Arsene Wenger

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Arsene Wenger

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:25 am

Personally I think he is too old.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 pm

Big fan of Wenger as I am of Mourinho so its all biscuits and gravy as far as I'm concerned. Trouble is at some point be it Mancini, Mourinho or whoever we are going to have to stick with someone or are we destined evermore to sticky polls asking 'if (fill in name) is the Man?' followed by endless back and forth over the fact he is too old/opinionated/negative/clueless/whatever and bemoaning the way we treated the last guy.

Eventually all of us are going to have to shut the fuck up and just get on with it.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm

BobKowalski wrote:Big fan of Wenger as I am of Mourinho so its all biscuits and gravy as far as I'm concerned. Trouble is at some point be it Mancini, Mourinho or whoever we are going to have to stick with someone or are we destined evermore to sticky polls asking 'if (fill in name) is the Man?' followed by endless back and forth over the fact he is too old/opinionated/negative/clueless/whatever and bemoaning the way we treated the last guy.

Eventually all of us are going to have to shut the fuck up and just get on with it.

Yep, you're dead right mate... and I reckon that'll be when we start playing even semi attractive football and start picking up the points on a regular basis.
Original Dub

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Original Dub wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:Big fan of Wenger as I am of Mourinho so its all biscuits and gravy as far as I'm concerned. Trouble is at some point be it Mancini, Mourinho or whoever we are going to have to stick with someone or are we destined evermore to sticky polls asking 'if (fill in name) is the Man?' followed by endless back and forth over the fact he is too old/opinionated/negative/clueless/whatever and bemoaning the way we treated the last guy.

Yep, you're dead right mate... and I reckon that'll be when we start playing even semi attractive football and start picking up the points on a regular basis.

I for one would be content enough with the second.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

That's because you don't have to spend a fortune to go and sit in the stadium.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I have sat through the tortuous football in recent months, and I dont know what was worse, knowing you would throw it away or knowing you would keep it tight and "maybe" eek out a 1.0 win.

I honestly don't know which one I would prefer, but I have been more frustrated whenever I have watched us on telly (maybe just cos we are away and we are even worse than at home) than I ever get in the ground recently.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:28 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I have sat through the tortuous football in recent months, and I dont know what was worse, knowing you would throw it away or knowing you would keep it tight and "maybe" eek out a 1.0 win.

I honestly don't know which one I would prefer, but I have been more frustrated whenever I have watched us on telly (maybe just cos we are away and we are even worse than at home) than I ever get in the ground recently.

probably because it's so long since we lost at home.
And I preferred it when we attacked and scored goals, but were frail (and sometimes unlucky) at the back. It's always seemed to me that being free-scoring - against basically everyone in the division - is a lot harder to accomplish than being a bunch of negative, men behind the ball, cloggers.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby Renato_CTID » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:28 pm

If Arsene Wenger is a winner, then I am the world champion of Farmville on Facebook!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I'd be more pissed if I paid a fortune, went to the stadium and watched my team attack but draw 3-3 with Burnley or 1-1 with Hull, than I would be watching my team beat Portsmouth and Bolton even if not playing very well, but maybe that's just me.
CityFanFromRome

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I'd be more pissed if I paid a fortune, went to the stadium and watched my team attack but draw 3-3 with Burnley or 1-1 with Hull, than I would be watching my team beat Portsmouth and Bolton even if not playing very well, but maybe that's just me.

I think the vast majority were very happy with probably half of our home performances this season under Hughes. Most have been happy with none under Mancini.

I dont think its a Hughes / Mancini argument, its a style of football argument, and having attacking football doesnt necessarily = letting goals in, as per Arsenal for the last decade. Maybe the best way of describing Wenger would be the very best in the world at the style of football Hughes was attempting to get us to play.

Unfortunately, there is not a foookin chance its gonna happen
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:03 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
I think the vast majority were very happy with probably half of our home performances this season under Hughes. Most have been happy with none under Mancini.

I dont think its a Hughes / Mancini argument, its a style of football argument, and having attacking football doesnt necessarily = letting goals in, as per Arsenal for the last decade. Maybe the best way of describing Wenger would be the very best in the world at the style of football Hughes was attempting to get us to play.

Unfortunately, there is not a foookin chance its gonna happen

So no liked the 2-0 against stoke or the 4-1 against Blackburn or the 2-1 against taggart's mob? For crying out loud give it a rest and change the f**king record
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:05 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Your argument - which presumably boils down to this "results football" we're apparently playing - would be more compelling if Portsmouth(20th) and Bolton(18th) weren't our only wins in the last 6 premiership games.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby Feed The Goat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't get the whole get jose thing, he would in my opinion spend shed loads of cash and have us playing like Bobby Manc does now. I recon we should stick with what we have cos i feel he can deliver what we want.

All he seems to be doing is starting at the back and trying to stop us leaking goals thus making it easier with our attacking options.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Your argument - which presumably boils down to this "results football" we're apparently playing - would be more compelling if Portsmouth(20th) and Bolton(18th) weren't our only wins in the last 6 premiership games.

It does, and I admit we aren't doing that really well because results haven't been that great. However, I think it should also be considered that:

1) We lost at Everton - Chelsea and United lost there too.
2) We lost at Hull - Chelsea barely scraped a draw there
3) We drew at Stoke (against ten men tough) - not many teams have won there, Liverpool didn't if I'm not mistaken
4) We drew Liverpool at home - We could have done better, for sure, but they are no League Two team, even with all the problems they have had this season.

So watching things in perspective, our results haven't been magnificent while playing "result football", but they haven't been disastrous either.

I'm not saying I'm happy as things are, but that I think once the team knows how to play this "results football" well, we won't probably be so pretty to watch but we will be picking up results, which at the end of the day is what allows teams to win trophies.
CityFanFromRome

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:40 pm

I thought this was a Wenger thread?

The truth is, if we got Wenger it would take him a while again to get us sorted and get his players in, possibly a season or 2. He is now 63 if I'm correct, I don't think he'll be wanting to start out on a new adventure now, do you?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 pm

Mourinho for me over Wenger, he has done the job at Chelsea in more or less the same cercumstances (admittedly Chelsea were already in the Champions League) and he went on and stormed to the league two seasons running aswell as a few League and F.A Cups in there.

The main thing Jose would bring however is a winning mentality, he is a great man manager and he get's close to his players, who in turn will die for the shirt for him. He accepts nothing below 100% and is a great Tactician. The perfect modern day Premier League manager in my book.

I can only see Roberto Mancini staying if we finish in the top 4, and sadly at the moment I don't see it happening. I fully believe we will be in for Jose and I also believe he will be very interested in coming here and building a legacy, much like he did at Chelsea.

I will however back what ever the Sheikh and the club feels is right, and if that is keeping Mancini for the long-term i'm fully behind the decision.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby dazby » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:58 am

I don't think either would be good fits. Ranieri would be perrrrrfect.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Mike J » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 pm

dazby wrote:I don't think either would be good fits. Ranieri would be perrrrrfect.

ranieri is a fucking useless manager. i would be absolutely gutted if we ever appointed him.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Mike J wrote:
dazby wrote:I don't think either would be good fits. Ranieri would be perrrrrfect.

ranieri is a fucking useless manager. i would be absolutely gutted if we ever appointed him.

Mind you, it's only Serie A, but he's managed to get Roma from the last to the second position, five points off Inter, since he came after the first two games, and since he came Roma have picked up 50 points, only one less than Mourinho's Inter. Not too shabby I'd say.
CityFanFromRome

Postby dazby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:45 am

Mike J wrote:

I think you are a very poor judge.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum