Adam Johnson set to return at Stoke

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Adam Johnson set to return at Stoke

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Adam Johnson is set to return to the starting line-up for tomorrow night’s trip to Stoke City, but the Blues are likely to be missing at least four key players.

Of the team who began the FA Cup tie with the Potters on Saturday, only Bulgarian winger Martin Petrov is rated as doubtful as the Blues aim to climb into fourth spot in the Premier League ahead of Sunday’s crucial clash with Liverpool.

Carlos Tevez, Craig Bellamy and Vincent Kompany are still unavailable for the trip to the Britannia Stadium.

“Apart from Martin Petrov, I don’t think we have any new injuries at this stage,” said City boss Roberto Mancini.

“I think this game will come too quickly for Vincent Kompany and we will still be without Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy for the Stoke match, but Adam Johnson is available again and I’m sure he will feature in the game.”

Mancini feels his team did enough to progress to the last of the FA Cup at the weekend, but the failure to kill Stoke off in the first half proved costly.

“I think you will see a different game tomorrow night,” he said. “On Saturday we played well in the first half, but we couldn’t find a second goal after taking the lead.

"The second half we were so-so, but we didn’t play too badly. We just made the mistake of conceding a throw-in from
which they scored"

“I think we handled Stoke’s corners comfortably, but the Rory Delap throw-ins are very dangerous and difficult to defend against and with their pitch being narrower and shorter, we must have more focus and concentration each time they attack in this way.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Adam Johnson set to return at Stoke

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
Adam Johnson is set to return to the starting line-up for tomorrow night’s trip to Stoke City, but the Blues are likely to be missing at least four key players.

Of the team who began the FA Cup tie with the Potters on Saturday, only Bulgarian winger Martin Petrov is rated as doubtful as the Blues aim to climb into fourth spot in the Premier League ahead of Sunday’s crucial clash with Liverpool.

Carlos Tevez, Craig Bellamy and Vincent Kompany are still unavailable for the trip to the Britannia Stadium.

“Apart from Martin Petrov, I don’t think we have any new injuries at this stage,” said City boss Roberto Mancini.

“I think this game will come too quickly for Vincent Kompany and we will still be without Carlos Tevez and Craig Bellamy for the Stoke match, but Adam Johnson is available again and I’m sure he will feature in the game.”

Mancini feels his team did enough to progress to the last of the FA Cup at the weekend, but the failure to kill Stoke off in the first half proved costly.

“I think you will see a different game tomorrow night,” he said. “On Saturday we played well in the first half, but we couldn’t find a second goal after taking the lead.

"The second half we were so-so, but we didn’t play too badly. We just made the mistake of conceding a throw-in from
which they scored"

“I think we handled Stoke’s corners comfortably, but the Rory Delap throw-ins are very dangerous and difficult to defend against and with their pitch being narrower and shorter, we must have more focus and concentration each time they attack in this way.”

mcfc.co.uk

You said it Bobby - now lets DO IT!!!
Original Dub

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:45 pm

The quote in large font reminded me of a team (cannot remember who) playing Stoke last season that put the ball out for a corner instead of a throw-in. Looked funny to see the defender actively seeking to do this but in hindsight if Given had done the same we probably would have been in the next round.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:28 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:The quote in large font reminded me of a team (cannot remember who) playing Stoke last season that put the ball out for a corner instead of a throw-in. Looked funny to see the defender actively seeking to do this but in hindsight if Given had done the same we probably would have been in the next round.

I didn't see that but I think it must have been one of the very few times in football when conceding a corner is preferred to conceding a throw-in!!
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby ryanmjo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:52 pm

I would hope so!!
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Biamp » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 pm

He's a key man in our coming games, especially with Tevez and Bellamy not available.
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum