Adebayor

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Adebayor

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 pm

I just thought I'd start this thread to see if there's anyone else who feels the same in view of the considerable amount of comments he's had criticising his recent performances & effort etc.

I actually think he looks ok, in fact I think he looks very good & very comitted. Sure a lot of stuff's not coming off for him & some of his finishing has always been a bit Jason Lee on occasions but I thought he did ok v Stoke & battled just as hard as any of the £50 mil strikers people keep saying they'd like us to sign have ever done in their careers, in fact more so than most. He's not the best at jumping for hoofs upfield but he wins some great headers in the box. beats men often & generally causes problems & scores goals.

I thought he played some really half baked games before he went away & was losing patience but right now I recon he looks every bit as good as he did at the start of the season & a real handful for defenders but in a team that's not playing as well. I'm so glad he's playing for & not against against us on Sunday & if the team starts performing I recon he'll score bucketfuls of goals.

So there. Call me a tit if you want.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Re: Adebayor

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:10 pm

he has been looking good - although last night I felt he could have been a lot better but hey he's not the only one
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Wooders wrote:he has been looking good - although last night I felt he could have been a lot better but hey he's not the only one

I agree with that but it's not easy to be good in that kind of formation in that kind of game.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

I think Ade is very much a confidence type player. At the moment I think he’s playing alright, given the fact that the gap between midfield and attack is massive.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby gillie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:14 pm

I think he would shine even more if we could actually put some quality crosses into the oppos box.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby xavi6 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:14 pm

The service he has been getting is shit but what do you expect with three holding midfielders, one winger, and a crock for a strike partner.

http://backpagefootball.com/ featuring our new PODCAST!!!

You can't spell 'Failure' without 'F.A.I.'
xavi6
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Zab

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 pm

I love Ade...you can lose your form but you can never lose your skills and he is the type of player who can do fuck all most of the game then come up with a goal out of nothing...I agree with the above post by mase though...he is definitely a confidence player
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:18 pm

I noted against Stoke on Saturday that there were a number of occasions when the ball was lumped up to him, that he not only failed to challenge for the ball but on occasion actually ducked and seemed to cringe.
I don't doubt his quality with his feet and think we are best served feeding the ball to him on the ground...but i do expect him to at least make a serious challenge when it is in the air.
Maybe it is something that needs to be worked on.
Apart from that, I am happy that he has come back in one piece.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

He scores goals and he is a real handful to play against.

The criticism is part of this strange desire to criticise our players because they dont set the world on fire every week. We sign better players not because each of them should score 3 goals every match - including Barry and Vieira - but to RAISE THE QUALITY of the team/squad.

Comparing the likes of Ade and RSC with people like Caicedo, Evans, Benjani, and Barry with Gelson Fernandes etc, you realise how far we have come. But our fans expect miracles every week, from every signing.

I think it's something to do with our expectations being wildly altered in the last 2 years, and we need to find the right emotional level!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I think he'd actually thrive having AJ on the left and SWP on the right throwing quality balls in to the box.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 pm

john68 wrote:I noted against Stoke on Saturday that there were a number of occasions when the ball was lumped up to him, that he not only failed to challenge for the ball but on occasion actually ducked and seemed to cringe.
I don't doubt his quality with his feet and think we are best served feeding the ball to him on the ground...but i do expect him to at least make a serious challenge when it is in the air.
Maybe it is something that needs to be worked on.
Apart from that, I am happy that he has come back in one piece.

Fair comment but I agree we should stop whacking the ball in the air at him. If we're determined to hit it long in the air, put it on his chest or over the top for him to run onto.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Trust me John, I have no strange desire to criticise our players...(I do have other strange desires...but i shall keep that private).
I am merely analysing his game and identifying what i see as a weakness.
...and before you say it...yes i do think we are best served by playing the ball to his feet.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

The funny thing is he has proven in the past that he IS good in the air in and around the box...it's the hoof it up to him as a target man that he seems sadly lacking at the moment
Last edited by Beeks on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

ONE THING THAT PISSES ME OFF (AMONGST THE OTHER 100 THINGS) IS THAT, HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT WHEN HE GOES INTO A CHALLENGE HE NEVER LOOKS UP TO SEE WHERE THE BALL IS?????
THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW TIMES THAT IF HE HAD LOOKED UP INSTEAD OF THAT HEAD IN THE SHOULDERS THING HE DOES HE COULD HAVE HAD ANOTHER DIG AT GETTING THE BALL????

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I MEAN?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 pm

I think on his day he has it all, but those days seem only to be when the team as a whole have it all - having said that he doesnt seem to miss many when he gets a chance.

I am really surprised he hasnt hit it off with Tevez, as I would have thought Tevez would have the guile to play a killer through ball, but maybe the two just arent on the same wavelength, or maybe I overestimate Tevez' ability to do this. On the other hand he didnt really hit it off with RSC last night, but maybe was a bad game to judge him, because the service to the front 2 was dreadful.

Ireland has managed to play him those killer balls to Ade on a couple of occasions in recent weeks - so maybe the whole Adebayor issue is tied in with the big gap between attack and midfield.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Blue2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:I just thought I'd start this thread to see if there's anyone else who feels the same in view of the considerable amount of comments he's had criticising his recent performances & effort etc.

I actually think he looks ok, in fact I think he looks very good & very comitted. Sure a lot of stuff's not coming off for him & some of his finishing has always been a bit Jason Lee on occasions but I thought he did ok v Stoke & battled just as hard as any of the £50 mil strikers people keep saying they'd like us to sign have ever done in their careers, in fact more so than most. He's not the best at jumping for hoofs upfield but he wins some great headers in the box. beats men often & generally causes problems & scores goals.

I thought he played some really half baked games before he went away & was losing patience but right now I recon he looks every bit as good as he did at the start of the season & a real handful for defenders but in a team that's not playing as well. I'm so glad he's playing for & not against against us on Sunday & if the team starts performing I recon he'll score bucketfuls of goals.

So there. Call me a tit if you want.

Agree 100% Ted
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby btajim » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 pm

If he doesn't get the service then he won't score. Let Tevez and Bellamy do all the running because one quality strike from Adebayor might be all that's needed in a Match.

Sure, he's not my POTS - but I've no complaints with him.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby CityGer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm

I was worried that he would be badly affacted by what happened in Angola but I think he's looked sharp and hungry since he came back. His work rate and body language was starting to piss me off before he went away but I've notied a positive difference here since he came home.

His prtnership with Carlos is absolutely vital to us and if they stay fit and in form then we've got a great chance of getting fourth.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Gloryhunter123 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Adebayor always puts in a decent shift .
If Ade had better service maybe he would score more .
Gloryhunter123
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Sparky haters !
My favourite player is: Swp

Postby Mase » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Gloryhunter123 wrote:Adebayor always puts in a decent shift .
If Ade had better service maybe he would score more .

ADEBAYOR! ADEBAYORRRRRRRRRR! IS HE HAD DECENT SERVICE, HE'D SCORE A LOT MORE!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum