I want to know

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: I want to know

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:Does Mancini intend to keep playing this style of football when he has his own choice of players?
I want stability at the club, so I'm in favour of letting Bob carry this on, as long as he doesn't intend do do what I said above.
If he is promising attack football that is exciting to watch once he's had a summer window to get his own players then I'm willing to get behind him and look forward to seeing what he can do.
If this is how he feels footy should be played, and wants to buy more defenders, more defensive midfielders, and Luca Toni so we can carry on lumping to a big man, then I feel we should part company.

He signed Maicon and Ibrahimovich for Inter, not the kind of signings you make if you are defensive and play the style of football we are at the moment.

Mancini's hands are tied, these are Hughes' players, alot of them aren't good enough to play the style of football fans want to see.

You really shouldn't use that argument about these are Hughes players! Mancini has gone on record praising the quality of the squad. As for them not being good enough to produce the style we want to see , well they were doing that so i don't undrestand what you are trying to say. The problem before Mancini was letting silly goals in usually thru bad individual mistakes and not the style of football or ability to score goals.

agree with Doug here. Bob said the players were quality when he arrived, most people agree that our squad is top quality.

Except that he HAS said that he cannot understand why we had so few central midfielders. Seeing as this is the big area where we seem to be struggling, he has identified the very problem we are all up in arms about, so why he didnt sort it in the window.

It could all be part of the master plan; Mancini identifies target, Cook approaches target, target sits in hotel room throughout transfer deadline day only to find we somehow miss deadline, Cook appoints Mourinho or similar at end of season & he spends the money instead.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby brite blu sky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:24 pm

i imagine that he couldn't get who he wanted in the Jan window. PV was really a last resort.. help a mate out type signing
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
agree with Doug here. Bob said the players were quality when he arrived, most people agree that our squad is top quality.

Except that he HAS said that he cannot understand why we had so few central midfielders. Seeing as this is the big area where we seem to be struggling, he has identified the very problem we are all up in arms about, so why he didnt sort it in the window.

It could all be part of the master plan; Mancini identifies target, Cook approaches target, target sits in hotel room throughout transfer deadline day only to find we somehow miss deadline, Cook appoints Mourinho or similar at end of season & he spends the money instead.

You have a good memory Mr Hughes ;o)
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:Does Mancini intend to keep playing this style of football when he has his own choice of players?
I want stability at the club, so I'm in favour of letting Bob carry this on, as long as he doesn't intend do do what I said above.
If he is promising attack football that is exciting to watch once he's had a summer window to get his own players then I'm willing to get behind him and look forward to seeing what he can do.
If this is how he feels footy should be played, and wants to buy more defenders, more defensive midfielders, and Luca Toni so we can carry on lumping to a big man, then I feel we should part company.

He signed Maicon and Ibrahimovich for Inter, not the kind of signings you make if you are defensive and play the style of football we are at the moment.

Mancini's hands are tied, these are Hughes' players, alot of them aren't good enough to play the style of football fans want to see.

You really shouldn't use that argument about these are Hughes players! Mancini has gone on record praising the quality of the squad. As for them not being good enough to produce the style we want to see , well they were doing that so i don't undrestand what you are trying to say. The problem before Mancini was letting silly goals in usually thru bad individual mistakes and not the style of football or ability to score goals.

If I remember it correctly the comments about lacking in midfield came a little later and not at the start of his management. About the time he started thinking that for the way he wanted to play ( or was going to have to play) he didn't have the right type of midfielder.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:05 pm

He Will Want To Play This Type Of Football, But Better!!!

Looking over the games we have played since he took over from Hughes, I'd say we have seen his change in formation and style of play. I think the first few games were won by the players playing in their more natural form whilst tightening up on the defence from set pieces. We then moved onto some very defensive displays where we hardly got out of our half, which was caused with players having to take on a more disciplined role and move up with play as a team. We have now moved onto more flowing/passing performances against Liverpool and Stoke which have looked a lot better on the eye, which I think has come about due to the players now understanding the type of play that Mancio is asking for.

I think Mancio wants to build/play his side similar to what Jose would do and start from the back. This was our major failing under Hughes and although I have not been happy with many of the games played, I am beginning to see a more streamlined team which give us strengths in all departments. The only thing I think we are missing is an attacking midfielder who can switch the play from defence to attack quickly 'cos at the moment we cannot rely on Stevie or Paddy to give us that forward option.

On an aside, I keep noticing the mud being slung at Hughes and Mancio for their different tactics etc. Well, when Hughes left we were 6th, 4 points behind 4th with a game in hand, now we are 5th, 1 point behind 4th still with a game in hand. And yes, Mancio has had a hand full of easy games but at the same time he is looking to instill an all round footballing system combining all elements from defence to attack. So, for me, I believe both managers have done well in their own right, and that if this progression continues, we can look forward to Europe next season.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Socrates » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Doesn't matter who's players they are or how he would like us to be playing when we only have one fit attacking central midfielder at the club and he is hopelessly out of form! Unless Ireland clicks, the only way he has to attack through the middle is to switch the wingers so they come inside more and/or play a naturally more defensive midfielder further forward. All options people are vociferously attacking as if he has another choice and can magic up a new effective attacking midfielder from thin air...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Mike J wrote:im not happy at all but we have to give him to the end of the season. i dont undersrtand it though, when he first came in we were attacking (the match against wolves springs to mind) so why has it stopped!? were the players still in the mindset of hughes tactics or something?!

ive never seen a team just swtitch off attacking intent like in the past few weeks we have. its bizzare.

I hadn't seen the match, only followed it on the OS. But after seeing highlights today, I was mazed by the number of chances we had in the first half. Even playing with 3 DM's, we were attacking all the time and this was away at Stoke who hardly did anything in the 1st half. I wouldn't call that a defensive display.
We shud have scored at least 2 in the 1st H and then Stoke would have had to chase the match and expose themselves for counters.
The 1st Stoke goal was disgraceful defending but we came back into the match quickly and then Ade was sent off and it went downhill from there undertandably.
I saw enough in that display to give me some encouragment for the Chelski match even without Ade.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:51 pm

We have certainly gone right down hill since Bob turned up. This season could end like SGE's season did with a freefall run of results
My wife says " You only support City because they keep going down on you"
eastlands-lostboy
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BJTOUSERB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:08 pm

it is an old saying he need,s time just get the players he has, never mind new players to get a understanding
BJTOUSERB
Danny Mills' Wages

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:On an aside, I keep noticing the mud being slung at Hughes and Mancio for their different tactics etc. Well, when Hughes left we were 6th, 4 points behind 4th with a game in hand, now we are 5th, 1 point behind 4th still with a game in hand. And yes, Mancio has had a hand full of easy games but at the same time he is looking to instill an all round footballing system combining all elements from defence to attack. So, for me, I believe both managers have done well in their own right, and that if this progression continues, we can look forward to Europe next season.

Actually we are level on points for 4th with a game in hand (I know call me picky). But I agree with your points and I like the inclusive optimism in your last sentence.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby btajim » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:06 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:Mancini's hands are tied, these are Hughes' players, alot of them aren't good enough to play the style of football fans want to see.

Whilst they were far from the Harlem Globetrotters of Football, we were still being given more exciting Football under Hughes this season than we have been under Mancini. Something tells me that these players are good enough to play - but they're not playing at the moment. Our squad is very, very strong.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Socrates wrote:Doesn't matter who's players they are or how he would like us to be playing when we only have one fit attacking central midfielder at the club and he is hopelessly out of form! Unless Ireland clicks, the only way he has to attack through the middle is to switch the wingers so they come inside more and/or play a naturally more defensive midfielder further forward. All options people are vociferously attacking as if he has another choice and can magic up a new effective attacking midfielder from thin air...

OR......

And this is a bit crazy I admit....

Instead of trying to "magic up a new effective attacking midfielder", why not just buy one in the January transfer market when he had the chance?

Instead he bought an old man because he's friends with him.

We'll reap what he sows.
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:44 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:On an aside, I keep noticing the mud being slung at Hughes and Mancio for their different tactics etc. Well, when Hughes left we were 6th, 4 points behind 4th with a game in hand, now we are 5th, 1 point behind 4th still with a game in hand. And yes, Mancio has had a hand full of easy games but at the same time he is looking to instill an all round footballing system combining all elements from defence to attack. So, for me, I believe both managers have done well in their own right, and that if this progression continues, we can look forward to Europe next season.

Actually we are level on points for 4th with a game in hand (I know call me picky). But I agree with your points and I like the inclusive optimism in your last sentence.

Cheers mate, but actually we are 5th with a game in hand. A one goal advantage is as good as a point in anyones books.

Strange but I'm starting to enjoy the season again after a disappointing dip. Nothing's straight forward with City!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Socrates wrote:Doesn't matter who's players they are or how he would like us to be playing when we only have one fit attacking central midfielder at the club and he is hopelessly out of form! Unless Ireland clicks, the only way he has to attack through the middle is to switch the wingers so they come inside more and/or play a naturally more defensive midfielder further forward. All options people are vociferously attacking as if he has another choice and can magic up a new effective attacking midfielder from thin air...

OR......

And this is a bit crazy I admit....

Instead of trying to "magic up a new effective attacking midfielder", why not just buy one in the January transfer market when he had the chance?

Instead he bought an old man because he's friends with him.

We'll reap what he sows.

I think that's a bit extreme. If you look at it logically most people would work out that he wasn't given room to manoveure in that area. Pat was brought in on loan until the end of the season whereas the only signing was apparently pre-designated.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

Cheers mate, but actually we are 5th with a game in hand. A one goal advantage is as good as a point in anyones books.

Strange but I'm starting to enjoy the season again after a disappointing dip. Nothing's straight forward with City!

Now you're talking Beefy. Think positive. think points at Chelsea... ok accept the draw !!

This season still has a lot of twists and turns in it. The rescheduling of games for Spurs and Everton at home could be vital for us ( ie Spurs Tues or Weds before a cup match and Everton , last game of the season, when nothing matters for them ).

We've now got some away games and Chelsea is important for social reasons, but really getting a point and therefore 4 from 6 against Chelsea at the moment, isn't at all bad. The games that follow (away) are really the ones to watch.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

Fair enough a point off the pace it is.

And I'm enjoying it as well so that makes two of us. Wonder if we can entice a few more into the fold?
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:18 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

And I'm enjoying it as well so that makes two of us. Wonder if we can entice a few more into the fold?

Don't really give two monkeys mate, most of the shit going on is between the 2 factions whereas I prefer to concentrate on City in the entirity. Hughes/Mancini, they are one in the same, they are the manager which we have little choice over.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:26 pm

BobKowalski wrote:

Count me in ;) Seriously, I've seen a lot of negativity on here lately, not all of it unjustified to be honest, but I do think that many see it darker than it is.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum