He's alive

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: He's alive

Postby Grob » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:18 am

King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
King Kev wrote:It's hard to believe that he has had to take a job in punditry, I thought a top club would have snapped him up by now.

Agenda?

Zzzzzzzzz

ok, i'll reply properly

I think he deserves a shot off the back of what we did with us.
Yeah, whatever. Not interested tbh, he's gone, time to move on eh?

I've started a sticky thread for people who want to talk about hughes, just like we had when he was at the club. Hopefully people will respect the fact that some of us are living in the present and keep their thoughts on him to that thread.

Is it a new forum rule that we cannot talk about the past unless theres a 'sticky' thread regarding?

I enjoyed watching City more under Hughes. I didnt watch on Wednesday on purpose for the first time in a long while. Mancini is ruining the joy of watching my club play footbal, something Hughes never came near too, whatever his faults.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Erwin Rommel » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:31 am

Hopefully Garrrry Cook will go on his handsand knees to the studio and beg him to come back.
Erwin Rommel
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: mcfc
My favourite player is: tevez

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 am

Erwin Rommel wrote:Hopefully Garrrry Cook will go on his handsand knees to the studio and beg him to come back.

Hopefully not. Even if Hughes were the best manager in the world, which he isn't, "begging" him to come back would not be a wise move for the club's image.

Even if we fucked up in sacking him, which I still don't think we have, we will just have to get on with it and get Mourinho for next season, no going back to past managers, it never works well imho.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby btajim » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:22 am

Grob wrote:Is it a new forum rule that we cannot talk about the past unless theres a 'sticky' thread regarding?

I enjoyed watching City more under Hughes. I didnt watch on Wednesday on purpose for the first time in a long while. Mancini is ruining the joy of watching my club play footbal, something Hughes never came near too, whatever his faults.

I'm disappointed to learn that someone like you (a massive Fan) didn't want to watch on Wednesday. I watched it on your behalf and would like to confirm that it was crap.

But I wouldn't bother asking about the rules here - they make it up as they go along.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Wooders » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:48 am

King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
King Kev wrote:It's hard to believe that he has had to take a job in punditry, I thought a top club would have snapped him up by now.

Agenda?

Zzzzzzzzz

ok, i'll reply properly

I've started a sticky thread for people who want to talk about hughes, just like we had when he was at the club. Hopefully people will respect the fact that some of us are living in the present and keep their thoughts on him to that thread.

Naughty.

I am looking forward to hearing what he has to say to be honest, should be interesting, am I right in thinking this will be his first "public" outing since the club sacked him ?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:14 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:MANCHINI OUT

I'd bring back Hughes rapid

AMEN

AMEN to that brother

Hughes had the style of hair, aswell as the sharp suits that could have really took us places

Actually - and I am mainly joking here - having seen the way the Hughes haters have been behaving recently - doing their best to defend Mancini by rubbishing evryone else and trying to avoid talking about the problems of Mancini by saying everyone else is some Hughes lover - and starting topics and polls which are loaded / anti Hughes - you could actually make an interesting poll out of the question.

"Whilst bearing in mind that Hughes is not coming back - and not particulaly wanting to cause more unstability by getting rid of Mancini - WITH HINDSIGHT - do you think we would have actually been better off at the end of February if we had not made the change - yes/no?"
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:16 am

King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
King Kev wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Agenda?

Zzzzzzzzz

ok, i'll reply properly

Never seen a Hughes thread without you on it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:22 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
Maybe the cup defeats are the problem for Mancini, just as the draws were for Hughes, as statistically he's doing better, but, much as I didn't like Hughes, Mancini is boring me to tears.

Not disregarding the stats you posted, which by the way seem to prove what I was saying at least for the goals conceded part, while I agree we lost much of our scoring ability so that does raise some worries, I wanted to comment on this.

Mancini is boring now but I don't believe we are the finished article under him, meaning there's still space for improvement upfront, and to be honest I've seen glimpses of this in the last few games, against Stoke on Weds we could (and should) have been out of sight in the first half with better finishing, and that is not down to the manager but to the players. Hughes had a season and a half to settle the defence, but he never got around to doing that, going for the "let's score one more than the opposition" approach, which, if you watch the big teams all across Europe, none of them use, basing their success on a tight defence first of all.

So this is the difference, I didn't feel Hughes would manage to steady the backline even in another three seasons, while with Mancini I still feel we can improve from where we are now.

Don't understand why people think Hughes couldn't get a team to play defensive football. Hughes' Blackburn defence made up of cheaply signed nobodies would cope with most teams as well or better than ours does now. It would have most likely beaten Stoke.

He was trying to play attacking football at City because that's what a team in our position should be doing & it's probably what he'd been told he should do. Who wants to spend £200M & build Everton?

Ted I think you are trying to rationalise what the Hughes haters say (do not mean CFFR here) - trying to put some sense/logic around it - they used to slag him off full tilt by saying he was going to make us play like Blackburn!! - just 'cos it suited them - then it was cannot defend etc etc - they just hated him - simple as - and they just 'twisted in the wind' with every argument chaning to their agenda - it still happens now

I actually enjoyed the football much more in those days - and importantly when we went behind - which we often did - I always thought we would come back - which we often did - I do not feel that anymore.

