We'll play Stoke at their own game, says Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: We'll play Stoke at their own game, says Mancini

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Just a further note after seeing training today I do think the idea we will try to play the same game as Stoke is a nonsense. Maybe deliberately said maybe not. Even if we have a little extra height in the side it wouldnt mean going into lump the ball in the air mode.
Anyway no practice at all today with the ball in the air unless the hand ball warm up counts. And Micah was in goal for some of that so maybe that's the plan.

I can only assume what he said was slightly lost in translation, in that he means we beat Stoke at their own game in terms of matching them for the commitment and passion they have shown. Its the only sensible answer I can give to what he has said
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby avoidconfusion » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:And Micah was in goal for some of that so maybe that's the plan.

Sounds like a brilliant plan to me. Micah is a good header of the ball so whenever Stoke get a throw-in he will just run out and head it away unlike Given who stays rooted.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Alioune DVToure » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Mark (Blue Army)
Bringing you the most relevant stuff from Newsnow since 2008
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Original Dub wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
ant london wrote:Firstly his handling of the Tevez absence which has been, and continues to be, a fucking disgrace....and just the most incredibly stupid piece of man management I have seen in the last few years. Hughes got crucified for his "mis-management" of the sporadically productive and very disruptive Elano....and I don't see the same people murdering the scarfed spastic for this balls-up (nor whatever happened with Bellamy).

Then this....brilliant Roberto. Why don't we try a new game plan against the team in the league that is best at (and best suited to) that particular gameplan. You fucking clueless twat. Fuck off out of my club

Ah but with Hughes we knew it was all the players fault. We knew it because the papers said it was and they had to be shipped out pronto. Which they were. But with Mancini its not the players fault its all Mancini's fault becuase he wants them to...well I got a bit lost at this point because seemingly he wants them to train harder and longer and this is wrong although I thought we were wetting our pants that they would train less under Mancini but no we are now wetting our pants because they are training harder although Doug says they ain't but its more tactical which may be harder then running round like a headless chicken but what do I know.

But one thing is pretty clear what ever has happened or will happen its going to be Mancini's fault and if it ain't his fault then its Cookie's fault. Mancini's opening PC set the tone hostility wise and I can't see it changing anytime soon and it continues to be an interesting test of character. From day 1 with a long injury list, ACoN, Togo bus shootings, tougher (or not) training sessions, Player revolt, Bellers getting the hump, the hunt for Carlos, semi final heartache, playing kids in important matches, Robinho decamping to Brazil because Mancini wouldn't guarantee him a place, the club screwing up the Magri signing and a large section of fans ferevently wishing he would fuck off. Oh and on top of this he has to get a CL spot.

Kind of makes you nostalgic for the simpler days of Hughes and his taffia when Robinho played every match, the players had it easy, matchday was straightforward "Just attack boyo, just attack" and we brought in a set of brand new defenders every six months :)

Come back and preach when Mancini has beaten one decent team. And don't tell me we beat U***d because we were winning a half time in the tie.

Mancini has failed to beat one decent team. He has failed to entertain the fans and his man management of our two best players has been less than questionable.

He's beaten ManU

Actually I struggled on 'our two best players' bit then realised you meant Bellers (sorry Bellers)

And beating one decent team will not do Mancini any good. You'll just claim we got lucky and we won despite Mancini and it proves nothing and it wasn't very entertaining and his man management is shite anyway so yah boo sucks...

...or something like that
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:52 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
ant london wrote:Firstly his handling of the Tevez absence which has been, and continues to be, a fucking disgrace....and just the most incredibly stupid piece of man management I have seen in the last few years. Hughes got crucified for his "mis-management" of the sporadically productive and very disruptive Elano....and I don't see the same people murdering the scarfed spastic for this balls-up (nor whatever happened with Bellamy).

Then this....brilliant Roberto. Why don't we try a new game plan against the team in the league that is best at (and best suited to) that particular gameplan. You fucking clueless twat. Fuck off out of my club

Ah but with Hughes we knew it was all the players fault. We knew it because the papers said it was and they had to be shipped out pronto. Which they were. But with Mancini its not the players fault its all Mancini's fault becuase he wants them to...well I got a bit lost at this point because seemingly he wants them to train harder and longer and this is wrong although I thought we were wetting our pants that they would train less under Mancini but no we are now wetting our pants because they are training harder although Doug says they ain't but its more tactical which may be harder then running round like a headless chicken but what do I know.

But one thing is pretty clear what ever has happened or will happen its going to be Mancini's fault and if it ain't his fault then its Cookie's fault. Mancini's opening PC set the tone hostility wise and I can't see it changing anytime soon and it continues to be an interesting test of character. From day 1 with a long injury list, ACoN, Togo bus shootings, tougher (or not) training sessions, Player revolt, Bellers getting the hump, the hunt for Carlos, semi final heartache, playing kids in important matches, Robinho decamping to Brazil because Mancini wouldn't guarantee him a place, the club screwing up the Magri signing and a large section of fans ferevently wishing he would fuck off. Oh and on top of this he has to get a CL spot.

Kind of makes you nostalgic for the simpler days of Hughes and his taffia when Robinho played every match, the players had it easy, matchday was straightforward "Just attack boyo, just attack" and we brought in a set of brand new defenders every six months :)

The players were mint in attack but could not defend under Hughes (who was blamed for the defending), there now that appears to be a 180 degree shift to being able to defend but an unwillingness to attack.

If Hughes copped the flack for it being completely unable to master a fundamental element of the game, I can't blame anybody for sticking it to Mancini for the exact same reason, and personally would be inconsistent at best and holding double standards at worst if I did not do the same. I'm not at Ant's stage yet, but I can understand and sympathise with his frustrations.

Agreed. The manager carries the can for the teams failings whatever they are which is as it should be.
BobKowalski

Postby Original Dub » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:06 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

Come back and preach when Mancini has beaten one decent team. And don't tell me we beat U***d because we were winning a half time in the tie.

Mancini has failed to beat one decent team. He has failed to entertain the fans and his man management of our two best players has been less than questionable.

He's beaten ManU

Actually I struggled on 'our two best players' bit then realised you meant Bellers (sorry Bellers)

And beating one decent team will not do Mancini any good. You'll just claim we got lucky and we won despite Mancini and it proves nothing and it wasn't very entertaining and his man management is shite anyway so yah boo sucks...

If we'd beaten United we'd be in the final. We won the first leg and played right into their hands. The test was over two legs and he failed, so he hasn't beaten ONE decent opposition.

What are you shitting on about? I won't recognise the fact that when (IF!) we beat a decent side I'll say it wasn't anything to do with Mancini?? Don't be so fucking daft Bob. I'll acknowledge the fact the team are progressing when and if I see it and to see progression and not credit Mancini with any of it is fucking stupid and best left up to those who carry on like little girls when they have an agenda against the man, not the manager.

Kind of like you clearly had with the last guy. You credited NOTHING to the last manager, yet you say "so yah boo sucks" because I'm pointing out genuine concerns about the fact that not only has this guy not beaten any decent team we've played, we rarely even get a shot on goal against them. We could really really attack and were poor at defending before, now we can't attack at all and have improved slightly at the back.

REGRESSING from where I'm standing and I'll be glad to say I was wrong IF we beat any one of note.... actually, you said "Beating one decent team won't do Mancini any good".

Now that my friend is where you are clearly struggling, not with acknowledging Bellamy and Tevez as our two best players.

I'm beginning to think you're blind Bob. Probably because you were one of the most vocal when you wanted the last guy gone?
Original Dub

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Original Dub wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

He's beaten ManU

If we'd beaten U***d we'd be in the final. We won the first leg and played right into their hands. The test was over two legs and he failed, so he hasn't beaten ONE decent opposition.

What are you shitting on about? I won't recognise the fact that when (IF!) we beat a decent side I'll say it wasn't anything to do with Mancini?? Don't be so fucking daft Bob. I'll acknowledge the fact the team are progressing when and if I see it and to see progression and not credit Mancini with any of it is fucking stupid and best left up to those who carry on like little girls when they have an agenda against the man, not the manager.

Kind of like you clearly had with the last guy. You credited NOTHING to the last manager, yet you say "so yah boo sucks" because I'm pointing out genuine concerns about the fact that not only has this guy not beaten any decent team we've played, we rarely even get a shot on goal against them. We could really really attack and were poor at defending before, now we can't attack at all and have improved slightly at the back.

REGRESSING from where I'm standing and I'll be glad to say I was wrong IF we beat any one of note.... actually, you said "Beating one decent team won't do Mancini any good".

Now that my friend is where you are clearly struggling, not with acknowledging Bellamy and Tevez as our two best players.

I'm beginning to think you're blind Bob. Probably because you were one of the most vocal when you wanted the last guy gone?

Nah. I'm just yanking your chain :)

We do well and Mancini stays. Great. Mancini doesn't deliver we get Mourinho. Fantastic. Although I think Mourinho will either stay at Inter (lets face it he is loving the drama there) or go to Spain. But equally a swap of managers with Inter still tickles my fancy. Jose to us and Bobby back to his spirtual home having hopefully delivered on his short term brief with us.

Whats not to be happy about eh?
BobKowalski

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:43 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:And Micah was in goal for some of that so maybe that's the plan.

Sounds like a brilliant plan to me. Micah is a good header of the ball so whenever Stoke get a throw-in he will just run out and head it away unlike Given who stays rooted.

Plus he'll get the extra protection keepers always get so he will have a free run at a salmon leap and get a foul if he's challenged. This tactic of Richards in goal against Stoke is sheer genius!! :-D
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Mancini's PC is up on the OS and he is asked about the Stoke comment and Carlos, Bellers and the player rebellion. Mancini's English is improving rapidly and I found it more interesting than recent PC's. He does confirm that they will be playing a long ball aerial game against Stoke with Bellers and SWP as the target men.

Or not.
BobKowalski

Postby btajim » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

If we want to play Stoke at their Game then perhaps Bobbeh Manceh means that we'll stand up to them and not let them bully us off the ball. Nothing will frustrate them more than standing firm before playing some neat stuff on the counter attack.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby BobKowalski » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:40 pm

btajim wrote:If we want to play Stoke at their Game then perhaps Bobbeh Manceh means that we'll stand up to them and not let them bully us off the ball.

That essentially is it. If we want to win things we have to fight for the ball. Also talks about mentality and the need for players to think about the game and what they do during the game which is what I believe is hampering us at the moment because it is not 'instinctive' for the players. Its proving to be steep learning curve but Mancini believes that to win the PL and CL you need to use your head as much as anything else. The tactical side of it as Doug indicated is all pretty much new to the players and its going to be interesting to see who copes and who doesn't and whether Mancini can get it all to work in a short space of time.

The training sessions are later sometimes because the pitches are still frozen at 11am. Mancini does seem puzzled as to why something this obvious is getting so much publicity. As I said though its an interesting one especially as the questions are direct and Mancini does actually answer them and in better English than before. Its worth a listen for once.
BobKowalski

Postby btajim » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm

There's an air of apprehension about this game, IMHO. Perhaps it's the antidote to an arrogance that gulfed itself around some. I fully admit that I'm not looking to the FA Cup Semi Finals with Away trips to Stoke and Chelsea!
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:If we want to play Stoke at their Game then perhaps Bobbeh Manceh means that we'll stand up to them and not let them bully us off the ball.

That essentially is it. If we want to win things we have to fight for the ball. Also talks about mentality and the need for players to think about the game and what they do during the game which is what I believe is hampering us at the moment because it is not 'instinctive' for the players. Its proving to be steep learning curve but Mancini believes that to win the PL and CL you need to use your head as much as anything else. The tactical side of it as Doug indicated is all pretty much new to the players and its going to be interesting to see who copes and who doesn't and whether Mancini can get it all to work in a short space of time.

The training sessions are later sometimes because the pitches are still frozen at 11am. Mancini does seem puzzled as to why something this obvious is getting so much publicity. As I said though its an interesting one especially as the questions are direct and Mancini does actually answer them and in better English than before. Its worth a listen for once.

agree with these comments. also while mancicni's english is basic it is better to take his words as straight, rather than read too much into stuff like you might an english speaking manager.

btajim wrote:There's an air of apprehension about this game, IMHO. Perhaps it's the antidote to an arrogance that gulfed itself around some. I fully admit that I'm not looking to the FA Cup Semi Finals with Away trips to Stoke and Chelsea!

agree with this to a large extent as well... we have always had a tendency to shout our mouth off before we have actually done anything, and i think it had started to get worse. So a good antidote is defo what the doctor ordered.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum