Training Wednesday 24/2

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Wednesday 24/2

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:15 am

The day of a match and for a change they didn't travel away to a hotel overnight but all reported in early to Carrington. I was told 10.30 for training but that they may not actually get outside. Therefore knowing it would be a very brief session if any at all I arrived to see them coming out at 10.25 and in very good spirits.

The management team were out already and the coaches were working closely on the docs ball skills. Left foot , right foot and then heading was the order of the day for him and I would say with regular practice he will make a footballer in about 30 generations!Mancini got them all together for an opening chat and then moved into a penalty area to work on the zonal positions with what I can only assume would be the team for tonight. Involving 9 in the box and 2 strategically placed for the breakaway.

After a few minutes of that they broke away to do some gentle jogging and movement around the whole pitch before calling it a day at 10.45! My guess is the coach would leave around noon.

I doubt it would matter at all if I said who the 11 were but as I don't think they would like me to I won't until mid afternoon by which time it really won't matter anymore.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Wednesday 24/2

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:24 am

Good report Doug,i've never understood why they stay overnight when a lot of our games are so close.

Let the players stay at home with their families and travel early on the day of the game after a cheeky training session and relax at a hotel/Health club and have evening meal.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Manx Blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Good stuff Douglas!! Did you get in again?
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Tony P » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm

The Sun understands that several Man City players are up in arms about having to train on the morning of a match. A source close to one of the millionaire players said: 'They are up in arms about having to train on the morning of the match.' Manchester City spent 200 million pounds last summer and are currently fifth in the Premier League.
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Tony P wrote:The Sun understands that several Man City players are up in arms about having to train on the morning of a match. A source close to one of the millionaire players said: 'They are up in arms about having to train on the morning of the match.' Manchester City spent 200 million pounds last summer and are currently fifth in the Premier League.

..............and were booed off by their own fans on Sunday" Oops no it was the ref, but dont mention that!

Doug - a whole 20 minutes eh? Shouldn't be tired tonight then!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:01 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Tony P wrote:The Sun understands that several Man City players are up in arms about having to train on the morning of a match. A source close to one of the millionaire players said: 'They are up in arms about having to train on the morning of the match.' Manchester City spent 200 million pounds last summer and are currently fifth in the Premier League.

..............and were booed off by their own fans on Sunday" Oops no it was the ref, but dont mention that!

Doug - a whole 20 minutes eh? Shouldn't be tired tonight then!

Just got them altogether early for a final walk through of the defensive handling of Stoke's bombs. 20 minutes was plenty.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Would you consider it mid afternoon now Doug ;)
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Manx Blue wrote:Good stuff Douglas!! Did you get in again?

Not inside today for a non session. After 3 now so here goes with the 11 who were working on the zonal stuff
Given
Micah,Nedum,Lescott,Bridge
Zaba,Barry,Vinnie,Ireland
Bellamy,Ade

Can't say that's the team or the formation but Toure wasn't out there at all and NDJ was watching with SWP and the rest.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Not inside today for a non session. After 3 now so here goes with the 11 who were working on the zonal stuff
Given
Bellamy,Ade

Can't say that's the team or the formation but Toure wasn't out there at all and NDJ was watching with SWP and the rest.

I'll go fucking mad if that is the team....
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby HeyMark » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:

Given
Bellamy,Ade

Why play two right backs? Its not as if we'll need the extra support on the right due to threat from any stoke winger
HeyMark

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 pm

HeyMark wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

Given
Bellamy,Ade

Why play two right backs? Its not as if we'll need the extra support on the right due to threat from any stoke winger

Rumour has it Etherington will be playing.
Can't be sure that's the team but that's the 11 he was working with.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby HeyMark » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:53 pm

HeyMark wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

Given
Bellamy,Ade

Rumour has it Etherington will be playing.
Can't be sure that's the team but that's the 11 he was working with.

As much as I think Etherington is a decent winger and I dont think he's the type of player that requires two RB's to be looking after him.
HeyMark

Postby Steve » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:03 pm

One would imagine if that is the team, he will work the midfield 4 as a diamond..

Vinnie
Zabaleta Barry
Ireland

Just my two cents though, as I wasn't at training.

That line up certainly looks like we are intending to play them at their own game. Can't wait for this cracker.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Hold on just a minute.. just because those players were in the mix of some zonal training, i dont see how that suggest anything to do with a line up. i mean for starters some of those players might have been positioned as dummy Stoke players, especially anyone with a bit of height.

personally i dont read anything into this at all
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Hold on just a minute.. just because those players were in the mix of some zonal training, i dont see how that suggest anything to do with a line up. i mean for starters some of those players might have been positioned as dummy Stoke players, especially anyone with a bit of height.

I can say with certainty that none of the players were being used as dummy Stoke players but with no certainty that will be the team.
Maybe Toure will be fit and replace Nedum in the 11?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Geo123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 pm

brite blu sky wrote:Hold on just a minute.. just because those players were in the mix of some zonal training, i dont see how that suggest anything to do with a line up. i mean for starters some of those players might have been positioned as dummy Stoke players, especially anyone with a bit of height.

I can say with certainty that none of the players were being used as dummy Stoke players but with no certainty that will be the team.

I wudnt even of dignified that with a response doug
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 pm

fair enough Doug - your the man.

so how about those were all the players in the squad expected to play a part in defensive duties, whether or not they would be on the bench or not?

or maybe thats the line up, strange as it may seem..

tonight we will know for sure
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:23 pm

One thing I have noticed in games when they are setting up zonal is Shay Given occasionally will wander to a player and move him a little bit to the exact spot he wants them in. ( often Adebayor) Anyone coming on during the match will know his defensive role when he goes on I am sure.

I hope I am wrong about the 11 but that doesnt mean I think we will lose as I expect a win tonight.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:03 pm

tbh i am also expecting a win as i rekon we will have learnt more about what to do about them than the other way round.

if the midfield turns out to be zabba, barry and vincent and with ireland floating around i would think they should cope.

gonna be interesting iether way
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby One cap Whitey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Doug. You are spot on with that team, this is it.

Given
Richards
Onuoha
Lescott
Zab
Kompany
Barry
Ireland
Bellamy
Adebayor
One cap Whitey
De Jong's Tackle