I was no Hughes lover/licker (or whatever the label was) - just wanted to let things be given a chance this full season - seemed reasonable (especially nowadays)
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:29 am

Never seen a Hughes thread without you on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ted - you see that is the point - it is mainly the Hughes haters that are Hughes obsessed - you had NQDP starting the Hughes/Mancini poll just because he was failing in his anti Hughes debate on another thread and so on - the bottom line is they are probably thinking that "....perhaps the grass is not so green after all" - but admitting that does not come easily

This thread is clearly an exclusive Hughes thread -so why do they bother - cos they are bothered?
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby King Kev » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Never seen a Hughes thread without you on it.
That ia a lie. I didn't post on here at all for 3 months of his reign and before that I deliberately went out of my way to avoid talking about him.

Please don't make stuff up. Ta.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:53 am

King Kev wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Never seen a Hughes thread without you on it.
That ia a lie. I didn't post on here at all for 3 months of his reign and before that I deliberately went out of my way to avoid talking about him.

Please don't make stuff up. Ta.

Sorry then, it should read 'you seem to appear on most Hughes threads that I've been on usually complaining about it yet still managing to slip a comment in'.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:10 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

AMEN

AMEN to that brother

Hughes had the style of hair, aswell as the sharp suits that could have really took us places

Actually - and I am mainly joking here - having seen the way the Hughes haters have been behaving recently - doing their best to defend Mancini by rubbishing evryone else and trying to avoid talking about the problems of Mancini by saying everyone else is some Hughes lover - and starting topics and polls which are loaded / anti Hughes - you could actually make an interesting poll out of the question.

"Whilst bearing in mind that Hughes is not coming back - and not particulaly wanting to cause more unstability by getting rid of Mancini - WITH HINDSIGHT - do you think we would have actually been better off at the end of February if we had not made the change - yes/no?"

With hindsight? Yes we made the right change. Hughes had lost the plot and his cunning plan of buying lots of players until he stumbled across 11 that worked was finally put out of its deluded misery. The plan was unsustainable. He even bought players that everyone knew would never be fit to play - I say this after again saying those magic words on SSN 'Santa Cruz doubtful'. Those 3 words mark the grave of Hughes City's adventure.

And if supporting the current manager is a crime then I plead guilty and there are plenty of posts from me outlining why I support the current manager and why he is a far better option than Hughes.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:32 am

Bob you have forgotten to highlight the bits where you are trying to be funny:)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wooders » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 am

BobKowalski wrote:And if supporting the current manager is a crime then I plead guilty and there are plenty of posts from me outlining why I support the current manager and why he is a far better option than Hughes.
[quote="BobKowalski"]

UNtil he proves it on the pitch then all of your reasons are null and void - at the moment he's not a better option than hughes, we are doing worse in case you haven't noticed
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Renato_CTID » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:41 am

Welcome back Hughesy, our unforgettable King of Draws in Premier League!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:44 am

By now?

I thought it took AGES and AGES for the truely top managers to be "snapped up".

Like Roberto Mancini :)
Original Dub

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:46 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Bob you have forgotten to highlight the bits where you are trying to be funny:)

What do you mean trying?

Cheeky git :)
BobKowalski

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:48 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Bob you have forgotten to highlight the bits where you are trying to be funny:)

What do you mean trying?

Cheeky git :)

Don't mind him Bob, I think you're fucking hilarious.
Original Dub

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:54 am

BobKowalski wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

AMEN

AMEN to that brother

With hindsight? Yes we made the right change. Hughes had lost the plot and his cunning plan of buying lots of players until he stumbled across 11 that worked was finally put out of its deluded misery. The plan was unsustainable. He even bought players that everyone knew would never be fit to play - I say this after again saying those magic words on SSN 'Santa Cruz doubtful'. Those 3 words mark the grave of Hughes City's adventure.

And if supporting the current manager is a crime then I plead guilty and there are plenty of posts from me outlining why I support the current manager and why he is a far better option than Hughes.

Just a poll - I also support the current manager - as I have said many times I want some stability please - I supported the previous manager and the zillion before him

Bu the poll is 'with hindsight' - so I would say that 'with hindsight' that we definitely made a mistake (does not mean I want Mancini sacked) - in the absence of a poll I will keep count - that is 1 -1
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BobKowalski » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Wooders wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:And if supporting the current manager is a crime then I plead guilty and there are plenty of posts from me outlining why I support the current manager and why he is a far better option than Hughes.

UNtil he proves it on the pitch then all of your reasons are null and void - at the moment he's not a better option than hughes, we are doing worse in case you haven't noticed

I disagree. I will use Hughes as an example. Hughes took over from Sven and finished lower then Sven did in the preceding season. Hughes cited the culture and mentality at the club and the players as the reason for underperforming. Hughes felt he had the solution so despite not proving it on the pitch in terms of league position, successful cup runs or even finishing high enough to qualify for Europe he was given another season and a large pot of money to get rid of players and acquire new ones.

As to doing worse then under Hughes in terms of what ADUG want, which is a top 4 finish, Mancini has put us in a stronger position so that is factually incorrect. In terms of performance Mancini has put the brakes on the free wheeling approach much beloved of the fans and opposing managers given the amount of space and time we left at the back and tried to ensure and I quote 'important that we work as a team'. You and others may not like it but lifes a bitch and all that.

The only question is can Mancini makes these changes, get the team firing again and remain in the hunt for a top 4 spot. If he can then great. If he can't then he is likely to be toast. I support his approach and believe that if we want to be a top 4 club and part of the European elite then this is the way forward. I do not think it makes sense to mope after our version of the Newcastle King Kev wishing for the good old days when we just bombed forward and crossed our fingers.

If you consider City in terms of evolution then Hughes had the road map (he was not wrong in identifying some of the problems) and Mancini is showing us the way forward. Someone else may complete the journey but in, what is ADUG's first season, we are in my opinion going along nicely
BobKowalski

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum