Pompey

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pompey

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Couldn't find the old thread - they made the deadline with their statement of affairs.

Thank God. Next stage is to try and find investment, so shieky sheikhy - time for a dinner party with some friends me thinks...

We CAN'T let Pompey go out of business or we will lose fourth IMO.
Original Dub

Re: Pompey

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Original Dub wrote:Couldn't find the old thread - they made the deadline with their statement of affairs.

Thank God. Next stage is to try and find investment, so shieky sheikhy - time for a dinner party with some friends me thinks...

I can't remember who it was but someone said nothing now will happen until the summer when its "not a premier league problem" - it was a top notch pundit but I forget who it was - sounds right to me, the fucking FA are like the illuminati at times
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby gillie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Wooders wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Couldn't find the old thread - they made the deadline with their statement of affairs.

I can't remember who it was but someone said nothing now will happen until the summer when its "not a premier league problem" - it was a top notch pundit but I forget who it was - sounds right to me, the fucking FA are like the illuminati at times

It was Neil Warnock mate.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby coxy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:40 pm

If points are deducted from teams who beat Pompey,what about players who have been booked/sent off against them?how does this fit nicely into the grand scheme of things?No no Rafa you`ll have earn that place,not in the C/L but UEFA cup places or whatever its called.
coxy
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby bluej » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 pm

According to the beeb site (their breaking news bar) they've asked the Premier League for permission to sell players outside of the transfer window.

edit - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 522283.stm
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Craig B » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:58 pm

bluej wrote:According to the beeb site (their breaking news bar) they've asked the Premier League for permission to sell players outside of the transfer window.

Is there anybody we fancy?
"..The object of playing any game is for enjoyment. If you have enjoyed it and done your best you have won no matter what the result." - Joe Mercer OBE
Craig B
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Gloryhunter123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Craig Bardsley wrote:
bluej wrote:According to the beeb site (their breaking news bar) they've asked the Premier League for permission to sell players outside of the transfer window.

Id take that Dindane , quality striker :)
Gloryhunter123
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Sparky haters !
My favourite player is: Swp

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:21 pm

Craig Bardsley wrote:

No, there team is beyond dire imo - take your pic tho

No. Position Player
1 GK David James (captain)
3 DF Ricardo Rocha
4 MF Aaron Mokoena
5 MF Jamie O'Hara (on loan from Tottenham Hotspur)
6 MF Hayden Mullins
7 DF Hermann Hreiðarsson (vice-captain)
8 MF Papa Bouba Diop
9 FW Frédéric Piquionne (on loan from Lyon)
11 MF Michael Brown (vice-captain)
14 FW Quincy Owusu-Abeyie (on loan from Spartak Moscow)
15 GK Antti Niemi
16 DF Steve Finnan
17 FW John Utaka
18 DF Anthony Vanden Borre (on loan from Genoa)
19 FW Danny Webber
20 FW Tommy Smith
No. Position Player
21 GK Jamie Ashdown
22 MF Richard Hughes
23 MF Kevin-Prince Boateng
24 FW Aruna Dindane
25 DF Duško Tošić
26 DF Tal Ben Haim
27 FW Nwankwo Kanu
32 MF Hassan Yebda (on loan from Benfica)
33 MF Angelos Basinas
35 DF Marc Wilson
37 MF Gaël N'Lundulu
39 MF Nadir Belhadj
40 DF Joel Ward
43 DF James Hurst
44 DF Luke Wilkinson
46 DF Lennard Sowah
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Manx Blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm

They are going under
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mike J » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 pm

id take belhadj as a squad player.

if they do go under and we lose 6 points that is fucking bang out of order imo.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby avoidconfusion » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:57 pm

To be honest I am preparing myself for that to happen. At least everyone would have an excuse why we won't make a top 4 finish then suppose. :(
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:41 pm

it is difficult to see the PL allowing Pompey to sink without trying everything they can to help stop it, if only for the reason it makes a mockery of the whole season, the PL itself.. English football in general.

Trouble is i cant see this latest trick as having any major effect on their finances apart from cutting down the wage bill, cos they will get jack for most of those players given the fact that buying clubs know they have to sell at any price.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Do they have any attacking midfielders? Maybe that James fella would be OK on the bench?

Personally I wont lose any sleep if Pompey drop out and start again as Pompey 2010 as long as it's at the end of the season, seeing we got 6 points off them.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 pm

i feel sorry for them i hold no deep connection to them but it never good for this kind of incident to happen(unless its the rags and real).
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby mr_nool » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:07 pm

That club as been horribly run the last years. It's not only the last two dodgy take overs that have caused this. That said, I hope they can be saved from liquidation, and that they are, for the sake of their fans, allowed to re-start from the bottom of the league system. I also hope all this sad business can be postponed until the end of the season.

Any one laughing at them, keep in mind that we were heading the same way under Frank. If the sheik hadn't stepped in, we'd be in a very bad position as well.
Last edited by mr_nool on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm

It actually is so sad and imagine how we'd feel? Sweet Jesus....

Can the points be taken off us if they go bust in the summer?
Original Dub

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Original Dub wrote:It actually is so sad and imagine how we'd feel? Sweet Jesus....

Can the points be taken off us if they go bust in the summer?

no coz everyone will have played them so it wouldn't matter
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:27 am

It is incredibly sad that a club that has just had it's greatest success since Adam was a small boy should find itself in this pickle. I don't buy into this, "they shouldn't have overspent" thing, afterall, why should they have to accept always failing? This is the result of skewed football finances that have taken hold over the last twenty five years. Time was when a club like Pompey, or Ipswich, Forest, Derby etc could compete, if they were well managed and had an even run of luck with injuries. Surely that's the way football should be.
The cynical side of me agrees, that the Premier League won't allow one of it's member to go bump mid season. Come the summer, when they're relegated that's another matter.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Wooders » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:It is incredibly sad that a club that has just had it's greatest success since Adam was a small boy should find itself in this pickle. I don't buy into this, "they shouldn't have overspent" thing, afterall, why should they have to accept always failing? This is the result of skewed football finances that have taken hold over the last twenty five years. Time was when a club like Pompey, or Ipswich, Forest, Derby etc could compete, if they were well managed and had an even run of luck with injuries. Surely that's the way football should be.
The cynical side of me agrees, that the Premier League won't allow one of it's member to go bump mid season. Come the summer, when they're relegated that's another matter.

We're talking about a club whose record attendance only just tips 20,000 mate - to sign the players on the money they were on under harry was reckless, even if they did get a cup out of it, you ask why they should accept always failing, because you have to spend money in the modern game, if you don't, you won't win anything - if you can't pay it back, you should accept your role in life as a low level premier league team or a top level championship team - like we did until the takeover
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Wooders wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:It is incredibly sad that a club that has just had it's greatest success since Adam was a small boy should find itself in this pickle. I don't buy into this, "they shouldn't have overspent" thing, afterall, why should they have to accept always failing? This is the result of skewed football finances that have taken hold over the last twenty five years. Time was when a club like Pompey, or Ipswich, Forest, Derby etc could compete, if they were well managed and had an even run of luck with injuries. Surely that's the way football should be.

We're talking about a club whose record attendance only just tips 20,000 mate - to sign the players on the money they were on under harry was reckless, even if they did get a cup out of it, you ask why they should accept always failing, because you have to spend money in the modern game, if you don't, you won't win anything - if you can't pay it back, you should accept your role in life as a low level premier league team or a top level championship team - like we did until the takeover

We nearly fucked it up like Leeds did though thanks to giving Keegan money to blow on shite. The Champions league is the biggest culprit for this imo, it's created such a division that clubs can't compete at all for the PL & often not even for a domestic cup (that the 'big 4' don't even care about), without bankrupting themselves because the 'big 4's 2nd 11's have been better than most people's 1st.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum