Move for Maicon in the Summer?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Move for Maicon in the Summer?

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Jose bosingwa
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Michael Brookes wrote:
Scatman wrote:Forget right back, we've plenty of options. What we need is more defensive midfielders. We're forced to play Adebayor and Tevez at the moment our squad is so small.

hehe

Yeah I liked that too ;)
Original Dub

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Wooders wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Can't help thinking a Richards/Maicon competition at RB would be better than a Zabaleta/Richards one. Or does no-one want to improve now?

hmm you could be right. I personally don't rate Maicon as highly as most but each to their own, in the above scenario though I think you a right.

It's about improving the squad mate. Everyone expects these new super-star signings to start pulling up trees, but they rarely do and then get stick. But Ade is an improvement on Caicedo. Barry is an improvement on Gelson (and fuckin Elano for that matter). Maicon wont set the world on fire but he is an improvement on (currently dire) Zabaleta.

We are actually getting close to the top now, we have at least a couple of top players. Every improvement will be gradual, depending on what is out there.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm

cityPinoy_fc wrote:Jose bosingwa

tidy little player for sure, but not the best in the world. Not even sure he's top 5 tbh.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

john@staustell wrote:Can't help thinking a Richards/Maicon competition at RB would be better than a Zabaleta/Richards one. Or does no-one want to improve now?

Of course that would be better than what we have as a competition, and of course I want to improve. I was just saying I'm not sure Maicon would be the automatic RB starter if he came.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:

Of course that would be better than what we have as a competition, and of course I want to improve. I was just saying I'm not sure Maicon would be the automatic RB starter if he came.

Absolutely agree and that's the situation we want to be in, in each position except goalie. Oops, hang on a minute...............
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

tidy little player for sure, but not the best in the world. Not even sure he's top 5 tbh.

agreed but sure as heck an improvement to the squad and there are only a few players in front of him. by the way his 183cm the dude is huge.
cityPinoy_fc

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:10 pm

bosingwa for me too, cant see him getting back in at chelsea with ivanovic and thought he was best of a bad bunch in terms of rights backs in the world for a while.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 pm

cityPinoy_fc wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

agreed but sure as heck an improvement to the squad and there are only a few players in front of him. by the way his 183cm the dude is huge.

183 cm. i can't remember the last time i heard a grown-ass man referenced in CM. maybe that's a cultural thing i guess. 183 cm sounds fucking huge. ahem.

i don't believe RB is not our highest priorty, or even 2nd highest priority right now. If we find a young up and coming talent to buy that would be swell, but i wouldn't splash out 20-30M on someone like Maicon...that's fucking godawful business on our part imho. Didn't we prove buying overpriced defenders didn't sort our defense in the last summer transfer window?

Look what arsenal did getting Vermaelen in at a fraction of the cost of Toure or Lescott and he's been 2x the player this season by far. those are the shrewd buys we need...not an overinflatedly-priced Brasilian who will be past his prime before his contract expires.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

I'd sign Maicon for right back and Phillip Lahm at left back. If they cost £20m each so be it.
Bojinov's left foot

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
cityPinoy_fc wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

183 cm. i can't remember the last time i heard a grown-ass man referenced in CM. maybe that's a cultural thing i guess. 183 cm sounds fucking huge. ahem.

i don't believe RB is not our highest priorty, or even 2nd highest priority right now. If we find a young up and coming talent to buy that would be swell, but i wouldn't splash out 20-30M on someone like Maicon...that's fucking godawful business on our part imho. Didn't we prove buying overpriced defenders didn't sort our defense in the last summer transfer window?

Look what arsenal did getting Vermaelen in at a fraction of the cost of Toure or Lescott and he's been 2x the player this season by far. those are the shrewd buys we need...not an overinflatedly-priced Brasilian who will be past his prime before his contract expires.

cheers

jeez aren't you the picky one ;) then i'll repeat 6ft 0in agreed with what you say though i would rather buy the next "(name of a football superstar here)" myself.
cityPinoy_fc

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Dubciteh wrote:bosingwa for me too, cant see him getting back in at chelsea with ivanovic and thought he was best of a bad bunch in terms of rights backs in the world for a while.

Is he that much out of favour - wow, I had no idea. I'd be all for that, the guy isnt flashy, but gets the job done at both ends of the pitch
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Keep richards for me, he is still learning. Strong, Fast, great athlete looking better going forward this season and has been dependable in defense.

I have seen Maicon twice for the full 90 this season, once he looked poor and the other time he looked awful. I know he has a big reputation but I am not impressed.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:15 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Keep richards for me, he is still learning. Strong, Fast, great athlete looking better going forward this season and has been dependable in defense.

I have seen Maicon twice for the full 90 this season, once he looked poor and the other time he looked awful. I know he has a big reputation but I am not impressed.

Way to go, and he's supposed to improve our RB options, lol.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Keep richards for me, he is still learning. Strong, Fast, great athlete looking better going forward this season and has been dependable in defense.

I've never seen him in the flesh but watch Serie A every week so have seen him quite few times and I have to disagree with you both. He is arguably the best right back in the world in my opinion. There are others you could debate over of course, but he is surely in anyone's top 5?

With regards to left back I personally would like to see Aly Cissokho from Lyon. I think this guy is amazing and another flyer who gets up and down the pitch with pace all game. Maicon on the right and Cissokho on the left would make me a very happy man.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:51 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

I've never seen him in the flesh but watch Serie A every week so have seen him quite few times and I have to disagree with you both. He is arguably the best right back in the world in my opinion. There are others you could debate over of course, but he is surely in anyone's top 5?

With regards to left back I personally would like to see Aly Cissokho from Lyon. I think this guy is amazing and another flyer who gets up and down the pitch with pace all game. Maicon on the right and Cissokho on the left would make me a very happy man.

I'd like to see Bridge carry on playing like he did on Saturday, which solves the left back problem - maybe Capello could come and watch us every week, because he was a class apart.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:53 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

I'd like to see Bridge carry on playing like he did on Saturday, which solves the left back problem - maybe Capello could come and watch us every week, because he was a class apart.

Totally agree, Bridge was outstanding in that game, and thats great if he keeps that form up, but if he doesnt or is injured our cover on the left is not the strongest. I think we need another option at left back as well as Bridge.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

Totally agree, Bridge was outstanding in that game, and thats great if he keeps that form up, but if he doesnt or is injured our cover on the left is not the strongest. I think we need another option at left back as well as Bridge.

Personally i'd be tempted to stick Lescott there if we needed cover. Its his natural position, and whilst he is not as mobile as the more attacking players, he would be rock solid defensively
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum