » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Defo think we will win stuff but think it will more difficult than we might have imagined.
My confidence comes form. the right business attitude from the owners driving the ambition of the Club forward. We have good players who we have seen can play well together. If Mancicni cant get it right with this set of players ( it is quite obvious that our defensive capacity is still not there and i think Bob knows this ) then he will have tried his best, of that i am sure and the legacy will be players that are better at defensive duties and organisation. For Bob or someone else to continue to build on next season.

Right now i am interested to see how well we can hold Stoke off at theirs and if there are some signs of life appearing in co-ordinating attacks from midfield.. ie see Vieira start to influence the game a bit, if only in patches for now.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby walmai » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

We haven't actually had a settled back 4 or even a settled CB partnership though. Every few games it changes due to injury. It looked like it was coming together v Chelsea then was a different line up for the next two games & got shuffled ever since. Lescott has only just come back.

Yeah, but am I right or wrong to assume that Toure and Lescott were purchased in order to play together in a CB pairing? That's the point that I was making; they're not title-winning standard, either individually, or as a pair.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby crossan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:41 pm

What worries me is whether Sheik Mansoor is prepared to be patient or not,he may come to the conclusion that he was sold a pig in a poke by Shinawatra.................some of the buys have shown to be very iffy,Adabayor,Lescott,Barry have been very poor,hopefully the owner will show similar preparedness as we City fans have shown over the years.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:43 pm

walmai wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Yeah, but am I right or wrong to assume that Toure and Lescott were purchased in order to play together in a CB pairing? That's the point that I was making; they're not title-winning standard, either individually, or as a pair.

Individually, they could well be title winning standard. One has already proven that and the other had to move club to find out.

they are too similar as a partnership though and that's hughes fault....
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:46 pm

crossan wrote:What worries me is whether Sheik Mansoor is prepared to be patient or not,he may come to the conclusion that he was sold a pig in a poke by Shinawatra.................some of the buys have shown to be very iffy,Adabayor,Lescott,Barry have been very poor,hopefully the owner will show similar preparedness as we City fans have shown over the years.

Lescott and Barry have been poor, but Ade has a better strike rate than 1 in 2 and that's waht he was bought for... Also, I've faith in Barry and faith in Lescott once he's not paired with Toure.

Anyway, he must be delighted with pretty much all of the other buys, barring RSC so far. Fantastic aquisitions IMO.
Original Dub

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum