There for the taking.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: There for the taking.

Postby petrov » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Away Chelsea,Arse,Fulham,
Home Spurs,Man U,Villa,Brum

They are all games I doubt we can win unless we change the approach to the way we play.If we can get 15 from the others ( which is unlikely we need 9 from these 7 games. Sure as hell aint going to be easy.

I actually think the way we play now will be a blessing against Arsenal, Villa/Rags and Spuds at home as they are teams who break fast and exploit the holes gaps in your defence especially on the wings. Villa etc.... will really struggle against us as all they really offer is pace, and on a tight congested pitched against 6 holding players and the low line we now play there will be nothing for them.

What I worry about is us breaking down Brum, Fulham etc... as against teams who won't attack us we could see alot of games like today that just fade away into these type of affairs.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Sort of agree but I actually think Barry could play that role ok and Kompany probably and maybe Vieira but the point I am trying to make is that it's more the lack of overall team ambition that is hindering our attacking more than the missing link of a top playmaker. Don't get me wrong I would like one and I am not suggesting Kompany takes it on cos I like him at the back.

But why do we have to be so rigid with our play. Barry has attacking ability but he doesnt get released from his defensive role. The full backs love to attack but are largely held in check. Bilic found it very noticeable and was quite surprised and I think most of our fans are as well that we show such limited ambition going forward.

The standard response to this is usually about how bad the defence was and that we had to get that right and that's fair comment but only to a point.The target set for the season I believe was reset to 70 points which now means we have to get 24 from the next 12 games and I just wonder how many we are likely to get playing the kind of game we are at the moment. I believe the manager will know this very well and will/must make the necessary changes

Away Chelsea,Arse,Fulham,

They are all games I doubt we can win unless we change the approach to the way we play.If we can get 15 from the others ( which is unlikely we need 9 from these 7 games. Sure as hell aint going to be easy.

I've been critical of Mancini's tactics but the way we lined up today, we had 4 attacking players & 2 overlapping fullbacks. That's not much different to Real Madrid. Looking at Real Madrid though, Johnson & Adebayor would have complimented their team but Replace Ronaldo with SWP & Kaka with Ireland as they played today & it's doubtful they'd finish in the La Liga top 4.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Sort of agree but I actually think Barry could play that role ok and Kompany probably and maybe Vieira but the point I am trying to make is that it's more the lack of overall team ambition that is hindering our attacking more than the missing link of a top playmaker. Don't get me wrong I would like one and I am not suggesting Kompany takes it on cos I like him at the back.

But why do we have to be so rigid with our play. Barry has attacking ability but he doesnt get released from his defensive role. The full backs love to attack but are largely held in check. Bilic found it very noticeable and was quite surprised and I think most of our fans are as well that we show such limited ambition going forward.

The standard response to this is usually about how bad the defence was and that we had to get that right and that's fair comment but only to a point.The target set for the season I believe was reset to 70 points which now means we have to get 24 from the next 12 games and I just wonder how many we are likely to get playing the kind of game we are at the moment. I believe the manager will know this very well and will/must make the necessary changes

I've been critical of Mancini's tactics but the way we lined up today, we had 4 attacking players & 2 overlapping fullbacks. That's not much different to Real Madrid. Looking at Real Madrid though, Johnson & Adebayor would have complimented their team but Replace Ronaldo with SWP & Kaka with Ireland as they played today & it's doubtful they'd finish in the La Liga top 4.

Did the overlapping full backs overlap? I certainly didn't see it.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:53 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Did the overlapping full backs overlap? I certainly didn't see it.

Yeah they had a go but Liverpool's hadn't moved for 90 mins so it wasn't that easy!
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

I've been critical of Mancini's tactics but the way we lined up today,
we had 4 attacking players
& 2 overlapping fullbacks. That's not much different to Real Madrid. Looking at Real Madrid though, Johnson & Adebayor would have complimented their team but Replace Ronaldo with SWP & Kaka with Ireland as they played today & it's doubtful they'd finish in the La Liga top 4.

Pretty much agree with a lot of what has been said on this post. But on yr point about 4 attacking players, what was the idea behind bringing on Ibrahim. I don't even know what's his best position is having seen him play once only against Boro. Is he an attacking mid or defensive mid. Can't blame the lad and he did his best in a very big match. I would have thought a better replacement for Stevie, would have been Bellamy and keeping SWP on the field. Or since we were playing with an attacking midfielder, why not bring on RSC to play behind Ade (or rotate with him). I think the introduction of Ibrahim was Mancini's only mistake yesterday and had it been played differently we might have just pinched a goal in the last 15 minutes.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

& 2 overlapping fullbacks. That's not much different to Real Madrid. Looking at Real Madrid though, Johnson & Adebayor would have complimented their team but Replace Ronaldo with SWP & Kaka with Ireland as they played today & it's doubtful they'd finish in the La Liga top 4.

Pretty much agree with a lot of what has been said on this post. But on yr point about 4 attacking players, what was the idea behind bringing on Ibrahim. I don't even know what's his best position is having seen him play once only against Boro. Is he an attacking mid or defensive mid. Can't blame the lad and he did his best in a very big match. I would have thought a better replacement for Stevie, would have been Bellamy and keeping SWP on the field. Or since we were playing with an attacking midfielder, why not bring on RSC to play behind Ade (or rotate with him). I think the introduction of Ibrahim was Mancini's only mistake yesterday and had it been played differently we might have just pinched a goal in the last 15 minutes.

Is it possible for a midfielder to be neither attacking or defensive? That's what I think Ibrahim's game is all about , sort of box to box type but without a real energy in his game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Renato_CTID » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 am

It's simply impossible playing football against squads with 4-6-0! Rafa, adelante, you're killing football with your shit tactics!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Dubaimancityfan wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Is it possible for a midfielder to be neither attacking or defensive? That's what I think Ibrahim's game is all about , sort of box to box type but without a real energy in his game.

I hope he's another Michael Johnson in the making but do you agree that his introduction was ill conceived and was "sort of" a turning point in the match.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum