Rory Delap's Throw Ins

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Rory Delap's Throw Ins

Postby walmai » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Wooders wrote:walmai he mysteriously had one everytime he took a throw in so I guess the answer is a resounding "yes"

Then someone needs to pull up the ref on it.

It paid dividends when we did.

It wouldn't be on for you to fail to beat these neanderthals three times in succession. Not on at all!

(My mum's family were Port Vale)
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:17 pm

mancini appeared to be talking to the ref about it on the way in at half time - the ref seemed to be waving him away

mind you I'm hardly gonna start complaining about Wiley at the moment
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby dikdik » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm

TED HUGHES

I was also thinking the same thing
The whole point of DELAP'S throw is the low trajectory from a much more advantageous angle than if he say was taking a corner.
Human beings as a whole (and for obvious reasons) are much more accurate when throwing things than when kicking them. When you add the vastly improved sight line into the equation it is indeed a potent weapon.

BUT

As you said why cannot a tall defender stand right in front of DELAP and just PUT HIM OFF???

Is this illegal?
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 pm

dazby wrote:We have discussed this before but I have the memory of a goldfish. Why do you think it's such a successful attacking weapon? Is it because of the trajectory? The fact that as a cross it has very little spin? Or just that it's worked a few times and Stoke have got confident about them and really have a go at it?

I think it's a bit like the 'Curtley Ambrose factor' in cricket; because the ball's coming from a different height than they're used to, they get all their angles wrong & end up in the wrong position to deal with it.

If they saw it more often I don't think there'd be a particular problem other than the normal problem we have with every ball that comes into our box from any angle.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:28 pm

dikdik wrote:TED HUGHES

I was also thinking the same thing
The whole point of DELAP'S throw is the low trajectory from a much more advantageous angle than if he say was taking a corner.
Human beings as a whole (and for obvious reasons) are much more accurate when throwing things than when kicking them. When you add the vastly improved sight line into the equation it is indeed a potent weapon.

BUT

As you said why cannot a tall defender stand right in front of DELAP and just PUT HIM OFF???

Is this illegal?

I've seen it done but I don't know if they've made a ruling that you have to stand back now. It may just be a bottle thing as Vinny Jones just threw the ball straight in the bloke's face when they tried it with him & probably broke his nose!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bear60 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:28 pm

King Kev wrote:I'm no football purist but I am glad that we don't resort to such shite tactics!

He is lucky to have found a club where the fans have such little footballinh knowledge that they actually get excited about watching this shit.

This. I would absolutely hate it if I was a Stoke City fan and had to watch that shite week in week out.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby walmai » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I've seen it done but I don't know if they've made a ruling that you have to stand back now. It may just be a bottle thing as Vinny Jones just threw the ball straight in the bloke's face when they tried it with him & probably broke his nose!

Ha Ha! I'd forgotten that!
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Maybe Shay Given can start toweling his boots before taking a goal kick.
Or Kolo toweling his forehead before defending a cross.
Just a thought.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Bear60 wrote:
King Kev wrote:I'm no football purist but I am glad that we don't resort to such shite tactics!

He is lucky to have found a club where the fans have such little footballinh knowledge that they actually get excited about watching this shit.

This. I would absolutely hate it if I was a Stoke City fan and had to watch that shite week in week out.

I know at least one person on this site who'd be BUZZING with EXCITEMENT over every throw in.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum