Greg Cunningham

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Greg Cunningham

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:32 pm

In the ireland squad for match against brazil, great for the lad, but hardly deserved hes about our 7th choice left back!!!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: Greg Cunningham

Postby Mike J » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:37 pm

lol, i thought he looked terrible when he came on against scunny.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Mike J wrote:lol, i thought he looked terrible when he came on against scunny.

Agree. Crazy that he should be capped for Ireland.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Good luck to him, hope the experience will be of benefit to him and he does himself justice training with the squad.

Been happening to United and Liverpool reserves/kids for years, quite a few of United's kids have become established international players before they get anywhere near the first team.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Unfair to judge him on one part game for City.Maybe early but a fantastic chance for him and for them to have a look at him.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby eastlandsblue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Unfair to judge him on one part game for City.Maybe early but a fantastic chance for him and for them to have a look at him.

I agree, both the club and the player will benifit from this
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 pm

agree especially as stephen ward playing week in week out for wolves at left back seems a strange one, obv bobby had a word with trappa. By the way mancini and trappa have similar philosophy on game both as bad as each other!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby ronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Great to see the lad, who's just turned 19, getting a go.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:48 am

Dubciteh wrote:

agree especially as stephen ward playing week in week out for wolves at left back seems a strange one, obv bobby had a word with trappa. By the way mancini and trappa have similar philosophy on game both as bad as each other!!!

WOW.
You just called one of the games best ever managers and most celebrated tacticians having shit philosophy on game.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 am

Dubciteh wrote:

WOW.
You just called one of the games best ever managers and most celebrated tacticians having shit philosophy on game.

they do though! watch an ireland game and you will see what i mean! Anyways maybe trapp had it in a different era but hes no spring chicken nowadays, his time as a great manager has passed hence the reason hes managing us. I wonder was he as boring when he was succesful? or is it down to the players we have?wouldnt mind knowing the answer to that!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

WOW.

they do though! watch an ireland game and you will see what i mean! Anyways maybe trapp had it in a different era but hes no spring chicken nowadays, his time as a great manager has passed hence the reason hes managing us. I wonder was he as boring when he was succesful? or is it down to the players we have?wouldnt mind knowing the answer to that!

MOST succesful sides are relatively booring to watch. Barcelona and Arsenal of yesteryear being the exceptions. The sides Brazil supporters rate best (82 for example) never won anything. Ditto Netherlands of 70's. Valencia have been one of the best sides to watch in Europe for past five years or so but have little to show for it, whereas when they weren't as attractive earlier in the decade they were winning titles.

Chelsea were booring under Mourinho, Rags were booring in late-90's, Arsenal of late 80's were REALLY booring. I was actually watching Scousepool "Team of the 80's" show on ESPN Classics the other day and even THEY were quite booring apart from Barnes and Beardsley.

Sad fact is that often succesfull sides are quite booring. Hence my earlier "results or stylish football" poll which I found quite interesting.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ronk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Dubciteh wrote:

In isolation, yes. But Trapp was trying to rebuild a squad after Staunton wrecked it. He went overboard a little in imposing shape and a rigid tactical vision, but at least he managed to get a coherent tactical plan and the team playing as, well, a team.

He got us out of a very difficult group against nominally better teams and by the end of the tournament we were starting to play some football at times. In the playoffs I thought we were decent and comfortable enough in the system to attempt a more adventurous style. I don't think we suffered in comparison to a France team that was loaded with superstars.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:26 pm

ronk wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

In isolation, yes. But Trapp was trying to rebuild a squad after Staunton wrecked it. He went overboard a little in imposing shape and a rigid tactical vision, but at least he managed to get a coherent tactical plan and the team playing as, well, a team.

He got us out of a very difficult group against nominally better teams and by the end of the tournament we were starting to play some football at times. In the playoffs I thought we were decent and comfortable enough in the system to attempt a more adventurous style. I don't think we suffered in comparison to a France team that was loaded with superstars.

Generally, I thought he did very well with the playing squad available to him.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ross.mcfc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Is he out and out Irish? Perhaps if there's an other option to him they are trying to cap him nice and early so he cant change his mind down the road. Similar thing happend to McGeady.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:05 pm

ross.mcfc wrote:Is he out and out Irish? Perhaps if there's an other option to him they are trying to cap him nice and early so he cant change his mind down the road. Similar thing happend to McGeady.

and mccarthy but thats anothers day work.

ronk wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

Not often i disagree with you, but although yes he got them playing as a team i think the group was there for the taking with a bit more belief we would of won it. I also hate Trap's stubborness when it comes to players and his tactical substitutions, he got very lucky in the campaign(which is fine, sven was lucky too) but we only started to play when the shackles were off in france(another team there for the taking in my opinion). He made us hard to beat but he also made it hard for us to win matches some dodgy draws and scrapey wins(gerogia at home dodgy peno, someone else away with whelans goal cant remember off my head). Trap basically did the basics with the team, its what i would of expected any decent manager to do(we havent had many of them), our shape and our hunger should be standard if a manager cant get them right well then he's no use.

NQDP- i agree in essence with what your saying but most of those teams that won boringly dominated matches, ireland like city arent dominating and are getting lucky 1nils or boring draws/defeats. Both managers set up their team not to lose 1st and hope to nick a goal, with the players city and ireland have(ireland in comaprison to the rest of the group) there is no need for such an approach, in my opinion of course.
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Return to The Maine Football forum