Record haul in sight for the Blues

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Record haul in sight for the Blues

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:32 pm

City are just six points off equalling their best Premier League points total ... with eleven games still to play!

The Blues managed 55 points in 2007/08 – the biggest haul since the Premier League reduced to 20 teams in 1995/96 – though we did finish with 57 points in the inaugural 42-match campaign three years earlier.

Nine more goals this term will set a top-flight scoring record, too, with Roberto Mancini’s side already on target to top last season’s best of 58 – all of which bodes well for the bid to gatecrash the top four and clinch a Champions League qualifying berth.

But Liverpool, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur all have the same ambition in what has become a four-way battle.

With Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal well set for the top three places and Birmingham and Everton off the pace, the remaining fixtures for the four hopefuls will be the key.

The Blues have a game in hand and six out of 11 games to be played at the City of Manchester Stadium. Crucially, two of the visiting teams will be Spurs and Aston Villa.

Liverpool's toughest-looking games are at Manchester United and Birmingham, with a visit from Chelsea, though they will also face Wigan, Portsmouth, Sunderland, West Ham and Burnley.

On paper, Tottenham have the hardest run-in with trips to Stoke, City and Manchester United, while they will also host Arsenal and Chelsea in successive games.

Villa could find their cup exploits taking their toll in the latter stages of the campaign, though trips to City and Chelsea look to be their sternest tests.

Here are our fellow Champions League hopefuls’ remaining games:

TOTTENHAM: Blackburn (h), Stoke (a), Portsmouth (h), Sunderland (a), Arsenal (h), Chelsea (h), Man United (a), Bolton (h), Burnley (a). TBA City (a).

LIVERPOOL: Wigan (a), Portsmouth (h), Man United (a), Sunderland (h), Birmingham (a), Fulham (h) West Ham (h), Burnley (a), Chelsea (h), Hull (a).

VILLA: Stoke (a), Wigan (a), Wolves (h), Chelsea (a), Bolton (a), Everton (h), Portsmouth (a), Birmingham (h), City (a), Blackburn (h). TBC: Sunderland (h), Hull (a)

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Record haul in sight for the Blues

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Its going to rest on us beating Everton,Spurs,Rags and Villa at home.

If we do that and nick some points away.

BOOM,WERE ON.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Mark Garrett » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:20 pm

We need to get to 70points. If we do that, we'll finish 4th.

So we need 21 points in 11 games - 6 home matches and 5 away matches.

5 wins and 1 draw in 6 homes = 16 pts

A couple of wins away or a win and a couple of draws on the road and we'll be there.
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby Colin the King » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:25 am

As long as Liverpool are in the Europa UEFA Poundshop Cup League, they'll be playing twice a week quite a bit. It's not only the games, but the long haul trips abroad that should tire them out. Lose Gerrard/Torres (again) and they're left with nothing whereas at least we have some kind of Plan-B should something bad happen to Carlitos or Bellamy.

Spurs have by far the toughest run- they won't beat Chelsea, Arsenal or the rags as they seem to capitulate in the big games and demolish smaller teams (the opposite of us). Stoke away is another one I can't see them winning. Our game against them is hard to call, although if it was scheduled for the back end of April or the start of May they might be out of the running, which would be great.

Villa have to visit Stoke and Chelsea which should be six points dropped, a home game against Everton could be tricky, and I think we'll beat them at home. They're still in the FA Cup as are Spurs which is another couple of games potentially. They've not fallen away like they did last season, and have a better squad now with the likes of Downing and Dunnie playing well.

With blue-tinted specs off, I genuinely think we're favourites to claim 4th at the minute. We've no European or Cup distractions (unfortunately I suppose) and the majority of the games are at home- the away games we do have aren't the hardest in the world. We've been to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park, White Hart Lane and the Britannia already. Sunderland might be scrapping but they're diabolical at the moment and our record against them is phenomenal. Fulham have five games (including a trip to Italy) before playing us while we only have one.

Being realistic, I could see us losing (possibly quite heavily) at Arsenal and slipping up somewhere unexpected- maybe Burnley or maybe Birmingham at home. You can guarantee we'll do something stupid. But so will the others at some stage. It's there for the taking- it's not an uphill climb.

Come on City.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:29 am

I feel quite positive after reading that post CtK...Come on city!!!!
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Fish111 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
City are just six points off equalling their best Premier League points total ... with eleven games still to play!

That's it, we're goosed. We'll get 5 more points from now til the end of the season. We've been cursed now.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum