POLL - WILL WE FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

TOP FOUR?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes : 84

Re: POLL - WILL WE FINISH IN THE TOP FOUR?

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:06 pm

WOW the difference between city and liverpool fans is MASSIVE. On their forum they are all up for it and are confident that 4th place will be theirs. I suppose thats the difference in a winning and a losing mentality.

We as fans HAVE TO CHANGE along with the team.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby King Kev » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Why is there no 'Not Sure' option?
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Voted yes ,its going to be close up and down nip and tuck with all the drama that is CITY but we will take it by a nose .
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:19 pm

King Kev wrote:Why is there no 'Not Sure' option?

Yeah that option worked so well in the Mancini thread....

None of us are sure FFS!! What would you say at this point in time if your life depended on it mate?
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Wonderwall wrote:WOW the difference between city and liverpool fans is MASSIVE. On their forum they are all up for it and are confident that 4th place will be theirs. I suppose thats the difference in a winning and a losing mentality.

You said it mate. I had a feeling it was brimming under the surface, but I don't believe we are going to win any game anymore. Beating the dippers changes that completely IMO. So is it the fans spreading nerves to the players or vice versa?

Should the fans pretend to be confident and let the players feel that, or is it up to the team to instill some confidence in the fans?
Original Dub

Postby Somerset Blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:23 pm

YES.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby mr_nool » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

YES!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Wonderwall wrote:WOW the difference between city and liverpool fans is MASSIVE. On their forum they are all up for it and are confident that 4th place will be theirs. I suppose thats the difference in a winning and a losing mentality.

We do have to change, but people need to realise that hope and belief are two very very different things.

Liverpool have been here before time and again and have a knack of turning in stupendous performances to save their skin when needed - which is the worry for weekend. Because of their experience of being in this position and prevailing, they have a right to have a strong belief in their team and manager.

Unfortunately me believing we can finish 4th is hope and hope alone because ignoring all the issues about Mancini's ability, we have nothing to compare this to. We really, genuinely are in unknown territory now.

If we achieve 4th, and Mancini carries on with this style of football next year, this time next year, no doubt we will be more confident because we will be able to at least have some belief that the dross we are watching works. Thats when the winning mentality comes in, when we have actually achieved something, then we can work more on belief than hope.
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby King Kev » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Original Dub wrote:
King Kev wrote:Why is there no 'Not Sure' option?

Yeah that option worked so well in the Mancini thread....

None of us are sure FFS!! What would you say at this point in time if your life depended on it mate?
Ha ha, sorry I was just messing about, I have never understood the point in voting Not Sure!

I voted Yes.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Right now I don't give us a prayer but I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Lev Bronstein » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Voted yes. In MHO from where we are, not finishing fourth would be a major disappointment. Of course, injuries, suspensions, loss of form and crap refereeing at crucial moments can rob us.

Liverpool have had some good results of late but they aren't that great. Whilst they seem to have an easier set of fixtures than us, the converse is that we have the chance to take points from our rivals.

I think that any other team in any other league that was in our position would have fans that would be supremely confident of maintaining fourth place. I supposed we've all been so brainwashed about the inevitability of the top 4 always being the top 4 that we lack belief in our team's ability to do the business.

Mow this doesn't mean that I'm some sort of groupie for Roberto. Our recent performances have been poor, but then all sides have had bad periods this year and I don't think we've seen the last of some unlikely results.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby bluej » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:49 pm

johnpb78 wrote:

We do have to change, but people need to realise that hope and belief are two very very different things.

Liverpool have been here before time and again and have a knack of turning in stupendous performances to save their skin when needed - which is the worry for weekend. Because of their experience of being in this position and prevailing, they have a right to have a strong belief in their team and manager.

I agree with this.

Voted no as at the minute I don't believe that the way we are playing is going to pick us up enough points by the end of the season.

However I am basing this on the games we have played against 'lower' opposition, if we get positive results against the dippers and spuds then I believe we should have done enough to grab 4th.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 pm

I've gone for a definate 'Yes'! Although I don't expect it,I can see Mancio and the team grinding out wins and draws that will put us in a good postition come the final couple of games. It may not be too pretty, but once the team begin to play how he wants them to, then I can see it being a lot less infuriating; especially when we're getting points. My only proviso would be the Pompey situation.

COME ON CITY!!! BRING 'EM ON!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby trout man » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:59 pm

johnpb78 wrote:

Unfortunately me believing we can finish 4th is hope and hope alone because ignoring all the issues about Mancini's ability, we have nothing to compare this to. We really, genuinely are in unknown territory now.

If we achieve 4th, and Mancini carries on with this style of football next year, this time next year, no doubt we will be more confident because we will be able to at least have some belief that the dross we are watching works. Thats when the winning mentality comes in, when we have actually achieved something, then we can work more on belief than hope.

This says it all as far as I am concerned
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby Kladze » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:07 pm

We will get a nose bleed - 'situation normal'.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Kladze wrote:We will get a nose bleed - 'situation normal'.

I can live with that so long as we try bloody hard before falling short, and most importantly learn from the experience.

There will be plenty of nosebleeds over the next few years, we already had one in a cup semi-final, still to achieve, top 4, title challenge, cup finals, Europa League semi/final, Champions League qualifying/group/later rounds/final.

We got a hell of a lot to learn before our hope can change to belief
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Kladze » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:40 pm

johnpb78 wrote:

I can live with that so long as we try bloody hard before falling short, and most importantly learn from the experience.

There will be plenty of nosebleeds over the next few years, we already had one in a cup semi-final, still to achieve, top 4, title challenge, cup finals, Europa League semi/final, Champions League qualifying/group/later rounds/final.

I meant that it will be 'situation normal' for us as fans ... and that we shouldn't automatically hit the panic buttons - as we're used to it.

What will irk me though is if we fail having continued to play this brand of 'none-football' we've been seeing of late.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Mike J » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:03 pm

no
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby simon12 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Before we start I am a glass half full bloke and didn`t want an italian in charge of the team from day 1. I really want it to work with bobby as I did with MH but if a bloke with ALL his trophies is performing like MH did with no trophies with the same players it`s a NO from me and I hate saying it.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 pm

Kladze wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

I meant that it will be 'situation normal' for us as fans ... and that we shouldn't automatically hit the panic buttons - as we're used to it.

What will irk me though is if we fail having continued to play this brand of 'none-football' we've been seeing of late.

I think from the fans perspective we had a good shock (quite rightly) off the rags after a lot of people mouthing off before the 2nd leg. Hopefully this will have taught a lot of city fans some humility, and some perspective - however it seems to have sent a lot on here from reaching for the heavens to plumbing the depths!
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum