I'd prefer not - but still ....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

I'd prefer not - but still ....

Postby Kladze » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:56 am

Man City to line up Jose Mourinho if top-four bid flounders

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

February 23, 2010

Speculation is mounting within football circles that Jose Mourinho will be offered the job at Manchester City if Roberto Mancini fails to finish in the top four this season.

Owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan hired Mancini to replace Mark Hughes with a mandate to qualify for the Champions League, and City's momentum towards that target has slowed with the Italian's future now on the agenda after a disappointing goalless draw at home to Liverpool at the weekend.

Mancini's credibility as City's long-term manager will be tested in a match against Chelsea this weekend and in the run-in when the Italian is expected to deliver Champions League football after flirting, albeit temporarily, with a title tilt when starting his reign with three successive league wins.

If a top-four finish is not delivered then Mourinho could be an option. The former Chelsea manager looks set to win back-to-back Serie A titles with Inter Milan but has attracted controversy in Italy, and on Monday was handed a three-match ban for making a handcuffs gesture in a draw with Sampdoria at the weekend.

A source revealed: "If City fail to finish in the top four, then Roberto Mancini's chances of staying beyond this season would be seriously jeopardised. Before Mancini arrived, City looked very closely at appointing either Mourinho or Guus Hiddink.

"In fact, they came close to offering the job to both of them, but Hiddink wasn't keen on returning to club football and Mourinho's demands were massive because it wasn't quite the right time for him to leave Inter.

"Jose wants to come back to English football, and it could all change in the summer. The talk is that Mourinho could well be at City for next season if Mancini fails to get City into the Champions League.

"The feeling is that Mancini's deal at City is contingent on reaching the top four, and options to keep him come into play at the end of the season, or not to keep him, depending on where they finish up."

Coincidentally it was Mourinho who replaced Mancini at Inter Milan, and now the Portuguese has been earmarked as the No. 1 candidate to take over from the current City boss at Eastlands if he fails to deliver.

Mourinho faces his old club Chelsea in the last 16 of the Champions League on Wednesday and his future could be defined by the outcome of the conflict in Europe, as he was hired to win the competition when Mancini could not, despite the Italian claiming three successive Serie A titles.

Mourinho has made no secret of his desire to return to English football, and that could be hastened if Inter went out to Chelsea, although the testing time for such major managerial upheavals would be the summer.

His much-awaited return to the Premier League, though, is limited to only three clubs: Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City.

United would be Mourinho's first choice, but Sir Alex Ferguson shows no signs of retirement. Liverpool's only chance of replacing Rafa Benitez with a coach with a bigger reputation, like Mourinho, would hinge on wealthy new owners, and so far buying out the current Americans is proving virtually impossible.

That leaves Manchester City with the budget, and the growing reputation that could attract Mourinho.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... report.com
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Re: I'd prefer not - but still ....

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 am

Kladze wrote:Man City to line up Jose Mourinho if top-four bid flounders

February 23, 2010

Speculation is mounting within football circles that Jose Mourinho will be offered the job at Manchester City if Roberto Mancini fails to finish in the top four this season.

Owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan hired Mancini to replace Mark Hughes with a mandate to qualify for the Champions League, and City's momentum towards that target has slowed with the Italian's future now on the agenda after a disappointing goalless draw at home to Liverpool at the weekend.

Mancini's credibility as City's long-term manager will be tested in a match against Chelsea this weekend and in the run-in when the Italian is expected to deliver Champions League football after flirting, albeit temporarily, with a title tilt when starting his reign with three successive league wins.

If a top-four finish is not delivered then Mourinho could be an option. The former Chelsea manager looks set to win back-to-back Serie A titles with Inter Milan but has attracted controversy in Italy, and on Monday was handed a three-match ban for making a handcuffs gesture in a draw with Sampdoria at the weekend.

A source revealed: "If City fail to finish in the top four, then Roberto Mancini's chances of staying beyond this season would be seriously jeopardised. Before Mancini arrived, City looked very closely at appointing either Mourinho or Guus Hiddink.

"In fact, they came close to offering the job to both of them, but Hiddink wasn't keen on returning to club football and Mourinho's demands were massive because it wasn't quite the right time for him to leave Inter.

"Jose wants to come back to English football, and it could all change in the summer. The talk is that Mourinho could well be at City for next season if Mancini fails to get City into the Champions League.

"The feeling is that Mancini's deal at City is contingent on reaching the top four, and options to keep him come into play at the end of the season, or not to keep him, depending on where they finish up."

Coincidentally it was Mourinho who replaced Mancini at Inter Milan, and now the Portuguese has been earmarked as the No. 1 candidate to take over from the current City boss at Eastlands if he fails to deliver.

Mourinho faces his old club Chelsea in the last 16 of the Champions League on Wednesday and his future could be defined by the outcome of the conflict in Europe, as he was hired to win the competition when Mancini could not, despite the Italian claiming three successive Serie A titles.

Mourinho has made no secret of his desire to return to English football, and that could be hastened if Inter went out to Chelsea, although the testing time for such major managerial upheavals would be the summer.

His much-awaited return to the Premier League, though, is limited to only three clubs: Manchester U***d, Liverpool and Manchester City.

U***d would be Mourinho's first choice, but Sir Alex Ferguson shows no signs of retirement. Liverpool's only chance of replacing Rafa Benitez with a coach with a bigger reputation, like Mourinho, would hinge on wealthy new owners, and so far buying out the current Americans is proving virtually impossible.

That leaves Manchester City with the budget, and the growing reputation that could attract Mourinho.

We already know all this. Mancini was employed to get a top 4 spot. If he doesn't get a top 4 spot then it could see him being replaced in the summer. Mourinho said all this last year about coming back to the PL and then (if memory serves) signed a new deal with Inter and pledged undying loyalty or until his latest spat with the Italian press or he is sacked by the Inter boss for not winning the CL.

Mancini's position is quite simple really which is why I get puzzled by some of the hysteria in the media - and on here sometimes
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Kladze » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:56 am

BobKowalski wrote:
We already know all this. Mancini was employed to get a top 4 spot. If he doesn't get a top 4 spot then it could see him being replaced in the summer. Mourinho said all this last year about coming back to the PL and then (if memory serves) signed a new deal with Inter and pledged undying loyalty or until his latest spat with the Italian press or he is sacked by the Inter boss for not winning the CL.

Mancini's position is quite simple really which is why I get puzzled by some of the hysteria in the media - and on here sometimes

I'm fully aware that we already 'know' all this ...... notice how the word KNOW is in inverted commas, meaning that we 'know' it as in we are in a good position to surmise it.
However. This is a forum and people like to debate stuff so I've copied and pasted a very recent article and, in my own way, I've commented on it. That is: I don't really fancy Mourinho but I'd prefer boring but winning football to what we're getting right now, which is just boring. But, thereagain, Roberto may yet surprise me, which is why I'm not calling for his head - that is, I'm not suffering any hysteria.

So, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't require a forum policeman thanks. If I did, I'd probably point out that there was absolutely no need at all for you to quote the whole fucking article and use up everyone's bandwidth ;)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:59 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Kladze wrote:Man City to line up Jose Mourinho if top-four bid flounders

February 23, 2010

His much-awaited return to the Premier League, though, is limited to only three clubs: Manchester U***d, Liverpool and Manchester City.

U***d would be Mourinho's first choice, but Sir Alex Ferguson shows no signs of retirement. Liverpool's only chance of replacing Rafa Benitez with a coach with a bigger reputation, like Mourinho, would hinge on wealthy new owners, and so far buying out the current Americans is proving virtually impossible.

Exactly!

That's why I don't see much point arguing either way. He was hired to do a job and if he fails to reach that target he is most likely off. If he reaches that target he MIGHT stay.

Whether someone thinks he is new coming of Stuart Pearce or certain other thinks he'd be "our Arsene Wenger" in long term don't mean shit really.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby btajim » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:43 am

I was hearing "initial 6 months" within hours of his appointment. Mourinho has made no secret of his desire to manage in England again - and I think he's the man we should go for.

If Mancini makes Top 4 then you'd think City would reward him with more time.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 am

Yes please at any cost
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 am

I WISH THEY WOULD ALL FUCK OFF AND DIE!!!

im begining to understand why carl feed the goat or w/e types in capitals. The more time i spend readin all this shit to fuck up our chances of the top 4 makes me sick!
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 am

BlueMoonAwoken wrote:I WISH THEY WOULD ALL FUCK OFF AND DIE!!!

im begining to understand why carl feed the goat or w/e types in capitals. The more time i spend readin all this shit to fuck up our chances of the top 4 makes me sick!

How does it fuck up our chances? Is this another persecution complex post? They are only writing what has been written on this board for weeks, and its clearly a page filler, as it is devoid of quotes to back up the theory - just like our opinions on this board.

Mancini knows what his contract is and what his targets are
The players no doubt also know or at least have a very good inkling what the contract is, and know what the clubs targets are

The only thing that will fuck up our chances is either having players who are not good enough / hungry enough to get to that top level, and/or a manager who is tactically incapable of getting to grips with the premier league.

The manager's contract or speculation about his future comes with the territory of being at a big club. Mancini has been there before, as have most of the players.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 am

Double yes please with bells on ... at any cost too. Mourinho would be an upgrade, ensure top players arrive and trophies (anyone remember them?) arrive.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 am

Kladze wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

I'm fully aware that we already 'know' all this ...... notice how the word KNOW is in inverted commas, meaning that we 'know' it as in we are in a good position to surmise it.
However. This is a forum and people like to debate stuff so I've copied and pasted a very recent article and, in my own way, I've commented on it. That is: I don't really fancy Mourinho but I'd prefer boring but winning football to what we're getting right now, which is just boring. But, thereagain, Roberto may yet surprise me, which is why I'm not calling for his head - that is, I'm not suffering any hysteria.

So, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't require a forum policeman thanks. If I did, I'd probably point out that there was absolutely no need at all for you to quote the whole fucking article and use up everyone's bandwidth ;)

Yes Boss

*shuffles off mortified by his faux pax"
BobKowalski

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:32 am

Do you think if Jose became manager it would unify the fans behind him?

He seems a popular choice
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:47 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Do you think if Jose became manager it would unify the fans behind him?

A lot of the gripes with Hughes were that whilst he appeared to be taking us in a particular direction, it was uncharted territory for him, and there was no evidence that his method would ever work. We liked his brand of attacking football, but he couldnt crack the "away from home" nut or the defensive one.

For those who are not happy about Mancini, it was a matter of days before allegations started that Inter only won the league because of the punishments to the other teams, thus his track record was called into question despite him having won cups with a couple of the less fancied clubs in Italy before he went to Inter.

With Mourinho, it takes away every single argument - in fact this board would be largely redundant apart from debates about the style of play and some of his more iffy signings. We can't argue with training methods, we can't argue about his coaching style, his handling of players, we can't even really argue about the style of football, because we know, beyond any shadow of a doubt that even if we dont agree with what team he might put out on the pitch, or the tactics or whatever else, this guy can and does win and has a track record beyond any question. The Chelsea players loved him to bits, ok Maybe not SWP, but most did.

It is in my book the only manager who could unify the fans, and stop all this petty bickering and devisiveness that has developed on here over the last couple of years - because nobody can argue with the fact that he gets the job done.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 am

I'd prefer if they gave Mancini at least as much time as they gave Hughes. However, as I mentioned before I reckon that if we do not finish 4th then he will be off and to be honest, Mourinho would be the only manager I would be happy with.

If they were to sack Mancini only to bring in another manager who has not cut it at the top level of the Premier League I think I would be pissed off because then they might as well just give Mancini more time and money to spend on players.

Mancini obviously fixed out defensive problems almost completely, the next step would be to fix our now somewhat lost attacking power by getting in midfielders who can do more than just 1 job and who are creative enough to link up well with our forwards.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 am

avoidconfusion wrote:If they were to sack Mancini only to bring in another manager who has not cut it at the top level of the Premier League I think I would be pissed off because then they might as well just give Mancini more time and money to spend on players.

I think that about sums it up for the vast majority on here. Would be mental to get rid of Mancini and get someone else who we can't have 100% faith and belief in.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Do you think if Jose became manager it would unify the fans behind him?

Probably for a while. But Jose's football isn't much different to Mancini's and personally I don't think there's much between Jose and Mancini as managers. Apart from that if succesfull Mancini would stay longer than two years.

Jose is a top top manager, probably the best in the world right now but at this stage I would repeat the question Ted Hughes made earlier. What if Jose isn't succesfull? Where would we go from there?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby petrov » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:06 pm

If Mancini makes the top4 theres no way even our board could replace him. Himself and Mourinho play simular football but Mourinho has obviously accomplished alot more.

through no fault of his own mancini won 3 undervalued serie A's while Mourinho has done it with the big guns back to close on their best. No doubting whose the better manager but you can't sack a man who reaches his targets.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:23 pm

petrov wrote:If Mancini makes the top4 theres no way even our board could replace him. Himself and Mourinho play simular football but Mourinho has obviously accomplished alot more.

through no fault of his own mancini won 3 undervalued serie A's while Mourinho has done it with the big guns back to close on their best. No doubting whose the better manager but you can't sack a man who reaches his targets.

I dunno about that chief - Pearce, Sven and Hughes were all on target when they were sacked!

To be honest if Mourinho wants the city job its his, regardless of where we finish - the club couldn't risk him going to another club if they persisted with mancini for another season. He plays similar football (maybe even better going on what we've witnessed) and he has won all there is to win nearly.

The thing is, he would probably stay two years, then fuck off to Barca or Real and having won the league with loads of money there, will end up managing Brazil before returning to manage Portugal.

You read it here first. Jose Mercenary
Original Dub

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:31 pm

petrov wrote:...No doubting whose the better manager but you can't sack a man who reaches his targets.

Actually you can and should if there is a better man for the job available.

If there ain't then leave well alone.
BobKowalski

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Isn't this the guy that Chelsea sacked for playing boring football? Jose out!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Original Dub wrote:
petrov wrote:If Mancini makes the top4 theres no way even our board could replace him. Himself and Mourinho play simular football but Mourinho has obviously accomplished alot more.

I dunno about that chief - Pearce, Sven and Hughes were all on target when they were sacked!

To be honest if Mourinho wants the city job its his, regardless of where we finish - the club couldn't risk him going to another club if they persisted with mancini for another season. He plays similar football (maybe even better going on what we've witnessed) and he has won all there is to win nearly.

The thing is, he would probably stay two years, then fuck off to Barca or Real and having won the league with loads of money there, will end up managing Brazil before returning to manage Portugal.

You read it here first. Jose Mercenary

Hughes was not on course for top four finish, which seemingly is the target for this season, when the decision over his sacking was taken. Pearce had just finished 4 points from relegation and I don't think that was our target really.

Rest of your post I fully agree with.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum