Ireland & his shackles

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ireland & his shackles

Postby Goataldo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Hopefully he'll get a run at it and prove himself.
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby btajim » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 pm

I haven't seen any highlights of todays Match yet so I'm speaking with a great deal of assumption here. If Ireland was played in a preferred position on the pitch yet he didn't put any effort in then we have a serious problem. He was reasonable under Pearce, quiet under Sven, excellent under Hughes and now quiet under Mancini. Is he unable to motivate himself or deal with change?
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Lacks confidence?

Not been given license to 'play' much like he was today, and didn't exactly grasp the nettle. That pass he took in the box and then turned away from goal with, kinda put the stamp on his performance which is a shame, I hope he gets more chances to play in teh avanced role, he has such quality but needs his fragile ego massaging/managing carefully.

Dunno if it's the manager's fault, Ireland's fault, or our maybe our masseur.

How dare you even consider blaming the masseur! :) What struck me was the fact that he hardly ever through the game had the ball at his feet facing the opposition goal. To a degree that's going to happen when you are playing in an advanced role aginst a defensively set up team.But he seems to lack enough awareness of what is around him so that at times where he had a yard or two of space he didn't know and just laid the ball off.

Even when he is marked tight he needs to be able to retain possession with a quick move to the side. Knowing he has a man tight on him he shoudl be able to do that at least every so often but he doesnt seem to try it. Surely it's a confidence thing as if not then he lacks some of the ability which is essential to playing that role. I found it a worrying display today.

HE MAKES NO REAL EFFORT TO TACKLE ANYMORE AND THATS DOWN TO HIM AND HIM ALONE NO MATTER WHERE HE,S PLAYING.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:23 pm

And that miss, was pathetic and not offside.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Lacks confidence?

Not been given license to 'play' much like he was today, and didn't exactly grasp the nettle. That pass he took in the box and then turned away from goal with, kinda put the stamp on his performance which is a shame, I hope he gets more chances to play in teh avanced role, he has such quality but needs his fragile ego massaging/managing carefully.

Dunno if it's the manager's fault, Ireland's fault, or our maybe our masseur.

How dare you even consider blaming the masseur! :) What struck me was the fact that he hardly ever through the game had the ball at his feet facing the opposition goal. To a degree that's going to happen when you are playing in an advanced role aginst a defensively set up team.But he seems to lack enough awareness of what is around him so that at times where he had a yard or two of space he didn't know and just laid the ball off.

Even when he is marked tight he needs to be able to retain possession with a quick move to the side. Knowing he has a man tight on him he shoudl be able to do that at least every so often but he doesnt seem to try it. Surely it's a confidence thing as if not then he lacks some of the ability which is essential to playing that role. I found it a worrying display today.

HE MAKES NO REAL EFFORT TO TACKLE ANYMORE AND THATS DOWN TO HIM AND HIM ALONE NO MATTER WHERE HE,S PLAYING.

That's the biggest disappointment. I can put up with anybody having a lapse of form but I can't accept less than 100%. He's not tackling & he's not putting in the extra effort to get himself into the position to tackle. If he was doing that his total lack of effectiveness & willingness to want the ball to create an attacking threat wouldn't have been so bad but the two things combined were quite annoying to watch & everyone at the ground could see it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Somerset Blue » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:59 pm

Whilst not great, I honestly thought he played a little better today than he has in a while - got into some good positions but then did nothing with it. But I do miss the old Stevie, who used to break up so much of the opposition play, there seemed a time (previous seasons) when much of our productive play started (and sometimes finished) with him.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby dikdik » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:34 am

His best touches were one touches. When he dwelt on the ball he seemed to dither. I'm sure it's all a question of confidence.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:38 am

dikdik wrote:His best touches were one touches. When he dwelt on the ball he seemed to dither. I'm sure it's all a question of confidence.

I am convinced you're right. His actions scream out a lack of confidence.

One good game, maybe even one good pass to make a goal, and he'll be off again. It might even happen on Wednesday night.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:48 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
dikdik wrote:His best touches were one touches. When he dwelt on the ball he seemed to dither. I'm sure it's all a question of confidence.

One good game, maybe even one good pass to make a goal, and he'll be off again. It might even happen on Wednesday night.

Where's the workrate gone though? Last season he was all over the opposition like a rash when we lost the ball & one of the best at winning back posession, today he couldn't be arsed running 10 yards sometimes to close down an opposition player after he'd lost a 50/50 ball. That's not lack of confidence. Elano used to work harder than Stevie did today.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:19 am

What annoyed me was the whole throw your arms up in annoyance when the ball was still within 5 yards of him. Chase it FFS.

I also have a tough time accepting his slating of Hughes when ealrier this season and last he said how great it was working with Hughes as opposed to Sven. When Mancini is gone will he slate him as well?

I hate a suck up.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dingus McDouchey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

Where's the workrate gone though? Last season he was all over the opposition like a rash when we lost the ball & one of the best at winning back posession, today he couldn't be arsed running 10 yards sometimes to close down an opposition player after he'd lost a 50/50 ball. That's not lack of confidence. Elano used to work harder than Stevie did today.

i was noticing quite a few of our players, including superman, who were retreating to a position rather than chasing down opposition with the ball (who were close by). at first it irritated me, but i wondered if it's all part of the mancini tactics. we kept a cleen sheet after all.
i thought ireland was a big part of our best passages of play today. i hope he gets a good run in the side, as he is the player we are missing most at the moment, not tevez.
Berbatov wins golden boot, spends following season on the bench while his team loses title on goal difference. Well played, Fergie.
Dingus McDouchey
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 am

I was surprised and irritated by how little movement there was from him yesterday. I never thought I'd be laying the accusation of 'lazy' at his door, but that's how it looked in parts. I think Douglas is right when he talks of a lack of confidence, his first move with the ball now always seems to be a negative one and it does look like he just doesn't want it.
Interestingly, I met my scouse mate after the game and when I said this to him, he disagreed and reckoned he got in great positions only to be ignored.
Oh and I wish Ade would stop always running so wide, it seems compulsary that we pass the ball to him once he is a maximum of one yard from the touchline. Where exactly are we expecting him to go with it?
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 am

Dingus McDouchey wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

i was noticing quite a few of our players, including superman, who were retreating to a position rather than chasing down opposition with the ball (who were close by). at first it irritated me, but i wondered if it's all part of the mancini tactics. we kept a cleen sheet after all.
i thought ireland was a big part of our best passages of play today. i hope he gets a good run in the side, as he is the player we are missing most at the moment, not tevez.

I thought he couldn't be arsed running ten yards to get goalside of opponents half the time, got rid of the ball as soon as he could when in posession often without looking (sometimes dropping a stationary ball in front of people who were running full tilt thus almost tripping over it) consistantly ran into positions where it was impossible for him to recieve the ball when he could just drop off a few yards & make an angle to recieve a pass & avoided shooting whenever possible. I think he's a mental case.

I think Tevez is as good or better than him at his best but right now he's worth 2 of him.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:55 am

Dingus McDouchey wrote:i was noticing quite a few of our players, including superman, who were retreating to a position rather than chasing down opposition with the ball (who were close by). at first it irritated me, but i wondered if it's all part of the mancini tactics. we kept a cleen sheet after all.

This is exactly the case IMO. I posted last week that the players ar more concerned with their perceived position than they are about playing the game as it develops naturally.

Richards summed it up best against Stoke at home. The ball broke loose around the half way line. He was favourite to get it and start an attack but instead of running towards the ball he ran away from the ball and took up his normal right back position. De Jong was left to try and win the ball in midfield from a worse starting position. He didn't and Stoke went on an attack down the left wing. Richards won the ball down near the corner flag and booted it upfield.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:59 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
Dingus McDouchey wrote:i was noticing quite a few of our players, including superman, who were retreating to a position rather than chasing down opposition with the ball (who were close by). at first it irritated me, but i wondered if it's all part of the mancini tactics. we kept a cleen sheet after all.

This is exactly the case IMO. I posted last week that the players ar more concerned with their perceived position than they are about playing the game as it develops naturally.

Richards summed it up best against Stoke at home. The ball broke loose around the half way line. He was favourite to get it and start an attack but instead of running towards the ball he ran away from the ball and took up his normal right back position. De Jong was left to try and win the ball in midfield from a worse starting position. He didn't and Stoke went on an attack down the left wing. Richards won the ball down near the corner flag and booted it upfield.

Well if Ireland had a position to run into, he must have been told only to jog.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Renato_CTID » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am

Where are you gone, Superman? Please come back again, we need so much your great talent!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:34 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Dingus McDouchey wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

I thought he couldn't be arsed running ten yards to get goalside of opponents half the time, got rid of the ball as soon as he could when in posession often without looking (sometimes dropping a stationary ball in front of people who were running full tilt thus almost tripping over it) consistantly ran into positions where it was impossible for him to recieve the ball when he could just drop off a few yards & make an angle to recieve a pass & avoided shooting whenever possible. I think he's a mental case.

I think Tevez is as good or better than him at his best but right now he's worth 2 of him.

I have seen a few city players doing it over the course of this season so i'm not going to pick out Ireland alone. I just dont understand why a player would intentionally move away from the possibility of receiving the ball, unless they were badly out of form and badly lacking confidence.

I didnt notice Ireland do it yesterday but I have seen both Barry and De Jong do it all season long. Ireland played like most of our midfield have all year, with fear of the ball being a hot potato, only playing the 100% ball which usually means back to the player who just gave it to you, and even then frequently messing up the most simple of passes as though he was a bag of nerves.

No idea what the answer is, but we can't afford to let him have more games like this so he can "rediscover" his form, as Liverpool wisely distribution from the wings, so with a struggling Ireland supposed to link midfield to attack (which is exactly what we have been calling for, plaudits to Mancini on that) meant Ade was ploughing a very lonely furrow.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby smith10281980 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:04 pm

His finishing is very poor,not only on yesterday.
我愛曼城CTTY TILL I DIE

無論雨怎麼打,自由仍是會開花!
smith10281980
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Crossie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:34 pm

I agree he does get ignore alot,

I dont think Ade rates him, but i doubt Ireland rates Ade tbh. There was abit of hands in the air and "ffs-ing" going on between them.

They need to work together more, especially if Tevez isnt back for a while.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
I have seen a few city players doing it over the course of this season so i'm not going to pick out Ireland alone. I just dont understand why a player would intentionally move away from the possibility of receiving the ball, unless they were badly out of form and badly lacking confidence.

I didnt notice Ireland do it yesterday but I have seen both Barry and De Jong do it all season long. Ireland played like most of our midfield have all year, with fear of the ball being a hot potato, only playing the 100% ball which usually means back to the player who just gave it to you, and even then frequently messing up the most simple of passes as though he was a bag of nerves.

No idea what the answer is, but we can't afford to let him have more games like this so he can "rediscover" his form, as Liverpool wisely distribution from the wings, so with a struggling Ireland supposed to link midfield to attack (which is exactly what we have been calling for, plaudits to Mancini on that) meant Ade was ploughing a very lonely furrow.

Yeah I've seen Barry & DeJong do it too & also be negative for no reason on too many occasions. (Funny yesterday when the crowd as one shouted 'TURN!!' to DeJong after him making about 40 passes back to defenders with no Liverpool players near him. It worked so we did it again!)

BUT Ireland is in the team purely to make things happen. He needs to be on his toes, alert, wanting the ball, aware of his team mates' positions, looking to catch out the opposition & be one step ahead of them. A classic example of how hopelessly lacking he is in that department atm is when Ade chased down the Liverpool defence, the ball went to the keeper, Ade chased him, Ireland left the one Liverpool player who could rescue Reyna, open, because he hadn't seen it. Liverpool fucked up, Ade won the ball gave it Ireland to score, Ireland had no idea where the Liverpool defenders were because he's not alert so turned back. He'd even looked but he didn't see. Gerrard would have known & scored.

With his ability, he should be travelling round the pitch demanding the ball, like Scholes, Fabregas or Eyal Berkovic as well as running in behind. Everyone should be looking to pass to him all the time because he DEMANDS the ball. I still don't know which player is the 'real' Ireland. Hope it's not this one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum