The Making of Jinky

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Making of Jinky

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Good read about the short history of our Jinky...

The making of Manchester City's Adam Johnson: How the skinny kid they feared was too small to make it became a flying winger at the richest club in the world

Adam Johnson has been an instant hit in the Barclays Premier League at Manchester City, having been the most expensive signing in the January transfer window.

But who is the ex-England Under 21 winger, who was signed from Middlesbrough for £7million? Sportsmail's COLIN YOUNG talks to the people who know him best.
Adam Johnson

Instant hit: Manchester City's Adam Johnson
Dave Johnson

Adam's father

He kicked a little ball round the house all day. His mum Sonia just let him get on with it. Mind you, there were no ornaments below shoulder height.

I'd also spend many, many hours out on the field, playing in goal. Adam loved tricky, speedy wingers like Ryan Giggs and David Ginola.

On school holidays, he would attend coaching courses run by Sunderland. He'd pick up 'best player' or 'player with the best attitude' awards. So we knew even then he could play.

He wanted to play 11-a-side football but there were no teams in Sunderland, so we took him to Cleveland Juniors in Middlesbrough.
George Blake

Cleveland Juniors chairman, Adam's former coach and brother of Burnley striker Robbie.

He was seven - and he was phenomenal. Like a young Giggs. He just ran with the ball for fun. Played with a smile on his face. He scored 50 to 60 goals a season and had this natural ability to keep the ball.

His dad Dave started helping me out and we won the league and cup double for a couple of seasons, plus about 20 cups. He scored a fantastic scissor kick to get us to the final of one tournament in York.

I run a free soccer academy every Saturday morning and I always tell the kids Adam Johnson played for me.
Schoolboy Adam Johnson meets Gary Lineker

Starstruck: Schoolboy Johnson meets Gary Lineker
Dave Johnson

He was scouted for Newcastle and we travelled to the academy two or three nights a week for a couple of years, then Middlesbrough scout Peter Kirtley invited us to a trial.

Adam was very small. His size did worry me. I knew you had to have something special like Juninho and Zola, but his technical ability really was never in doubt.
Ron Bone

Middlesbrough academy recruitment officer

The first time I saw him, I loved him. He was exciting. He was 10 and an old-school, natural winger.

He had some really tough years and found it very difficult coping physically. He would get very frustrated and I had to tell him to be patient. At 16, he suddenly started to grow.
Dave Parnaby

Middlesbrough academy director

He was a dot. He had all the traits but the only concern was his growth and development. Some go through puberty and adolescence at a young age, some don't become a fully grown specimen until they are 21 or 22.

Adam is still developing. It was not until he was 16 that he started to grow. Adam had pelvic issues and the muscles and bones were not growing at the same rate, but we were all patient and the medical staff get a pat on the back for getting him through it. Because he was small and skinny, he found Under 18 football very tough.
Adam Johnson skirts round Stoke's Rory Delap

Wing wizard: Stoke's Rory Delap is floored by the wide man's pace and skill

Adam's rise is 90 per cent down to him, but his parents have played a role too. They have a humbleness which is very commendable.

There have been occasions when we have had to give him a little telling off, just to keep him on the right track, nothing major. But after his move to City, Adam rang out of the blue to say thank you for helping him on his journey.
Gareth Southgate

Former Middlesbrough manager

We sent him on loan to Watford for a reason. We had 17 clubs inquiring about him. I thought Aidy Boothroyd would be the right person to help him develop.

The difficulty was he did so well people started asking: 'Why are we letting a player out on loan when he could be helping us?', but he wasn't quite able to have the same impact in the Premier League at that age.
A young Adam Johnson meets Emlyn Hughes

Reach for the stars: A young Johnson (in blue and white Manchester United top) meets Emlyn Hughes

Aidy Boothroyd

Former Watford manager (now manager of Colchester)

He was great. We had him only three months, but he scored five and got five assists. Although we reached the play-offs, I have absolutely no doubt that we would have gone up automatically if he had stayed. But Gareth wanted him back.

I can remember exactly where I was when the phone went and Gareth's name flashed up. I knew he would want to take Adam back. I was tempted to ignore the call and change my number immediately!

He was great to work with and we tried to develop his game and worked on his weaker right foot. Players away from home learn about life living on their own, and simple things like eating properly and sleeping normally.

He has a fantastic family. They're working class, they've followed him everywhere, including his young sister, Faye. He looks like a superstar now but the lads used to give him stick because he looked like he should have been served with an ASBO.

But he earned their respect immediately because he could do things they couldn't. He has that little bit of X-factor.

Gareth Southgate

Adam made his Middlesbrough debut in the UEFA Cup in Lisbon and he came on in Stuttgart the season we reached the final. I remember that because Steve McClaren was going nuts because he was just picking the ball up and running with it and Steve was screaming at him to track back.

He has the ability to excite supporters and there is so much more to come. Physically he is still growing and the end product will continue to improve. And he still needs to work on his final ball.

Dave Johnson

We spoke to Gareth and Steve Gibson last summer and they always said if a big club came in they would not stand in his way. They kept asking Adam to sign a new contract, and the offers were very good, but we all felt it was right to wait.

Gordon Strachan was equally supportive and honest with us from day one. When Manchester City came in with their offer, Gordon called Adam into his office, told him and just said: 'Go home. Let me sort it for you.'

Gareth Southgate

I am not surprised he started so well at City because he has had a good season at Middlesbrough and he will feel great about himself. A club like Manchester City have come for him now, rather than wait until the end of the season, they've paid good money and said they really want him.

It is a fantastic return for a graduate and Middlesbrough can re-invest in areas that need strengthening.

Dave Johnson

It was tough for Adam around Christmas when his mum was taken ill with meningitis. She'd been in bed for weeks with flu symptoms but she really wanted to go to the North East Football Writers' dinner in Durham because Adam had won Young Player of the Year.

On the way home she said she had a hell of a headache, she took some pain-killers and went to bed. I found her unconscious on the floor in the morning. It was touch and go for a while and she was in hospital for nearly three weeks, and Gordon was good enough to give him two weeks off.

Sonia didn't like missing the games. We've missed very few over the years. We went to the UEFA Cup final and the Under 21 Championship in Sweden.

Best goal? England Under 21s against Ecuador, he lobbed the ball over two players and into the top corner.

We speak every day and he's loving it. He will never change. He's from a colliery background. He knows where he has come from and what it's taken to get where he is now.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0g1G8hL7y
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Re: The Making of Jinky

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm

Cheers, very good read that. I hope he becomes a star at City.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby aaron bond » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Been impressed with Johnson in all of his appearances for us so far. I think he has a bright blue future ahead of him.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:44 am

Good read thanks mate.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby M147WN » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:45 am

I hate that "Jinky" name can we not call him something else?? AJ?? Adam??
Jinky sounds like a fuckin pet hampster!!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby CitizenYank » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:13 am

Great for us to have a possible Star-in-the Making and English international:
but I have to admit:

Jinky????
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby Paul68 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:37 am

Shades of scooby doo
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby Exiled » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:24 am

It seems that the media see him as a star for tomorrow. That would put City in a favourable light for once.

I think 'Jinky' is a shit name. This is full of ripe cheese but I prefer 'Magic'. It works for me.

Come on Magic, show us yer class!!!
Exiled
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:34 am

M147WN wrote:I hate that "Jinky" name can we not call him something else?? AJ?? Adam??
Jinky sounds like a fuckin pet hampster!!

How was he stuck with this nickname. Who started it.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Dubciteh » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:17 am

Jinkys a good name.

Hope the vultures dont see the united jersey or could spell the end for him :P
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:17 pm

jimmygrimble2 wrote:Shades of scooby doo

i will go with scooby doo perfect name for AJ

what are the words to the theme tune.. anyone remember?

found em.

scooby dooby doo where are u
we've got some work to do now
scooby dooby doo we need some help from u now
come on scooby doo i see u
pretending you've got a sliver
you're not foolin' me 'cause i can see
the way u shake and shiver

u know we got a mystery to solve
so scooby doo get ready for your act
don't hold back 'cause scooby doo
when u come thru you're gonna have your self
a scooby snack that's a fact

scooby dooby doo here are you
you're ready and you're willin' [scooby]
if we can count on you [beee]scooby doo
i know we'll catch tha villain

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_C2HJvtRDY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0_C2HJvtRDY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Last edited by brite blu sky on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Dubciteh wrote:Jinkys a good name.

Hope the vultures dont see the U***d jersey or could spell the end for him :P

Of course its a good nickname, because it hints at his style of play...

Anyway, there was fuck all wrong with "kinky" so there's fuck all wrong with Jinky.
Original Dub

Postby avoidconfusion » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Can anyone tell me how he was the "most expensive signing in the January transfer window" when United paid 10-11m for that kid from Fulham?
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Jinky is a bad name, but Kinky was good???
I think it was the Boro fans who gave him the name btw.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Anyway, there was fuck all wrong with "kinky" so there's fuck all wrong with Jinky.

You cheeky slaaaaag! Got in there before me ;)
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:00 pm

MaseCTID wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

You cheeky slaaaaag! Got in there before me ;)

Hard luck mate
Original Dub

Return to The Maine Football forum