The Sun just won't stop

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Sun just won't stop

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:how are they "tired" for games , sombody asked? First question for me is are they tired for games? Who says they are? I just don't believe that at all.There is no way at all that they are overtraining unless lots goes on behind the scenes.

I raised it as the bit in the Sun article seemed to be a direct contradiction to what you were saying, and I choose to believe your views than what could simply be troublemaking. From what you have said in your reports it seems that there is no danger of the players being overworked, especially when we have your contrasts from the Hughes regime where the players were subject to a much more intensive sessions.

However if you were playing devils advocate, I suppose you could legitimately ask the question if training is too light is it affecting stamina. I know some people have definately mentioned whispers of Sven style training. We definately staggered over the line in the Stoke league game, but I think that was more a symptom of chasing shadows for 90 minutes rather than symptomatic of unfit players.
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:45 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
gaudy wrote:come on folks,this comin from the same paper that john o shea was off to barca.
bullshit of the highest order

Even that wasnt their story, it was copied from "sport" in Spain by all accounts

I have no doubt that the club will step in if untruths are being reported, as has been done before.

Maybe i'm naive, but if I knew that a company was going to sue me every time I stepped out of line, I would be careful only to print what I can back up.

Interesting point about the "length" of training when Doug had consistently said it appeared much lighter than under Hughes, so how are they "tired" for games. See Ted, I can find fault in the papers.

Actually that is NOT the way tabloids work. They got army of lawyers for the simple fact that they will be sued every now and then. But even if the ruling is against them they will get 10k fine and have to print apologizy. So what? They would've sold maybe another 20k papers because of that and always end up in positive in the end.

Until they start giving them hard enough fines and/or people stop buying tabloids to read rumours, nothing will ever change.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm

The ONLY way to silence negative press is with positive performances.

Let the cunts print what they want, but if we have an excellent performance tomorrow and come away with the 3 points, these stories disappear like a fart in the wind.

If we perform negatively again, it won't be because of reports like this, it will be because that is the way we are playing at the minute. We are in bad form at the minute, make no bones about it and when that happens a team it leaves the press wide open to speculate as to why that is.

We have to play our way out of this bad form tomorrow and the rest will fall into place, mark my words.
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:how are they "tired" for games , sombody asked? First question for me is are they tired for games? Who says they are? I just don't believe that at all.There is no way at all that they are overtraining unless lots goes on behind the scenes.

I raised it as the bit in the Sun article seemed to be a direct contradiction to what you were saying, and I choose to believe your views than what could simply be troublemaking. From what you have said in your reports it seems that there is no danger of the players being overworked, especially when we have your contrasts from the Hughes regime where the players were subject to a much more intensive sessions.

However if you were playing devils advocate, I suppose you could legitimately ask the question if training is too light is it affecting stamina. I know some people have definately mentioned whispers of Sven style training. We definately staggered over the line in the Stoke league game, but I think that was more a symptom of chasing shadows for 90 minutes rather than symptomatic of unfit players.

IF there is a tiredness then yes it could be more likely a result not enough work to build up stamina. I just don't buy it though. The key fitness work is done earlier in the season and Carminati did say how impressed he was with the teams fitness once he had some time to assess them. From there it's all about keeping it ticking over and with regular games it just isnt necessary to have the same amount of heavy training and intensity as before.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum