There for the taking.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

There for the taking.

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:57 pm

I thought liverpool were shit and we dominated large parts of the game. At the moment we look like a team full of total strangers and im sick of players stopping or standing on the line (ESPECIALLY ADE) when someone is trying to sprint and break and has FUCK ALL options.

Why did mancio bring ibrahim on by the way? Fair play hes a kid and hasnt really played but I thought he was truly shocking. We dont have many options on the bench but I might have chucked Santa on.

Though Barry had a good second half and bellamy was pretty rusty with some bad touches.

If we had played a better team I would be alot happier as I dont really see where our goals will come from. Villa didnt deserve a point first half then they fucking go on and win 5-0. All the domination and I bet we didnt get more than one shot on target??
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Re: There for the taking.

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Cant we go back to the 4-3-3 that Ade worked in and get tevez back from argie fucking pronto.

With the CB pairing I suggested since November I think we'd be alot more solid.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Nick wrote:I thought liverpool were shit and we dominated large parts of the game. At the moment we look like a team full of total strangers and im sick of players stopping or standing on the line (ESPECIALLY ADE) when someone is trying to sprint and break and has FUCK ALL options.

Why did mancio bring ibrahim on by the way? Fair play hes a kid and hasnt really played but I thought he was truly shocking. We dont have many options on the bench but I might have chucked Santa on.

Though Barry had a good second half and bellamy was pretty rusty with some bad touches.

If we had played a better team I would be alot happier as I dont really see where our goals will come from. Villa didnt deserve a point first half then they fucking go on and win 5-0. All the domination and I bet we didnt get more than one shot on target??

How do you work that out? They were 1-0 down after ten minutes last I saw. I saw the goal.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Nick wrote:I thought liverpool were shit and we dominated large parts of the game. At the moment we look like a team full of total strangers and im sick of players stopping or standing on the line (ESPECIALLY ADE) when someone is trying to sprint and break and has FUCK ALL options.

How do you work that out? They were 1-0 down after ten minutes last I saw. I saw the goal.

You know what I mean! Burnley deserved the 1-0 lead then Villa fluked a deflected equaliser.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Nick wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

You know what I mean! Burnley deserved the 1-0 lead then Villa fluked a deflected equaliser.

No, I haven't seen the result so I don't know what you mean. For the second time, THE LAST I SAW it was 1-0 to Burnley. What score did it finish?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:12 pm

It finished 5-2 to Villa, so lord only know what the original purpose of the post was seeing as how it was the Mickey's we were playing and not Burnley???
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:12 pm

5-2 I think to villa. I turned it off when it was 1-1. I knew burnley wouldnt even get a point as soon as villa fluked their goal. Unlucky on villa and I wish we'd get some luck like that.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby david yearsley » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:15 pm

I feel 4th is slipping away - Tevez´s loss has cost us dear - fuclin bad luck I´m afraid - Spuds is a MUST win game if we´re to stay in it
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Nah I don't think we have a bad run of matches, take away the fact that Spuds normally dip towards the end of the season and Harry might have to spend a bit of time slopping out and then you have Villa who will be at Cup Final and whatever the result they'll stop playing - so we are still in with a good shout and f-k me it's better than counting how many points will see us safe!!
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:21 pm

The whole post was about our match? The last line just mentioned the villa match because it made our result even more a case of '2 points dropped'. Everyone going for fourth is shite at the moment, bar everton. Difference is the others seem to get alot more goals and points when there playing shit.

Get tevez back.

I agree with the comment about 200k maternity pay. Fair enough he must go back, but should he be getting paid for it and how long should he be there for? Other managers wouldnt have this 'come back when you want' approach that we've had with Robinho, Ade and now Tevez.
Nick
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:09 pm

No way were LPool just there for the taking. They came to stop us scoring and did a very good job limiting us to almost no attempts on goal. Granted they did it by fouling a lot and certanly the rat in midfield should have been sent off.Overall it's not a bad point against them BUT if we are serious about finishing 4th we have to up our game and have a more attacking approach.

Chelsea next followed by Spurs will be very tough games. A draw at Chelski would an excellent point and even against Spurs with the crap record we have but against teams who will attack us ( compared to LPool who didn't) we cannot just sit back and hope to scramble a goal.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Grob » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Liverpool were very strong at the back and in midfield. The referee let them get away with murder which didnt help but they had the measure of us.

Skrtel was excellent

The teams cancelled each other out. Theres not much else to say but that.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Grob wrote:Liverpool were very strong at the back and in midfield. The referee let them get away with murder which didnt help but they had the measure of us.

Skrtel was excellent

The teams cancelled each other out. Theres not much else to say but that.

An accurate assessment. On the bright side it shows how far we have come that a sky 4 side came and for large parts of the game, parked the bus.

The Spurs game won't be played for a while as they will beat Notlob on weds so a point at The Bridge is needed, but we do need to be more ambitious at times in games. Barry and De Jong spend the game sat on top of the back 4 which does not bode much of a threat when we have the ball.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Grob » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Barry and De Jong spend the game sat on top of the back 4 which does not bode much of a threat when we have the ball.

The central midfield area is our biggest achilles heel. We have no other options than Barry and De Jong. Ireland out of form, Johnson injured, Vieria a ?.

In my opinion we need a real box to boxer to play with Barry who can sit. That will balance the team. Barry and De Jong both want to play in the same areas. Barry has more to his game. De Jong is too limited to be a regular for me. He's a situational player.
Grob

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Grob wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:Barry and De Jong spend the game sat on top of the back 4 which does not bode much of a threat when we have the ball.

The central midfield area is our biggest achilles heel. We have no other options than Barry and De Jong. Ireland out of form, Johnson injured, Vieria a ?.

In my opinion we need a real box to boxer to play with Barry who can sit. That will balance the team. Barry and De Jong both want to play in the same areas. Barry has more to his game. De Jong is too limited to be a regular for me. He's a situational player.

On paper our biggest weakness is midfield attacking but in games our biggest weakness is our lack of ambition to attack with more than the 3 or 4 designated attackers.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Grob » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Grob wrote:

On paper our biggest weakness is midfield attacking but in games our biggest weakness is our lack of ambition to attack with more than the 3 or 4 designated attackers.

The only 2 central midfielders we have who can attack down the middle are Ireland and Johnson. Ones out of form, the other injured.

Kind of leaves us in a hole.

Elano?
Grob

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 pm

Grob wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Grob wrote:

The only 2 central midfielders we have who can attack down the middle are Ireland and Johnson. Ones out of form, the other injured.

Kind of leaves us in a hole.

Elano?

Elano would have been much better than Ireland today, (so would Robinho imo) but that says more about Ireland than it does Elano, he's a shadow of the player he was in every aspect of the game & isn't particularly working hard to fix it. We can't wait much longer for him to get his act together. SWP was also ineffective today & his reactions were alarmingly slow, often out thought by the Liverpool players both attacking & defending.

If two of your 4 attacking players contribute nothing, then it's hardly surprising you struggle to score. Replace those two with geriatric Giggs & Scholes today, even at 35 & I don't think our team would have been short of attacking threat.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby petrov » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Liverpool were very good at what they set out to do today, not there for the taking at all. I'm not too keen on our new style but truth be told after recent results and performances, the loss of Tevez and the rumours that fill the papers I'm happy enough with the result. It was a game we dear not lose and the same for Liverpool so lets call it a credible point and we didn't let the team most think will be our biggest rival for 4th gain on us.

We're 5th and only behind 4th on goal difference. We have a lead of 1 point and a game in hand over Liverpool (who will probably be our biggest threat) after 3/4 of the season. good enough for me at this moment in time. 4th place is still in our hands after today, not ideal but I'll take it.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby branny » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 pm

We were crying out for a CM that could pick a pass. Barry and Dejong did a decent job of breaking the play up but then we either gave it back to em or hit a long ball. Ade needs to stay more central if he;s up top on his own. He kept coming out wide today then giving it to SWP or Johnson and instead of busting a gut to get into the box just sauntered off, Barry and De Jong aren't gonna get forward which leaves Ireland on his own. Not surprised it finished goaless.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Sort of agree but I actually think Barry could play that role ok and Kompany probably and maybe Vieira but the point I am trying to make is that it's more the lack of overall team ambition that is hindering our attacking more than the missing link of a top playmaker. Don't get me wrong I would like one and I am not suggesting Kompany takes it on cos I like him at the back.

But why do we have to be so rigid with our play. Barry has attacking ability but he doesnt get released from his defensive role. The full backs love to attack but are largely held in check. Bilic found it very noticeable and was quite surprised and I think most of our fans are as well that we show such limited ambition going forward.

The standard response to this is usually about how bad the defence was and that we had to get that right and that's fair comment but only to a point.The target set for the season I believe was reset to 70 points which now means we have to get 24 from the next 12 games and I just wonder how many we are likely to get playing the kind of game we are at the moment. I believe the manager will know this very well and will/must make the necessary changes

Away Chelsea,Arse,Fulham,
Home Spurs,Man U,Villa,Brum

They are all games I doubt we can win unless we change the approach to the way we play.If we can get 15 from the others ( which is unlikely we need 9 from these 7 games. Sure as hell aint going to be easy.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum