The hughes Thread

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The hughes Thread

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm

btajim wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
btajim wrote:Hughes made himself an achievable target that he knew he was likely to be able to better? Sounds like a shrewd move on his part.

Maybe shrewd move on his part but not our part. Probably got him the boot as well, showing the owners that he didn't think he had it in him to reach targets OWNERS set.

Hughes got paid off. Nice Christmas Present!

The targets will have been agreed by both parties and City went back on their word. It'll be interesting to see what they do if Mancini doesn't make 4th. That's the target he's been set.

Seriously that is bollocks. In any business targets move as events unfold. The level of spending, Liverpool's decline made top 4 a bigger reality then was probably first envisaged. Hughes was always going to be evaluated at Xmas prior to the January window and after 18 months in charge there was plenty to evalute him on and in the end he was found wanting.

As for Mancini I suspect that finishing 4th will not be a deal breaker. I think Mancini was always in the frame for the job (as no doubt other high profile managers were) and barring total meltdown he will be here next year. If you look at some reports from the summer Mancini was linked to the job with talk of assessing Hughes at Xmas with Mancini as an option to replace Hughes which is pretty much what happened - Paul Hetherington in the Star wrote this in the summer (and yes I know its the Star but its useful to go back and see what people write and then judge it against what has actually happened).

Of course if Mancini does not get a top 4 spot and he is not sacked as many people would like then a lot of people on here are going to go mad and talk about double standards and compare it to how 'badly Mark Hughes was treated' well bollocks to that.

When you stump up half a billion in buying the club and new players you get certain perks and picking the manager you want to coach the team is one of them. Same goes for Mancini if he did get a top 4 spot and still gets the boot in the summer and Jose is drafted in. Yep it would be just as harsh on Mancini (although I doubt if you would see the Hughes mob crying over it) but Mourinho is the best coach in world football so Mancini would have to suck it up. Personally I think the Mourinho boat has long sailed but who knows.

This Hughes tread is sentimental to the point of being seriously gay so take down the sheep posters and stop bleating.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby btajim » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:35 am

BobKowalski wrote:Seriously that is bollocks. In any business targets move as events unfold. The level of spending, Liverpool's decline made top 4 a bigger reality then was probably first envisaged. Hughes was always going to be evaluated at Xmas prior to the January window and after 18 months in charge there was plenty to evalute him on and in the end he was found wanting.

As for Mancini I suspect that finishing 4th will not be a deal breaker. I think Mancini was always in the frame for the job (as no doubt other high profile managers were) and barring total meltdown he will be here next year. If you look at some reports from the summer Mancini was linked to the job with talk of assessing Hughes at Xmas with Mancini as an option to replace Hughes which is pretty much what happened - Paul Hetherington in the Star wrote this in the summer (and yes I know its the Star but its useful to go back and see what people write and then judge it against what has actually happened).

Of course if Mancini does not get a top 4 spot and he is not sacked as many people would like then a lot of people on here are going to go mad and talk about double standards and compare it to how 'badly Mark Hughes was treated' well bollocks to that.

When you stump up half a billion in buying the club and new players you get certain perks and picking the manager you want to coach the team is one of them. Same goes for Mancini if he did get a top 4 spot and still gets the boot in the summer and Jose is drafted in. Yep it would be just as harsh on Mancini (although I doubt if you would see the Hughes mob crying over it) but Mourinho is the best coach in world football so Mancini would have to suck it up. Personally I think the Mourinho boat has long sailed but who knows.

This Hughes tread is sentimental to the point of being seriously gay so take down the sheep posters and stop bleating.

No it isn't. If my point didn't hold water then Clubs would be sacking their Manager after 3 months. Hughes was not going to be evaluated at Christmas because the decision to start looking around for a new Man was made after the Hull draw.

Why are you criticising the Hughes thread yet making massive posts on it? I might go and stick my hand in the fire because I'm cold. Besides, Hughes' reign was seen as controversial in the eyes of many and it's an interesting topic of debate which may not go away for some time.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:05 am

BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:
btajim wrote:Hughes made himself an achievable target that he knew he was likely to be able to better? Sounds like a shrewd move on his part.

Maybe shrewd move on his part but not our part. Probably got him the boot as well, showing the owners that he didn't think he had it in him to reach targets OWNERS set.

The targets will have been agreed by both parties and City went back on their word. It'll be interesting to see what they do if Mancini doesn't make 4th. That's the target he's been set.

Seriously that is bollocks. In any business targets move as events unfold. The level of spending, Liverpool's decline made top 4 a bigger reality then was probably first envisaged. Hughes was always going to be evaluated at Xmas prior to the January window and after 18 months in charge there was plenty to evalute him on and in the end he was found wanting.

I think we should have moved on a long time ago - but the irony is that this thread was started by an anti-Hughes member and has been contributed to in volume of posts far more by the extreme anti-Hughes members than any 'pro-Hughes' members - why is that??

Why do you guys feel the need to carry it on? - do you need to vent some more? - do you feel the need to justify previously extreme behaviour when you could not get behind the manager of CITY - what is it? because it is clearly the anti-Hughes guys with the problem here - just move on why don't you
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 am

btajim wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:Seriously that is bollocks. In any business targets move as events unfold. The level of spending, Liverpool's decline made top 4 a bigger reality then was probably first envisaged. Hughes was always going to be evaluated at Xmas prior to the January window and after 18 months in charge there was plenty to evalute him on and in the end he was found wanting.

No it isn't. If my point didn't hold water then Clubs would be sacking their Manager after 3 months. Hughes was not going to be evaluated at Christmas because the decision to start looking around for a new Man was made after the Hull draw.

Why are you criticising the Hughes thread yet making massive posts on it? I might go and stick my hand in the fire because I'm cold. Besides, Hughes' reign was seen as controversial in the eyes of many and it's an interesting topic of debate which may not go away for some time.

Hughes was going to be evaluated at Xmas because of his performance in the previous season and because he had spent a fortune in the summer on getting the players he wanted. Before the next round of spending in Jan the board was always going to evaluate the perfomance and results produced so far. That is just commen sense. If you believe that we just starting looking after the Hull draw then that is your perogative. I do believe we decided to go ahead with serious intent on replacing Hughes after the Hull draw but the looking around had already been done. Mancini along with others had been checked out long before this and it was just a question of firming up one of the preferred options which turned out to be Mancini. As I said there were a number of press reports in the summer stating that Hughes would be evaluated in December and that Mancini was the favourite to take over if Hughes was found wanting. This as it turned out was what happened proving that whilst the press is rarely right it is not always wrong.

What ADUG have to do now is stick with their (in effect) first managerial appointment or make a long term appointment in the summer and stick with that. Either way they have to stick with someone. My own view is that Mancini is here for the long haul but that is just my opinion.

As to to my criticism of the Hughes thread well that was a bit uncalled and for that I apologise.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:39 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
btajim wrote:

I think we should have moved on a long time ago - but the irony is that this thread was started by an anti-Hughes member and has been contributed to in volume of posts far more by the extreme anti-Hughes members than any 'pro-Hughes' members - why is that??

Why do you guys feel the need to carry it on? - do you need to vent some more? - do you feel the need to justify previously extreme behaviour when you could not get behind the manager of CITY - what is it? because it is clearly the anti-Hughes guys with the problem here - just move on why don't you

I know! Seriously, move on already. I'm sick of seeing this thread still on the board! How long is it gonna be here? In 6 managers time?
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Lee_Kinda » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Is this thread really still here? lol When does it get taken down?
Lee_Kinda
De Jong's Tackle

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Lee_Kinda wrote:Is this thread really still here? lol When does it get taken down?

When Doug gets his pass. But wait a minute.....
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 am

Lee_Kinda wrote:Is this thread really still here? lol When does it get taken down?

Seconded.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 pm

john@staustell wrote:

Seconded.

You know what they say...............If you love 'em, let 'em go'!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Slim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 pm

I am guessing if people keep replying it'll stay in place, the irony of people posting to complain about it is probably working against them.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby gillie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Imho and whilst i thought the Hughes sacking was wrong i now think its time to put this thread to bed as we are only living in the past whilst contributing to it.Its now time to move forward with our future wherever it lies.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:14 pm

gillie wrote:Imho and whilst i thought the Hughes sacking was wrong i now think its time to put this thread to bed as we are only living in the past whilst contributing to it.Its now time to move forward with our future wherever it lies.

Meh time to move on lol?

You move on you knob, I love mark Hughes and that's the end of it.

But I would like a Sven thread.
Original Dub

Postby gillie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Original Dub wrote:
gillie wrote:Imho and whilst i thought the Hughes sacking was wrong i now think its time to put this thread to bed as we are only living in the past whilst contributing to it.Its now time to move forward with our future wherever it lies.

Meh time to move on lol?

Ronan i cannot believe you just called me a knob!thats you off my Christmas card list you spud picker lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm

gillie wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Meh time to move on lol?

Ronan i cannot believe you just called me a knob!thats you off my Christmas card list you spud picker lol.

And no spud for you for xmas this year! :)
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm telling you this thread is saying (until someone up top says it's not).

I miss Hughes.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby gillie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 pm

This thread will be changed to "All our Yesterdays soon narrated by Brian Inglis".Time to move on.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lythamblue » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 am

gillie wrote:This thread will be changed to "All our Yesterdays soon narrated by Brian Inglis".Time to move on.

Agreed .... I know these type of threads are good talking points but they really are completely irrelevant.

They are for opinion only and as no one will ever know what would have happened if Hughes was still here, no one will ever be able to prove they were right or wrong.

It's a bit like debating what came first ..... the chicken or the egg? No one will ever come up with a proven answer.

Hughes was sacked ...... Mancini is now manager .... end of!
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby omgwtf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Hughsie has a chin a bit like Desperate Dan
omgwtf
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: gods own club
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:38 pm

KK can we not get rid of this thread now Hughes has gone and aint coming back end of.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Montgomery Burns » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:11 am

I'm still annoyed Les McDowall was forced out in 1963. He'd have come good eventually, especially if he'd had £200m to spend. He just didn't have enough time - 13 years was nothing in those days. Surely this is worth a thread in it's own right?

No time for George Poyser though (RIP). Thanks God Joe Mercer took over when he did.
Montgomery Burns
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum