Hats off to Everton

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hats off to Everton

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:45 pm

i used to avoid watching the Toffees at al costs, but recently i have seen them play Arse, Chelsea, Us and now the rags.

and i have to say in all honesty i am well impressed by them. Today v rags they pretty much played like they did against us ( only the rags gave them a lot more of a game than us ). What seems really key to the way they play apart form the sheer hard work of challenging everything and closing down the space, is that they play with a relative calmness about them that starts at the back. Many many times today the RB or LB or some DM used their skill on the ball to calmly win challenges and then move a couple of yards forward and leave the oppo player behind. Virtually no just hoofin it out of the danger area.

For me this is exactly what we are lacking at present, and it is frustrating that our players have the skill to play much more composed than they are doing. While great teamwork is required to get somewhere on the pitch, it is first and foremost about players gaining space. What they are clearly doing at Everton is having individual players taking responsibility to initially create a momentum and that extra half a yard for themselves by outplaying their man. The fact that they have the confidence in themselves and trust in each other do that against good oppo is impressive.

Simply put as individuals they win the ball and move forward straight away opening up space.

this is a key difference to the way i have seen our players go about their business recently
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Re: Hats off to Everton

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:51 pm

I am happy that they won today but I'm concerned that they are having one hell of a surge that could see them joining the top 4 party and if I'm honest there in better form than any of the teams challenging. They are now 8th and closing!!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:53 pm

They've got a great midfield. Good to watch at times and like to get stuck in as well
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I am happy that they won today but I'm concerned that they are having one hell of a surge that could see them joining the top 4 party and if I'm honest there in better form than any of the teams challenging. They are now 8th and closing!!

Agree they are looking a very good TEAM but if they get to 4th place it would need a monumental failure from the teams above them.If they pass us it will be down to our failings more than anything and it just won't happen.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I am happy that they won today but I'm concerned that they are having one hell of a surge that could see them joining the top 4 party and if I'm honest there in better form than any of the teams challenging. They are now 8th and closing!!

This is my fear as well, with us, Spurs and Liverpool not really running away with 4th and none of us really setting the league on fire with are play recently Everton really could catch up and push for 4th with the form there in.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby brite blu sky » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:03 pm

agrre with the idea they are right now one of the best teams in the league.. and last year they had a solid run in, so they know how to do it. I think like Doug though, we would have to cock it up badly to let them challenge for 4th.

i started the thread though with the idea of making comparisons to the way they play and it is something we could learn from
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby btajim » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:07 pm

I've always respected what David Moyes is doing with Everton. There are situations where he's lost players like Rooney and Lescott yet he's got on with it and spent the money very wisely. Pienaar is a personal favorite of mine at the moment.

I don't wear a hat - but i'll nod along to the gesture.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Hats off to Birmingham.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Imagine where they'd be if we hadn't upset them with the Lescott episode? They might have stumbled a little during that period but they have certainly come on strong in the last couple of months to a point where they are only a couple of wins and a draw away from 4th.

I blame Hughes for this, Hats off to him!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:07 pm

I've been very critical of Moyes' hoof it & clog style over recent years but they played some decent football as well today, as they have in one or two of their games recentlly. They worked hard & showed an attacking attitude which was missing in our games v rags. They also passed it better than we've done since Christmas. In reality they could have scored more against the ineptitude of Brown & Evans. It shows what could & should have been when the useless liability Brown played against us, had we attacked.

I'm not worried about them catching us though, because if we drop that many points we're buggered anyway so it won't matter.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:39 pm

Done well considering they were awful for months and everyone saying its time for Moyes to go but they were poor against a 10 man Liverpool which in my opinion they bottled. They start getting close to the 4th spot towards the end of the season and they will go the same way as the other teams currently battling it out for 4th and start funking it. As always the team that will win through is the team that is toughest mentally. Villa bottled it last year and Spurs bottled it under Jol and are currently doing so under 'arry. Liverpool are playing like dogshite and getting in enough results to get by with us pretty much the same. Whatever happens it ain't going to be pretty.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:41 pm

brite blu sky wrote:i used to avoid watching the Toffees at al costs, but recently i have seen them play Arse, Chelsea, Us and now the rags.

and i have to say in all honesty i am well impressed by them. Today v rags they pretty much played like they did against us ( only the rags gave them a lot more of a game than us ). What seems really key to the way they play apart form the sheer hard work of challenging everything and closing down the space, is that they play with a relative calmness about them that starts at the back. Many many times today the RB or LB or some DM used their skill on the ball to calmly win challenges and then move a couple of yards forward and leave the oppo player behind. Virtually no just hoofin it out of the danger area.

For me this is exactly what we are lacking at present, and it is frustrating that our players have the skill to play much more composed than they are doing. While great teamwork is required to get somewhere on the pitch, it is first and foremost about players gaining space. What they are clearly doing at Everton is having individual players taking responsibility to initially create a momentum and that extra half a yard for themselves by outplaying their man. The fact that they have the confidence in themselves and trust in each other do that against good oppo is impressive.

Simply put as individuals they win the ball and move forward straight away opening up space.

this is a key difference to the way i have seen our players go about their business recently

great post this. couldn't agree more.
one of my most hated teams now though. i hope we stuff them at our place.
glad to see fellaini will be out.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Played excellently today and are in a great run of form.

Would love to see us putting in a big bid for Rodwell in the summer. He's going to be some player.
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby King Kev » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 pm

I really wish we had played our home game against them at the start of the season when they were shit. The more I see of them the more I think it will be a tough game when we eventually play them.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:13 pm

How Everton are different to other teams in the PL is that they have no fear.
United are shit really. worst side they've had that i can remember, but its fear that wins them games. teams are shit scared of them, including us.
They've got the fucking eye of the tiger man, and we fucking need it too.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:How Everton are different to other teams in the PL is that they have no fear...

...unless they are playing Liverpool

...or playing Chelsea in the FA Cup final and go 1-0 in the first few minutes and then sit back waiting to get beat

Its easier playing with no fear when there is f**k all riding on the outcome. I'm a f**king master at Texas hold em when I'm using fake money. Real money and I'm a pussy.

The trick is to get a mindset where you can play without fear when everything is riding on the outcome. Then you have Champions.
BobKowalski

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:How Everton are different to other teams in the PL is that they have no fear.
U***d are shit really. worst side they've had that i can remember, but its fear that wins them games. teams are shit scared of them, including us.

They usually are shit scared of the rags though & usually surrender, but today they showed what can be done if you go after the fuckers rather than fearing them.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby 9secondlegend » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:How Everton are different to other teams in the PL is that they have no fear.
U***d are shit really. worst side they've had that i can remember, but its fear that wins them games. teams are shit scared of them, including us.

said it for ages mate
100% agree
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby s1ty m » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Not doffing me cap to them. I have a pathological hatred for scousrrs and that pile of shit top the lot.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby blootoof » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:49 pm

s1ty m wrote:Not doffing me cap to them. I have a pathological hatred for scousrrs and that pile of shit top the lot.

^^THIS^^

Scruffy bunch of deluded scouse cunts. I hope that back garden den of theirs collapses on the lot of them one match(hopefully against Spurs)killin the lot.

Moyes escapes but a plank of flyin wood from that shit hole POPS both his eyeballs makin him run in front of an ambulance carrying a lucky scouser .....claret, fire and metal everywhere. They both die.

the end
blootoof
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum