Just like old times.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Just like old times.

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:19 pm

john68 wrote:My die hard positivism under Hughes was because I saw for the 1st time in far too many years that we had the chance, with the resources available to rebuild every aspect of the club from bottom to top. Rip out all the old cupboards, replaster the ceilings and put in place the base to what could eventually become an Empire.
I saw it as a job that once started should be allowed to progress until that base was finished or at least reached a stage where he could be critically assessed without damage to our long term direction or goal.
I did not know whether hughes would be the man to finish the job and add the fancy decoration to it but I thought we would be foolish to have gone so far and then to change direction.

That opportunity has gone, so has Hughes and there is no point in going over old ground...I did so only at your request and to clarify my change.

We have to deal with the present and I see the Mancini era as a different opportunity to push on. But I regret that we are not doing so at present. I am still eternally optimistic. I still think we have one of the best squads in the league and I still think we are capable of much higher things this season. That probably fuels much of my frustration.
I just hope that Mancini and his "defend at all costs" is only temporary and we will soon see Mancini and his positive strategies tearing opponents apart.
I am not anti Mancini...I maybe see good things in city that he hasn't taken advantage of yet.

Nice post mate, nice post. Just as many have felt.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby john@staustell » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:56 am

As Mr Nool says let's put this to bed and support until the end of the season at least? Needless divisions, which will undoubtedly start to affect our points total with negativity.

It is faintly amusing though that the 2 polarities have reversed entirely. For example dire performances by Robinho, Jo and formerly Elano were all blamed on the manager, when it turns out after all they're just shite in England. A lost semi and some dire performances under Mancini have produced support from the Hughes-outers and the reverse from the Hughes loyalists.

The one hang-your-hat-on thing is that Mancini has an excellent record, and Serie A may have it's problems but it's certainly no walk in the park. I believe his style will take time to achieve both in training of players AND in getting the right ones (I dont think think Hughes quite got the defence he wanted, or midfield).

This is why I am prepared to give him time - certainly until the summer.

However something niggles in my mind that Hughes would've won the Carling Cup, as one-off games is his sort of line. On this I would question the owners' timings. But it could be that they are looking at a much bigger picture and are only really interested in the league position.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:29 pm

John,
I don't think the division on here or with city fans in general is as divided as it was. I haven't heard much in the way of "Mancini Out" and I think that most are still behind him despite how we are playing.
That may change however over the next three league games against Pool. Chelsea and Spurs....CRUNCH TIME methinks.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby btajim » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 pm

john68 wrote:John,
I don't think the division on here or with city fans in general is as divided as it was. I haven't heard much in the way of "Mancini Out" and I think that most are still behind him despite how we are playing.
That may change however over the next three league games against Pool. Chelsea and Spurs....CRUNCH TIME methinks.

Of course no-one is screaming "Bobbeh Manceh Out" at the top of their voice - but i'm presuming you've been reading the questions people have been asking about the boring, defensive Football? That doesn't particularly strike me as unanimous suport from "most" Blues.

Personally, I think the Cup replay at Stoke is just as important as the next 3 League Matches.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby john68 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Compared to the garbage that was chucked at Hughes in his early days, having as moan at Mancini for his depressing tactis is not on the same planet Jimbo.
I think he has still got the support of the vast majority of Blues...at least until the end of the season...(dependant on the results over the next few games).
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:45 pm

btajim wrote:

Of course no-one is screaming "Bobbeh Manceh Out" at the top of their voice - but i'm presuming you've been reading the questions people have been asking about the boring, defensive Football? That doesn't particularly strike me as unanimous suport from "most" Blues.

Personally, I think the Cup replay at Stoke is just as important as the next 3 League Matches.

Given that if we beat Stoke we face Chelsea away, surely no-one would be tempted to say "sod it lets keep our powder dry for a better day"? Would they?
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:48 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The bit I don't get is this " and we are playing "results football".

We aren't really are we. We are playing crap football which will probably get results against crap teams like Wolves,BBurn,Pompey, Bolton but it didnt did it against Everton , Stoke , Scum , Hull . Only the next few games if it carries on with the same football will we be able to tell if it's results football.

I don't understand this "result football" stuff either.

"Result football" would mean playing shit but winning. Not playing shit and drawing at home against Stoke or away against 10m Stoke and getting absolutely slaughtered against Everton and even outplayed by Hull.

Yeah, cause Stoke, Hull and Everton are the only games we've played under Mancini, right? Hull was horrendous but Goodison is no easy place to go as sides better than us have found out. Stoke is hard opposition for us for reasons obvious to anyone who understands football.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 pm

I think the amount of money/ media hype has lead some fans to have unrealistic expectations of managers.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:54 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I think the amount of money/ media hype has lead some fans to have unrealistic expectations of managers.

Nothing to do with the money mate, it's just the way we are.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Antti,
Let's get real here mate.
Everton....not only did we lose, we got played off the park. We weren't at the races at Goodison. Losing may be acceptable because Everton are a good side but the manner it happened was very poor.
Stoke are shite. They have the long ball tactic, the long ball and they get into your faces. If we have any thoughts of success, we should be able to deal with this. They are in their league position because other clubs did deal with it.
Hull too are not a good side and we never even gave it a decent go Mate...we failed to compete.

Sometimes results don't always tell the whole truth.
john68

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:01 pm

john68 wrote:Antti,
Everton....not only did we lose, we got played off the park. We weren't at the races at Goodison. Losing may be acceptable because Everton are a good side but the manner it happened was very poor.
Stoke are shite. They have the long ball tactic, the long ball and they get into your faces. If we have any thoughts of success, we should be able to deal with this. They are in their league position because other clubs did deal with it.
Hull too are not a good side and we never even gave it a decent go Mate...we failed to compete.

Those results definately told the truth mate, it's the ones against the likes of Bolton and Pompey that didn't!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bluez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Its definitely not as divided as it was, as far as I can see there is very little Mancini Out (lots of Mancini play better football). The main sign of the the old divide is those that wanted to give the last manager more time pointing out the hypocrisy of some of those who didn't, but now don't seem too concerned that we play 3 DM instead of the previous "clueless" tactic of 2, and our recent run of 2 draws against stoke and a loss against Hull in 4 games. But at least now pretty much everyone does agree we shoudl give the manager more time and that can only be a good thing.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I think the amount of money/ media hype has lead some fans to have unrealistic expectations of managers.

There's no way people would've wanted a manager out after 13 games 10 years ago.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:08 pm

john68 wrote:Antti,

Stoke are 11th. They finished 5 points and two places below us last season. They've beat Liverpool for example at home.

And do you think rags are screaming for Taggarts head? They were absolutely murdered at Goodison hour a go.

Hull was unacceptable though.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:13 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

There's no way people would've wanted a manager out after 13 games 10 years ago.

You're right mate, the Asa Hartford's, Phil Neal's, Stevie Coppell's and Frank Clark's of this world could never be replaced! Not forgetting the irreplaceable Alan Ball (god rest his soul)!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:16 pm

That post would hasve made more sense if you hadn't gone into Hans Christian Andersonn mode.
NOBODY IS CALLING FOR MANCINI'S HEAD....But you knew that and still posted it....So what does that have to do with it?...

Stoke are 11th because they are shit Antti...If other clubs hadn't dealt with their tactics, they would be higher. 11th is in the bottom half of the table....and if we are hoping to be successful, we should have been one of those clubs who have dealt with them.

Stop making excuses for Mancini. Nobody ids calling for his head...deal with the reality as it actually is.

You have been accused of double standards mate...your post was a good example of that.
john68

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:19 pm

john68 wrote:That post would hasve made more sense if you hadn't gone into Hans Christian Andersonn mode.
NOBODY IS CALLING FOR MANCINI'S HEAD....But you knew that and still posted it....So what does that have to do with it?...

Stoke are 11th because they are shit Antti...If other clubs hadn't dealt with their tactics, they would be higher. 11th is in the bottom half of the table....and if we are hoping to be successful, we should have been one of those clubs who have dealt with them.

Stop making excuses for Mancini. Nobody ids calling for his head...deal with the reality as it actually is.

You have been accused of double standards mate...your post was a good example of that.

Really? These two topics wouldn't agree with you.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28819&start=825

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=30450&p=102819&hilit=mancini+out#p102819

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Bluez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:21 pm

btajim wrote:

Does that mean you are not concerned at all about the way we are playing at the moment?
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

You're right mate, the Asa Hartford's, Phil Neal's, Stevie Coppell's and Frank Clark's of this world could never be replaced!

Think that if we dont achieve the success we all crave this year, that the 6 month clause will act as an escape valve to stop arguments getting too heated on here, in that the arguments now seem more along the lines of "why can't he just be a bit more adventurous", rather than an outright "I want this cunt out of my club" which was happening last year.

I think most just have a moan about the style of play, lack of invention, crap tactics, but we all know he is here at least until the summer and that he stands or falls by his performances

However it doesnt stop people having a right to have a whinge after a dire performance lacking spirit, tactics and entertainment, but some on the board need to realise that this is some people's way of letting off steam, rather than take it as a personal affront.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

You're right mate, the Asa Hartford's, Phil Neal's, Stevie Coppell's and Frank Clark's of this world could never be replaced! Not forgetting the irreplaceable Alan Ball (god rest his soul)!

I like how you've tried to be funny here, ignoring all context.

The last time City were this far up the table people wanted the management out. In a few seasons we went down to division two.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum