Do you think the players

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Do you think the players

Postby gillie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:14 pm

Are feeling the pressure of the race for fourth more than we imagine?.I ask this as the simple things seem to be being made hard work for instance a simple 20 yard pass along the back line and it seems its panic stations so the player recieving the pass just hoofs it out of harms way.We dont seem to play calm possession football anymore which worries me.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Do you think the players

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:25 pm

I didn't think we looked panicky on Sunday. Just lacking in imagination.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BlueSince72 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:28 pm

I would like to think it was just a case of nerves but I fear it is something much more sinister...ie. a manager who trains them on defensive formations for 3 hours a day with no time spent at all on attacking play. The players seem to have no direction other than defensiveley and look shit scared of attacking.

I can't believe I am so down hearted at being 5th in the league with a chance of 4th place but the last few months has drained me of all postive expactations. Yesterday was better as some people heve mentioned but only marginally, we should have ripped a poor Liverpool side apart and done what we did to Chelsea but those days of high tempo attacking footy are gone....we do boring shit football now and I'm SICK of it already!!
BlueSince72
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 pm

BlueSince72 wrote:I would like to think it was just a case of nerves but I fear it is something much more sinister...ie. a manager who trains them on defensive formations for 3 hours a day with no time spent at all on attacking play. The players seem to have no direction other than defensiveley and look shit scared of attacking.

I can't believe I am so down hearted at being 5th in the league with a chance of 4th place but the last few months has drained me of all postive expactations. Yesterday was better as some people heve mentioned but only marginally, we should have ripped a poor Liverpool side apart and done what we did to Chelsea but those days of high tempo attacking footy are gone....we do boring shit football now and I'm SICK of it already!!

agree 100%. we dont seem to know what to do going forward
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Diggerman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 pm

BlueSince72 wrote:I would like to think it was just a case of nerves but I fear it is something much more sinister...ie. a manager who trains them on defensive formations for 3 hours a day with no time spent at all on attacking play. The players seem to have no direction other than defensiveley and look shit scared of attacking.

Reading Doug's reports, they don't get near 3 hours training a week some weeks, let alone per day!
Diggerman

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:37 pm

The latest Doug training reports seem to contradict you on this, there has been more focus on the attacking play since the Stoke game, but maybe it will take a bit before this more attacking training produces something during games...
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby gillie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:

The latest Doug training reports seem to contradict you on this, there has been more focus on the attacking play since the Stoke game, but maybe it will take a bit before this more attacking training produces something during games...

But mate we were awesome as an attacking force earlier on but now the same players that had such a fluidity going forward seem to be running in treacle.I just dont get why they have become this way.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BobKowalski » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 pm

gillie wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

But mate we were awesome as an attacking force earlier on but now the same players that had such a fluidity going forward seem to be running in treacle.I just dont get why they have become this way.

Because for the umpteeth time when we are going forward with such fluidity the other team was smacking them into the back of our net for fun or did you think they sacked Hughes just for a f**king laugh?
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby BlueSince72 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:09 pm

What is so frustrating for me and I'm sure all blues are the same is why why why can't we hit a happy medium between Hughes's gung ho attacking style and Mancini's ultra defensive....surely a mix of the two would be just the ticket...BUT IT AIN'T WORKIN!!

I personally would rather watch the Hughes style entertaining stuff and leak a few goals than the shite that's on offer at the moment!!
BlueSince72

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:28 pm

It is all about balance. When we attack now we certainly don't do it in numbers so if the opposition are still organised it might take something special to get through whether a team move or a piece of individual skill. Recently that hasnt been happening. When we move forward our passing options are severely limited and we end up going slow slow and usually nothing happens.

Seems to me we need to attack Stoke fast and in numbers and trust the defenders to deal with their counter attacks. They don't often score from open play and if it does go for a corner or throw in we have at least 30 seconds before it's taken while they dry the ball :)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby paulmclaren » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 am

Diggerman wrote:

Reading Doug's reports, they don't get near 3 hours training a week some weeks, let alone per day!

Yeah.
Footballers don't half earn their money don't they :s
paulmclaren
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city f.c
My favourite player is: Carlos Tevez

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 am

gillie wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

I think it has to do with the focus Mancini has put on steadying the defence since he came. Focusing on that, now the players on the pitch are more careful (or should be) when then opposition has the ball, but when we have it, there's a nagging little voice in their minds saying "watch out and not get too out of position, otherwise if we lose possession we could be in trouble". It's a matter of balancing this with some flair when going forward, so I'm sure with a bit of time we will be seeing more flowing football once more, maybe not at the same level than before but definitely better than now.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:12 am

BobKowalski wrote:
gillie wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

Because for the umpteeth time when we are going forward with such fluidity the other team was smacking them into the back of our net for fun or did you think they sacked Hughes just for a f**king laugh?

You're spot on there mate. Just thinking that a team like Burnley can score 3 goals against us at COMS makes me cringe !
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:15 am

I think some fans are feeling the pressure.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Crossie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:23 am

I dont buy it, nearly all our players have won things, been there and done it all before.

Those who havent have plenty of influence around them to guide them through the next few months. The manger too, won plently of things as a player and a manager.

One game at a time, one pass at a time, no point thinking "oooh what if i fuck this pass up" because you will, just fucking pass it easy.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:28 am

Crossie wrote:I dont buy it, nearly all our players have won things, been there and done it all before.

Those who havent have plenty of influence around them to guide them through the next few months. The manger too, won plently of things as a player and a manager.

One game at a time, one pass at a time, no point thinking "oooh what if i fuck this pass up" because you will, just fucking pass it easy.

Absolutely spot on.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby dazby » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 am

The nerves were there for all to see on the weekend, from both teams.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby john@staustell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:02 am

paulmclaren wrote:
Diggerman wrote:

Yeah.
Footballers don't half earn their money don't they :s

Had to laugh on Sunday Supplement when the idiots degenerated into the normal City-slagging. Only 1 sensible one, the bald guy from the Observer i think. The others were assuming that Mancini was driving them too hard, making them train 2 or 3 times a day etc, leading to player revolts.

LOL, if only they knew!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum