Substitutions

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Substitutions

Postby BmoreBlue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:42 pm

What did you all think of the substitutions on both sides?

Thought Mancini's substitutions were spot on - SWP for Johnson was the right move, and bringing on RSC was the right choice at the time as well, although i would've left Bridge on unless he was truly brought off for injury.

Meanwhile I was baffled by Ancellotti's subs - Mikel wasn't good, but what was bringing Belletti going to do? And Sturridge was awful, while Cole was their best creative spark on the right. Sturridge was just terrible, and was never a threat. And by the time they brought Kalou on, they had 4 strikers who just kept getting in each other's way.
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Re: Substitutions

Postby Wooders » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 pm

the occasion probably got to Sturridge, who must now be wondering whether or not he would have been better off where he was, a few cameos in the FA cup (where he has done well) is hardly the decorating himself in champs league glory he was anticipating - he was fairly ananomous when he came on, then again he was the same for us against the big teams
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:47 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:What did you all think of the substitutions on both sides?

Thought Mancini's substitutions were spot on - SWP for Johnson was the right move, and bringing on RSC was the right choice at the time as well, although i would've left Bridge on unless he was truly brought off for injury.

Meanwhile I was baffled by Ancellotti's subs - Mikel wasn't good, but what was bringing Belletti going to do? And Sturridge was awful, while Cole was their best creative spark on the right. Sturridge was just terrible, and was never a threat. And by the time they brought Kalou on, they had 4 strikers who just kept getting in each other's way.

bridge was substituted because of injury(groin) although i agree the subs were spot on.
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:51 pm

SWP on was definitely a good decision.

RSC was a strange one at a very important time, even if Bridge had taken a knock

Sylvinho helped a bit...

Its a tough one because I felt the first one helped us, the next hindered and the third redeemed the second, if you know what I mean?!

Overall, everyone got it spot on as a unit and if you don't you sure as fuck don't beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
Original Dub

Postby avoidconfusion » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I think he brought RSC on to keep pressure on Cheslea and prevent them from pushing up too much because they would always open themselves up to our two strikers.

And he is a good target man as well.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby Somerset Blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 pm

Bringing Bridge off also meant he didn't have to not shake Terry's hand again.

Good substitutions, I thought, and fairly positive - not just bringing on defensive players. We didn't sit back on the lead, otherwise it could all have been a bit different.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby BmoreBlue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:00 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:
And he is a good target man as well.

I think this is why he was brought on - i've always been impressed at tevez' ability to hold the ball up as a small guy, but bringing on a big option kept them from pushing everyone up, or they were going to be screwed on the counter - much like the last goal we scored :)
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Return to The Maine Football forum