Top Four!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Top Four!

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:49 pm

french_tony wrote:Looking at the fixtures we probably need to win seven or six and a few draws to guarantee fourth. Tricky as we do have some tough games but certainly doable. That said, can all of Scouse 1, Villa or Spurs do the same? I doubt it.
I dont believe all this shit about Everton being a theat, they will not get 30 points from 11 games.

Its in our hands now and ours to lose. It till certainly be an interesting end to the season, as long as Carlitto, Bellers, Vince and De Jong stay fit (IMO our 4 players of the season) we have a chance.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!

Well they are 2-0 down to Tottingham now and loss will put them efectively out.

Still, I dodn't think Tottenham is as good as some people think. They'll drop some easy points from now 'til the end of the season. They've played some great games this season but at worst have been just as dire as us.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:52 pm

spurs are manhandling everton so look likely to go back into 4th. would have been nice to see these cunts draw.

spurs look really good going forward and pretty stiff at the back. Everton don't look like complete crap being down 2-nil either. Less "fannying about" in the opposition box and they'd have a goal or two. the chances have been there. Gomes is clanking balls around left and right.

i think City's chances for 4th rest in getting 20 more points.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
french_tony wrote:Looking at the fixtures we probably need to win seven or six and a few draws to guarantee fourth. Tricky as we do have some tough games but certainly doable. That said, can all of Scouse 1, Villa or Spurs do the same? I doubt it.
I dont believe all this shit about Everton being a theat, they will not get 30 points from 11 games.

Its in our hands now and ours to lose. It till certainly be an interesting end to the season, as long as Carlitto, Bellers, Vince and De Jong stay fit (IMO our 4 players of the season) we have a chance.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!

Still, I dodn't think Tottenham is as good as some people think. They'll drop some easy points from now 'til the end of the season. They've played some great games this season but at worst have been just as dire as us.

Everton have almost thrown the game 1st half. You can bet your life they won't give us such an easy ride, we'll have to earn it if we beat them rather than have it handed on a plate.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:57 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:spurs are manhandling everton so look likely to go back into 4th. would have been nice to see these cunts draw.

spurs look really good going forward and pretty stiff at the back. Everton don't look like complete crap being down 2-nil either. Less "fannying about" in the opposition box and they'd have a goal or two. the chances have been there. Gomes is clanking balls around left and right.

cheers

I'd agree with that and a points total of 69. Spurs run in April of consecutive games against Chelsea, Arsenal and United should help matters
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:01 pm

craigmcfc wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:spurs are manhandling everton so look likely to go back into 4th. would have been nice to see these cunts draw.

cheers

I'd agree with that and a points total of 69. Spurs run in April of consecutive games against Chelsea, Arsenal and U***d should help matters

Well it's in the PL rules that they're not allowed to win at OT, even when they bother to turn up, which they didn't in the cup game.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!

Everton have almost thrown the game 1st half. You can bet your life they won't give us such an easy ride, we'll have to earn it if we beat them rather than have it handed on a plate.

You can just imagine that can't you. Sitting in fourth, only needing a draw and Everton in the final game after the season ends!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!

You can just imagine that can't you. Sitting in fourth, only needing a draw and Everton in the final game after the season ends!

They'll park the fucking bus when they play us but today have defended as if Brian Horton was in charge.

Edit, just scored!

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby btajim » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Tottenham take their place in the Top 4 if they beat Everton. It's a shame it's Goal Difference and not Goals Scored because we'd still be 4th regardless of their result.

This is completely in our own hands.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:56 pm

btajim wrote:Tottenham take their place in the Top 4 if they beat Everton. It's a shame it's Goal Difference and not Goals Scored because we'd still be 4th regardless of their result.

This is completely in our own hands.

as an American...im embarrassed that Donovan didn't bury his chance to earn the draw. he really should have scored in about the 77th minute. he was unprepared and hit the side netting. fucler.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:07 pm

To make the top 4 we needed to seriously up our game and after 42 minutes yesterday it was as far off as a Wembley appearance this year.Then cam the Tevez moment that hopefully will give us the belief for the run in.

We were awfuly yesterday until that moment as we all could see and many posted on here but the change from that moment was great. Granted we got a keeper who was a joke but it wasn't lucky from that moment on.We can do it but that second half performance needs to be repeated more often than not. Any more of the first half effort that we have seen too often recently and I fear the worst.

Tevez is massively important in that, his effort ,quality and influence is unquestionable.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:To make the top 4 we needed to seriously up our game and after 42 minutes yesterday it was as far off as a Wembley appearance this year.Then cam the Tevez moment that hopefully will give us the belief for the run in.

We were awfuly yesterday until that moment as we all could see and many posted on here but the change from that moment was great. Granted we got a keeper who was a joke but it wasn't lucky from that moment on.We can do it but that second half performance needs to be repeated more often than not. Any more of the first half effort that we have seen too often recently and I fear the worst.

Tevez is massively important in that, his effort ,quality and influence is unquestionable.

Very true mate and the worry I have is the means in which we get our goals. Take yesterday for instance, Tevez chases a ball while all our players are in our half, and scores. The second came from a ball over the top to Bellers from our half, running the length of the pitch with no real back up and slotting it away. It was only then that we started to apply a bit of pressure and the third was due to Gareth actually staying a bit further forward and nicking it off Bolletti with the outcome of a red card. The last, well Chelsea were all forward leaving the room for us to sweep forward.

Although I am more than grateful and very happy to win against Chelsea, by such a scoreline, it does worry me that we just want to sit before trying to move up as a team. The 2 goals that won us the game were single handed goals made and finished by 2 exceptional players, aided by some desperate goalkeeping. There was no flow at all prior to this which sort of tells me that if we hadn't had Carlos on the pitch, and without Ade, that we wouldn't have actually got into their box.

We all hope this is a springboard and that Mancio's formations and tactics are strating to sink in, but at the same time he must start to alternate the play and allow the strengths of the team to be unleashed when appropriate.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:To make the top 4 we needed to seriously up our game and after 42 minutes yesterday it was as far off as a Wembley appearance this year.Then cam the Tevez moment that hopefully will give us the belief for the run in.

Very true mate and the worry I have is the means in which we get our goals. Take yesterday for instance, Tevez chases a ball while all our players are in our half, and scores. The second came from a ball over the top to Bellers from our half, running the length of the pitch with no real back up and slotting it away. It was only then that we started to apply a bit of pressure and the third was due to Gareth actually staying a bit further forward and nicking it off Bolletti with the outcome of a red card. The last, well Chelsea were all forward leaving the room for us to sweep forward.

Although I am more than grateful and very happy to win against Chelsea, by such a scoreline, it does worry me that we just want to sit before trying to move up as a team. The 2 goals that won us the game were single handed goals made and finished by 2 exceptional players, aided by some desperate goalkeeping. There was no flow at all prior to this which sort of tells me that if we hadn't had Carlos on the pitch, and without Ade, that we wouldn't have actually got into their box.

We all hope this is a springboard and that Mancio's formations and tactics are strating to sink in, but at the same time he must start to alternate the play and allow the strengths of the team to be unleashed when appropriate.

1st half we were only getting one player forward & amazingly, he scored. I can understand that for 20-25 mins at Chelsea but it's inviting pressure & the possibility of a defensive mistake if you don't start to worry the oppo with more of an attacking threat. 2nd half though we were often getting 3-4 forward on the counter & that should be enough if they play it right. Most teams would be vulnerable to us on the break if we play like that.

What do we do v teams who keep 6-7 back themselves like Fulham/Birmingham/Villa/Everton if we don't get the 1st goal though & we've got 6-7 in our own half? If we solve that we'll probably get 4th. If we don't it'll be back to doom & gloom in a few weeks.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Somerset Blue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:19 pm

'Awful' is how were against Hull, and Stoke (several times). We weren't great in the first half yesterday, but it certainly wasn't awful.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

1st half we were only getting one player forward & amazingly, he scored. I can understand that for 20-25 mins at Chelsea but it's inviting pressure & the possibility of a defensive mistake if you don't start to worry the oppo with more of an attacking threat. 2nd half though we were often getting 3-4 forward on the counter & that should be enough if they play it right. Most teams would be vulnerable to us on the break if we play like that.

What do we do v teams who keep 6-7 back themselves like Fulham/Birmingham/Villa/Everton if we don't get the 1st goal though & we've got 6-7 in our own half? If we solve that we'll probably get 4th. If we don't it'll be back to doom & gloom in a few weeks.

Rather than doom and gloom, I'm actually finding it interesting, if that makes sense. I am actually seeing a progression from game to game and seeing how Mancio is setting them in place and asking them to play his way. We play from the back and move up in formation, sometimes getting the longball to the front men, sometimes playing it through the midfield. It's not quite perfect at the moment but as I said, it's interesting to see if we actually get there.

As for the 7 at the back, well I think we'll carry on as is, opting for a cautious approach until we get the opportunity to cut through. This may mean many 90 minutes of 50/50 possession with no-one having a shot on goal, or alternatively, kill them with attrition and score 4. We'll just have to wait and see.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blootoof » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm

I could get used to this

blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beeks » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:12 pm

That's fucking quality toof...A bit of recognition!
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby ian494 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Looks like it's a top 5 then!!
ian494
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 pm

blootoof wrote:I could get used to this

Love it
Should be Tev and Bellamy in the pic imo.
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:38 pm

So is it a top 5 now? Too bad the fifth doesn't get into CL though.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:So is it a top 5 now? Too bad the fifth doesn't get into CL though.

Nope it clearly says THE BIG GUNS, maybe this new name will take off if Sky follow suit too.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum