Santa Cruz

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Santa Cruz

Postby ant london » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 am

Wooders wrote:to criticise him over ady tonight seems really harsh and a tad "agenda"like

Agreed, unsurprising that the tic tac twins have managed to stay on his back and give him unjustified stick whilst managing to be positive about every other thing like they are mainlining Prozac
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 am

New Boo boy.

Mind you dont worry next week it will be SWP.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 am

Can I refer people to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28341&p=50259&hilit=+santa+cruz+boo+boy#p50259

Santa Cruz in my opinion is fucking shit, always has been and always will be. I vehemently opposed us licking his balls for 12 months before paying a ridiculous price for him. What irked me even more though, and my reason for starting that thread in November was that Hughes played him with Bentley and Pederson at Blackburn, yet when he got fit here played him on his own, up front without wingers who could cross.

Last night we played with 2 wingers after we had been twatted for an hour, both of whom were totally ineffective anyway and lost the ball on nearly every occasion they had it, and he had a strike partner who is genuinely the laziest and most workshy player I have ever seen in a City shirt.

He most probably eclipses Lee Bradbury for transfer fee to talent ratio, but as shit as he is, he is here now,he is better than Benjani, and until the fuckwits managing the club play to his strengths, he might as well not be on the pitch - that is NOT his fault, he can only do his best at the job he is asked to do.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 am

johnpb78 wrote:Can I refer people to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28341&p=50259&hilit=+santa+cruz+boo+boy#p50259

Santa Cruz in my opinion is fucking shit, always has been and always will be. I vehemently opposed us licking his balls for 12 months before paying a ridiculous price for him. What irked me even more though, and my reason for starting that thread in November was that Hughes played him with Bentley and Pederson at Blackburn, yet when he got fit here played him on his own, up front without wingers who could cross.

Last night we played with 2 wingers after we had been twatted for an hour, both of whom were totally ineffective anyway and lost the ball on nearly every occasion they had it, and he had a strike partner who is genuinely the laziest and most workshy player I have ever seen in a City shirt.

He most probably eclipses Lee Bradbury for transfer fee to talent ratio, but as shit as he is, he is here now,he is better than Benjani, and until the fuckwits managing the club play to his strengths, he might as well not be on the pitch - that is NOT his fault, he can only do his best at the job he is asked to do.

I don't know how much German football you watch so I won't go there. But you honestly thought Santa Cruz was shit when he banged in 20+ goals in his debut Premier League season for Blackburn, including two at Eastlands? Give over.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:Can I refer people to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28341&p=50259&hilit=+santa+cruz+boo+boy#p50259

I don't know how much German football you watch so I won't go there. But you honestly thought Santa Cruz was shit when he banged in 20+ goals in his debut Premier League season for Blackburn, including two at Eastlands? Give over.

By the same token, did Benjani being the top premier league scorer when we signed him mean that he was a quality player?

A good player is one who does what he does on a consistent basis. Benjani and RSC are neither, other than consistently fair to middling, and both have shocking goal scoring records through their career - its not an accident when you look over their careers, but the actual anomaly was the small purple patch when taken in context with their long career of mediocrity.

I would put RSC's purple patch a couple of years back down to Hughes playing Bentley and Pederson, two very good, effective and direct type wingers who can also play a nice through ball. However we bought him and have refused to supply him whenever he has played, which for me was particularly galling in Hughes case.

We are still not, so he will suffer in games like last night - which once you recognise he is a limited player, you simply have to accept his performances, thus shift the blame to the manager not the player.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 am

johnpb78 wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

By the same token, did Benjani being the top premier league scorer when we signed him mean that he was a quality player?

A good player is one who does what he does on a consistent basis. Benjani and RSC are neither, other than consistently fair to middling, and both have shocking goal scoring records through their career - its not an accident when you look over their careers, but the actual anomaly was the small purple patch when taken in context with their long career of mediocrity.

I would put RSC's purple patch a couple of years back down to Hughes playing Bentley and Pederson, two very good, effective and direct type wingers who can also play a nice through ball. However we bought him and have refused to supply him whenever he has played, which for me was particularly galling in Hughes case.

We are still not, so he will suffer in games like last night - which once you recognise he is a limited player, you simply have to accept his performances, thus shift the blame to the manager not the player.

Santa Cruz's goals-to-game ratio is good. He's injury prone, but this wasn't your point. You were accusing him of having a lack of talent when he's got bags of it.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

Santa Cruz's goals-to-game ratio is good. He's injury prone, but this wasn't your point. You were accusing him of having a lack of talent when he's got bags of it.

Where do you believe his strengths lie?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:17 am

johnpb78 wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

Brave, good in the air, excellent awareness in and around the box, can finish, has two good feet and isn't slow for his size.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 am

johnpb78 wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:

What ever anyone says you're just going to claim he was shit doing it & will only clam up in the unlikely event that he scores about 30 goals in the next 30 games, otherwise these kind of nasty shitty threads are going to continue, populated by a load of people who'se minds are altready made up even though he's barely played, continuing until he's sold & then going 'I told you so' afterwards for 2-3 years so what's the fucking point in bothering?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:42 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:Where do you believe his strengths lie?

Brave, good in the air, excellent awareness in and around the box, can finish, has two good feet and isn't slow for his size.

Bloody hell, he has it all, so why only one season in European football with more than 5 league goals in a season - maybe it is just bad luck? I dont doubt that he is good in a certain style of play, which is what Hughes found at Blackburn, and which is why I am frustrated at how we have played him.

However, in a year or two, would it be considered at the end of a 15 year career that it will be defined by one 20 goal season, or defined by a whole decade (10 seasons and counting) of single digit returns.

I can accept and believe that he has the talent, however there is a huge body of evidence to support that he has used that talent to any great extent once in 11 years as a professional footballer. Whilst I am trying to cut him some slack in my appraisal of the way he is being played for us, I cant look past the facts, and the facts are that he has been consistently poor throughout his career - as I can only accept so many bad luck stories.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 am

I am a big fan of Roque and truly believe if he gets a decent run in the side he will score by the bucket for us, I think he works harder than Ade and might be better served with Carlito alongside him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby dazby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:56 am

You suprise me sometimes Slim. I did not expect you to have that opinion. Recently you put a smiley face at the end of a post.

Are you in love or something?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:56 am

I think he'll be good if he can get a run under his belt. But he can't, so He'll never be good.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Slim wrote:I am a big fan of Roque and truly believe if he gets a decent run in the side he will score by the bucket for us, I think he works harder than Ade and might be better served with Carlito alongside him.

I think any combination of our strikers would work, including RSC + Ade but for that partnership to work we need wide players & fullbacks to deliver quality balls ito the box, something we do worse than most teams in the league.

Tbf to Mancini he said the same thing, in his garbled way, after the match.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ant london » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm

I rate him. We lose nothing by getting behind him, some of the views expressed in this thread beggar belief

He's also very handsome isn't he. He manages to balance out the fugliness quota which is maxed by the likes of Tevez, Lescott, Petrov, Kompany and De Jong
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:10 pm

ant london wrote:I rate him. We lose nothing by getting behind him, some of the views expressed in this thread beggar belief

He's also very handsome isn't he. He manages to balance out the fugliness quota which is maxed by the likes of Tevez, Lescott, Petrov, Kompany and De Jong

If only we had got Gago.
Even i'd of been wet.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

What ever anyone says you're just going to claim he was shit doing it & will only clam up in the unlikely event that he scores about 30 goals in the next 30 games, otherwise these kind of nasty shitty threads are going to continue, populated by a load of people who'se minds are altready made up even though he's barely played, continuing until he's sold & then going 'I told you so' afterwards for 2-3 years so what's the fucking point in bothering?

Ted, with all due respect mate, read the whole post before you comment.

My op was in fact probably the most supportive and objective post on the whole thread relating to RSC, yet you and DV have jumped on one sentence where I stated that my opinion was that he was shit.

You both completely ignored the majority of the post stating the reasons why I felt he was not being helped by the manager(s) to play to the strengths he showed at Blackburn, and that he was being unfairly singled out by members on the board/crowd - a view I have been consistent with for a number of months.

So in future before you start to whinge, read the posts, or as you suggested dont fucking bother if you actually have nothing to say about the subject.

Failing that ask KK for a job as a mod so you can apply your censorship of opinions you dont agree with.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Slim wrote:I am a big fan of Roque and truly believe if he gets a decent run in the side he will score by the bucket for us, I think he works harder than Ade and might be better served with Carlito alongside him.

I agree.

So this another thread about one of the people on my "not good enough" list.

Like I said, if every player that had a thread started about how shit they are and how they are not good enough was to be truely believed, we'd have 5 players on our quest for the top four.

RSC most certainly IS good enough, I just hope he doesn't get injured again.

Unfortunately, all of our strikers will most likely suffer under Mancini as time goes on. As will I.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

johnpb78 wrote: My op was in fact probably the most supportive and objective post on the whole thread relating to RSC, yet you and DV have jumped on one sentence where I stated that my opinion was that he was shit.

johnpb78 wrote: Santa Cruz in my opinion is fucking shit, always has been and always will be. I vehemently opposed us licking his balls for 12 months before paying a ridiculous price for him.

He most probably eclipses Lee Bradbury for transfer fee to talent ratio, but as shit as he is, he is here now

A good player is one who does what he does on a consistent basis. Benjani and RSC are neither, other than consistently fair to middling, and both have shocking goal scoring records through their career

Bloody hell, he has it all, so why only one season in European football with more than 5 league goals in a season - maybe it is just bad luck? .

I apologise, you're clearly sitting on the fence.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alioune DVToure » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:45 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Ted, with all due respect mate, read the whole post before you comment.

My op was in fact probably the most supportive and objective post on the whole thread relating to RSC, yet you and DV have jumped on one sentence where I stated that my opinion was that he was shit.

You both completely ignored the majority of the post stating the reasons why I felt he was not being helped by the manager(s) to play to the strengths he showed at Blackburn, and that he was being unfairly singled out by members on the board/crowd - a view I have been consistent with for a number of months.

So in future before you start to whinge, read the posts, or as you suggested dont fucking bother if you actually have nothing to say about the subject.

Failing that ask KK for a job as a mod so you can apply your censorship of opinions you dont agree with.

Myself and Ted haven't jumped on anything you've said. Your initial argument is that Roque's a poor player, which we fairly disputed .You then tried to change your argument to him receiing poor service last night, which we don't dispute. You then returned to your argument that he's shit on the basis of his goalscoring record. We suggested that this is more down to a succession of injuries as opposed to a lack of form or ability. Where's the problem?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum