Is there any chance lads?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is there any chance lads?

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
I wasnt prepared to give Hughes time, i'd have fucked him off after 3 months for the Gelson incident alone as that was the single most stupid thing I have ever seen a manager do in a football match, and by xmas my fears were proven.

As for winning titles, bar Sven, none of our managers have had cvs dripping in silverware. Look how he fared from the get go with a team headed for relegation - proves managers CAN make an immediate impact, and proves that this "needs time" nonsence is exactly that, nonsence.

There's far to many people willing to sack managers for fuck all. Your highlighting of the 'Gelson incident' being a perfect example. He tried the bloke at fullback that's all. He's a decent tackler & it wasn't even a particularly controversial move apart from to drama queens on here. He probably had a good reason for thinking he might be ok there due to what he'd seen in training etc. Loads of great managers have tried the same kind of thing with success & failure. Brian Clough put a C forward at C half. If it had failed should he have been sacked?

If ever there was a sacking offense for that it was Sven STARTING a game with Elano there but even that would be a stupid thing to judge a manager's whole competence on. Mistakes happen, even Ferguson makes them.

If the team performs consistantly badly then the manager's role comes into question if he can't fix it. By your standards you would have sacked Ferguson & Howard Kendall before they won the league.

My main point was driving at this time situation - and yes perhaps I would have been one of the ones to have wanted Fergie out during that 4 year spell.

Difference was, Ferguson didnt have the pick of the world's talent at his disposal when he arrived, and although money was available, it took his a good while to build "his" team so perhaps in light of that I could have been a bit more lenient, as I was with Sven - I would have loved Sven to get a 2nd season because he showed enough glimpses of what was possible if he had the chance.

This is what irks me about this giving time issue, if they show they deserve it, I will back them to the hilt. Sven added a few players who played for him, dragging a team near certs for relegation into the top 4 at xmas. He absolutely deserved an extended shot for this alone, and proved beyond all doubt that if you know what you are doing and get the players playing for you, you CAN make an immediate impact and prove you are worthy of more time and support.

Ferguson spent the equivalent in money at the time that City & Chelsea did & after several years, still managed to lose 5-1 to Mel Machin & then finish behind Peter Reid. Sven did fine until Christmas & deserved another shot because of the circumstances he was in, Hughes did fine until Christmas & deserved another shot next season if he kept it up til the end of this season but so far Mancini has made the same side look much worse, so needs to improve if he's to be worthy of another go next season.

I was fucked off with Hughes, although delighted with what he had done upto the run of draws. I wasnt even that arsed about the draws, my only gripe at the time of his sacking was that for the second season running, I felt around October his tactics had been quickly cracked by opposition managers and he seemed like a rabbit in the headlights in that he just couldnt fathom it out.

Whilst I was not sad to see him go, I think its fair to say I was supportive of the view that he stayed till the end of the season as credit where it is due, I thought he, like Sven had EARNED the chance to see the season out.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Hughes, if you are gonna bring a new manager in mid-season, that manager HAS to make an immediate positive impact, especially when he sits there talking about winning the fucking league and insinuating that he knows his neck is on the line if he fucks up. I am not too sure what research the board did on this appointment, because if they did I fail to see how they thought this man could make an immediate impact, or whether they just thought fuck it, he is a big name and is available (my suspicion)

I'm frankly totally depressed at everything that has happened since December.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
I wasnt prepared to give Hughes time, i'd have fucked him off after 3 months for the Gelson incident alone as that was the single most stupid thing I have ever seen a manager do in a football match, and by xmas my fears were proven.

As for winning titles, bar Sven, none of our managers have had cvs dripping in silverware. Look how he fared from the get go with a team headed for relegation - proves managers CAN make an immediate impact, and proves that this "needs time" nonsence is exactly that, nonsence.

There's far to many people willing to sack managers for fuck all. Your highlighting of the 'Gelson incident' being a perfect example. He tried the bloke at fullback that's all. He's a decent tackler & it wasn't even a particularly controversial move apart from to drama queens on here. He probably had a good reason for thinking he might be ok there due to what he'd seen in training etc. Loads of great managers have tried the same kind of thing with success & failure. Brian Clough put a C forward at C half. If it had failed should he have been sacked?

If ever there was a sacking offense for that it was Sven STARTING a game with Elano there but even that would be a stupid thing to judge a manager's whole competence on. Mistakes happen, even Ferguson makes them.

If the team performs consistantly badly then the manager's role comes into question if he can't fix it. By your standards you would have sacked Ferguson & Howard Kendall before they won the league.

My main point was driving at this time situation - and yes perhaps I would have been one of the ones to have wanted Fergie out during that 4 year spell.

Difference was, Ferguson didnt have the pick of the world's talent at his disposal when he arrived, and although money was available, it took his a good while to build "his" team so perhaps in light of that I could have been a bit more lenient, as I was with Sven - I would have loved Sven to get a 2nd season because he showed enough glimpses of what was possible if he had the chance.

This is what irks me about this giving time issue, if they show they deserve it, I will back them to the hilt. Sven added a few players who played for him, dragging a team near certs for relegation into the top 4 at xmas. He absolutely deserved an extended shot for this alone, and proved beyond all doubt that if you know what you are doing and get the players playing for you, you CAN make an immediate impact and prove you are worthy of more time and support.

Ferguson spent the equivalent in money at the time that City & Chelsea did & after several years, still managed to lose 5-1 to Mel Machin & then finish behind Peter Reid. Sven did fine until Christmas & deserved another shot because of the circumstances he was in, Hughes did fine until Christmas & deserved another shot next season if he kept it up til the end of this season but so far Mancini has made the same side look much worse, so needs to improve if he's to be worthy of another go next season.

I was fucked off with Hughes, although delighted with what he had done upto the run of draws. I wasnt even that arsed about the draws, my only gripe at the time of his sacking was that for the second season running, I felt around October his tactics had been quickly cracked by opposition managers and he seemed like a rabbit in the headlights in that he just couldnt fathom it out.

Whilst I was not sad to see him go, I think its fair to say I was supportive of the view that he stayed till the end of the season as credit where it is due, I thought he, like Sven had EARNED the chance to see the season out.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Hughes, if you are gonna bring a new manager in mid-season, that manager HAS to make an immediate positive impact, especially when he sits there talking about winning the fucking league and insinuating that he knows his neck is on the line if he fucks up. I am not too sure what research the board did on this appointment, because if they did I fail to see how they thought this man could make an immediate impact, or whether they just thought fuck it, he is a big name and is available (my suspicion)

I'm frankly totally depressed at everything that has happened since December.

So am I but I don't actually think Mancini is a shit manager or that he definitely can't do a decent job for City, I just don't think that there's any evidence he could ever do anything any better than the last manager & the last bloke was trying to do it with more style.

We're back to the league games now though & the ball is still in our court re 4th place if we perform well enough. We haven't fucked it up yet & this is Mancini's chance to prove how good he is so even if they do bring in Mourinho, his reputation will be enhanced by his time at City rather than destroyed, like 95% of previous managers.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sandman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:We can give Roberto Mancini the following

A pre-season
A summer transfer window
His own backroom staff ffs
His own squad ffs
Longer than 3 months before everyone starts wanting to get rid of him and the managers job here becomes a posion challice.

Is there any chance we could have some fucking stability for once?

The Sheik is going to spend £200m every 18 months if we carry on.

This.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:25 pm

A pre-season
A summer transfer window
His own squad ffs
Longer than 3 months before everyone starts wanting to get rid of him and the managers job here becomes a posion challice.

cmon on, we are city fans, we have to moan a lot. think this money has made us want more AND NOW
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby sandman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:24 pm

CITYSTEVEDON wrote:

A pre-season
A summer transfer window
His own squad ffs

cmon on, we are city fans, we have to moan a lot. think this money has made us want more AND NOW

I think the money has made some people far too much like Munichs, the two things I hate about munichs most are the following mindsets;

1. We lost because we were shit. (cannot comprehend playing well but the opposition just playing better)

2. Silverware is everything and if dont win something every season then your shit.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum