East Manchester Investment

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: East Manchester Investment

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:57 pm

From what I've read and heard, you can only say that the Sheikh is a top bloke and has massive (I repeat MASSIVE) plans for Man City and the local community.

When he said he wanted to use us for PR, I don't think anybody thought it'd be this big! I'm pretty much gobsmacked.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Haz wrote:
Guy Debord wrote:Residents around COMS had this posted through their letterboxes on Thursday:

"The Club is proposing an exciting new development to the north of the stadium (near to the tennis centre).

We have recently submitted a planning application to Manchester City Council, regarding the use of Joe Mercer Way and the North Plaza of the Sportcity site. Our proposal for this area is a concept called City Street, which is designed to enhance visitors experience to football matches and other events at Sportcity by creating an area for food, retail and entertainment.

The development of City Street will ease congestion in the area surrounding the Stadium before and after games/events and in addition will create a number of jobs. Our aim is that City Street is open and fully functioning for the 2010/11 season.

Over the next few weeks you can see the outline proposal for City Street in the MCFC retail store at Sportcity, where you can review the plans. Should you have any specific enquiries pleas contact me on the details below.

Many thanks for your time,

Phoebe Marshall
Project Manager
Manchester City Football Club
Sportcity
Rowsley Street
M11 3FF

e:phoebe.marshall@mcfc.co.uk
t:0161 438 7699"

Blimey, they're gonna have to be quick, its only 5 months away.

I think this is a short term project, and going to be like the 'fan zones' a lot of English rugby union teams have, and are put up outside grounds used for Heineken Cup semis.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Scatman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Haz wrote:
Guy Debord wrote:Residents around COMS had this posted through their letterboxes on Thursday:

"The Club is proposing an exciting new development to the north of the stadium (near to the tennis centre).

We have recently submitted a planning application to Manchester City Council, regarding the use of Joe Mercer Way and the North Plaza of the Sportcity site. Our proposal for this area is a concept called City Street, which is designed to enhance visitors experience to football matches and other events at Sportcity by creating an area for food, retail and entertainment.

The development of City Street will ease congestion in the area surrounding the Stadium before and after games/events and in addition will create a number of jobs. Our aim is that City Street is open and fully functioning for the 2010/11 season.

Over the next few weeks you can see the outline proposal for City Street in the MCFC retail store at Sportcity, where you can review the plans. Should you have any specific enquiries pleas contact me on the details below.

Phoebe Marshall
Project Manager
Sportcity
Rowsley Street
M11 3FF

Have you seen how fast these people can build F1 racetracks?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby ronk » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Fantastic. Let's get some pictures of the plans up. I'd like to see some details.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby irblinx » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Scatman wrote:Have you seen how fast these people can build F1 racetracks?

Building something in Abu Dhabi is significantly different to building in the UK. Health and Safety requirements (and build quality expectations) here are far more stringent and would therefore add time over any project they build at home.

However it really does depend on exactly what they plan to build as to whether the timescales are realistic.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:16 am

john68 wrote:That would depend on whether the present foundations could safely take the extra weight of the extra building. If not, they would possibly have to build out and over as they have at the swamp.
Not a builder, so don't know any better.

Don't know either - but logical not - to build the foundations to support extra tier(s) would perhaps have been good with hindsight - but it costs a lot more money - that would not have been forthcoming from the Commonwealth Games planners - why would it?
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john@staustell » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:53 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Haz wrote:

Phoebe Marshall
Project Manager
Sportcity
Rowsley Street
M11 3FF

I think this is a short term project, and going to be like the 'fan zones' a lot of English rugby union teams have, and are put up outside grounds used for Heineken Cup semis.

I hope they have imagination on the 'food and retail outlets'. I have this horrible vision of a row of stands like the food concourses at Eastlands, with a Platt Lane cafe at the end, with all the horrible burgers that entails!!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby sandman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:56 am

john@staustell wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Haz wrote:

Phoebe Marshall
Project Manager
Sportcity
Rowsley Street
M11 3FF

I hope they have imagination on the 'food and retail outlets'. I have this horrible vision of a row of stands like the food concourses at Eastlands, with a Platt Lane cafe at the end, with all the horrible burgers that entails!!

I quite like the park outside the JJB / DW, I hope its more along the lines of that with Frankie & Bennys / Nandos etc...
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Guy Debord » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 am

Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 am

sandman wrote:
john@staustell wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
Haz wrote:

Phoebe Marshall
Project Manager
Sportcity
Rowsley Street
M11 3FF

I quite like the park outside the JJB / DW, I hope its more along the lines of that with Frankie & Bennys / Nandos etc...

What's wrong with fish & chips wrapped in newspaper? Or traditional football fayre like proper pies that are rock hard on the outside & give you 1st degree burns when you bite into them? Waggonwheels?

It says 'entertainment' too. If the council has anything to do with it, that'll be face painting & blokes who look like smack heads, juggling vegitables on unicycles etc.

Not like the good old days of hurdy gurdys & dancing bears.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ENIAM NAM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
What's wrong with fish & chips wrapped in newspaper? Or traditional football fayre like proper pies that are rock hard on the outside & give you 1st degree burns when you bite into them? Waggonwheels?

It says 'entertainment' too. If the council has anything to do with it, that'll be face painting & blokes who look like smack heads, juggling vegitables on unicycles etc.

Not like the good old days of hurdy gurdys & dancing bears.

Ha Ha....and sometimes still frozen in the middle!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby psut1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:24 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
john68 wrote:That would depend on whether the present foundations could safely take the extra weight of the extra building. If not, they would possibly have to build out and over as they have at the swamp.

Don't know either - but logical not - to build the foundations to support extra tier(s) would perhaps have been good with hindsight - but it costs a lot more money - that would not have been forthcoming from the Commonwealth Games planners - why would it?

A guy who frequents one of the other forums works for the company who designed/built the stadium, he said he has checked through the details of what was done and it was factored into the design so that an extra tier can be added. The same has been done at Hull.
I know via a personal friend that tenders were invited in confidence for the stadium extension back in Oct/Nov
"I scored after 19 minutes a "bluemoon" goal - David White picked it up, he saw me standing alone, he crossed and I hammered it home. The moon had turned gold"
(Niall Quinn the autobiography)
psut1
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Guy Debord » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:34 pm

psut1 wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:

A guy who frequents one of the other forums works for the company who designed/built the stadium, he said he has checked through the details of what was done and it was factored into the design so that an extra tier can be added. The same has been done at Hull.
I know via a personal friend that tenders were invited in confidence for the stadium extension back in Oct/Nov

Could you post a link to that thread or repost it here?
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Postby psut1 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Guy Debord wrote:
psut1 wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/vi ... +expansion
"I scored after 19 minutes a "bluemoon" goal - David White picked it up, he saw me standing alone, he crossed and I hammered it home. The moon had turned gold"
psut1

Postby Guy Debord » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:55 pm

psut1 wrote:
Guy Debord wrote:
psut1 wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/vi ... +expansion

Cheers, it looks like March the 18th at MIPIM in Cannes is gonna be the grand reveal.
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:17 am

Hate to say it but that BM thread is interesting.

What still staggers me is that some people - on both sites - still think we should stay at 47-8K. I hope no one at their work puts them in charge of forward planning! Every time we sell out we're losing money plus - and I dont know why - rebuilt/new stadia attract more fans, especially with the exciting plans of our owners.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 am

john@staustell wrote:Hate to say it but that BM thread is interesting.

What still staggers me is that some people - on both sites - still think we should stay at 47-8K. I hope no one at their work puts them in charge of forward planning! Every time we sell out we're losing money plus - and I dont know why - rebuilt/new stadia attract more fans, especially with the exciting plans of our owners.

We used to get around 34k at Maine rd & that was more or less our typical thick n thin support even though it was often sold out. Just by being promoted to the PL & staying there, our typical thick & thin support levelled at about 40- 42,000 & now it's about 44-45k.

If we can get that now as a purely top 8 side with ambition, then we can definitely get at least a regular 50 odd k, even in the short term, by actually being a side that genuinely competes to win the PL & where every game matters in a title challenge. Then if we actually start winning it regularly, the players become box office & you can add another 10k to that at least with all the tourists/glory hunters etc.

It all depeneds on keeping the prices down imo though. Push the prices up much more & some regulars will start to pick & choose their games & will need replacing.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby psut1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:01 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Hate to say it but that BM thread is interesting.

We used to get around 34k at Maine rd & that was more or less our typical thick n thin support even though it was often sold out. Just by being promoted to the PL & staying there, our typical thick & thin support levelled at about 40- 42,000 & now it's about 44-45k.

If we can get that now as a purely top 8 side with ambition, then we can definitely get at least a regular 50 odd k, even in the short term, by actually being a side that genuinely competes to win the PL & where every game matters in a title challenge. Then if we actually start winning it regularly, the players become box office & you can add another 10k to that at least with all the tourists/glory hunters etc.

Ted your right,the rumour I heard was with the capacity going up prices will in a lot of cases come down with lots of deals to bring in the next generation plus the people we have lost who just can't afford it anymore
It all depeneds on keeping the prices down imo though. Push the prices up much more & some regulars will start to pick & choose their games & will need replacing.
psut1

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 am

Build it and they will come.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am

As Roberto Mancini concentrates on building a winning team, HH Sheikh Mansour has turned his attention to building Eastlands into the focal point of Manchester.

The club has already announced plans to develop the area around Joe Mercer Way and the North Plaza to include 'City Street', a brand new area for food, retail and entertainment.

Crains reported earlier in the month that engineers, Arup and cost-consultants, Turner & Townsend were selected to prepare 17 acres of land around CoMS ahead of major redevelopment plans for East Manchester. So far, only preliminary work has begun on the site, removing underground structures such as old mines, and treating excavated materials.

On top of this, the old Clayton Aniline site housing project appears to have been shelved, with reports that the area will become the home of Manchester City's brand new £50m training complex.

It is thought that Arup may also be involved in the extension of the 47,726-capacity stadium.

This all sounds extremely exciting, but aside from the 'City Street' plans, what exactly is Manchester City planning to do at the other sites in and around Sportcity that would make it the focal point of Manchester?

1. CoMS site

Work has already begun on the CoMS site, which has been earmarked to become one of the countries leading tourist hotspots and the envy of the footballing world.

According to a source close to the club: 'The club's owners want 100,000 (visitors) a week. That's their target.

'It's ambitious, but so are the club's owners. There's a feeling that they are putting the money into it and they have a very clear idea about the returns they would like to see.

'It will have to be something really special or a collection of things that keep people coming into the area. The club's owners want east Manchester to be a global destination.'

It is believed that ADUG are attempting to get the FA Museum moved to Eastlands as part of the development. Other rumoured plans include a 5-star hotel, luxury commercial office space, high-end retail and leisure facilities and a high-technology centre. Designs are yet to be released, but speculation is rife that two major iconic landmarks will be part of the plans to make Eastlands one of the main attractions of not just Manchester, but the world. Plans could be very similar to the Etihad Stadium development in Australia.

The CoMS proposal will incorporate the brand new Metrolink line which is already under construction, and will possibly involve the expansion of the canal.

Earlier plans to include the much anticipated super casino appear to have been scrapped in favour of a more family orientated proposal, although it is thought the casino will be located elsewhere in East Manchester should it be omitted from the CoMS site.

2. Clayton Aniline site

The Clayton Aniline site is thought to be the location of Manchester City's brand new £50m training complex after the original housing project was reportedly shelved.

A club source told the Sunday Mirror of the proposal: 'This will be much more than just a training ground. It will be the club`s headquarters and will be the envy of football.

'It is more proof that the owners are serious about turning City into one of the biggest clubs in the world. It will also help to attract the top players because it will be the best of its kind in terms of training, medical and rehabilitation facilities.'

It is rumoured that the clubs new training ground will include around 20 pitches, a club hotel and house Academy players in on-site apartments.

The Clayton Aniline project is purely speculation at this point in time, as are most of the plans, which are yet to be officially announced.

One thing is for sure though, Manchester City's owners are set to not only put the club on the map, but also make sure that Manchester itself reinforces its status as one of the worlds top cities.

The future is bright, the future is blue.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum