Anyone seen the back of todays Metro?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Anyone seen the back of todays Metro?

Postby Beeks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:15 am

Looks like the same Sheikh family are going to takeover Liverpool providing it doesn't incur a conflict of interest

But they are saying that it should happen as there is no rivalry like a sibling one

Rather worrying
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Re: Anyone seen the back of todays Metro?

Postby Burt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:23 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Looks like the same Sheikh family are going to takeover Liverpool providing it doesn't incur a conflict of interest

But they are saying that it should happen as there is no rivalry like a sibling one

Rather worrying

Is the Metro the same ownership as the MUEN?

I wouldn't give it much credence mate.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beeks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:33 am

Burt wrote:Is the Metro the same ownership as the MUEN?

No Burt...think it's a London based owner...the MUEN used to have a free paper called the Metro...but they bought the rights to use the name in Manchester when they widened their distribution to include the North West.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:36 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Burt wrote:Is the Metro the same ownership as the MUEN?

No Burt...think it's a London based owner...the MUEN used to have a free paper called the Metro...but they bought the rights to use the name in Manchester when they widened their distribution to include the North West.

it's worse. It's the tossers that own the Mail
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:36 am

The only thing I've seen so far is one of those 'quotes' with no name to it.

If they did do that it would completely go against everything they said when they took over City ie; wanting to build a club rather than take over an established brand for starters.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Guy Debord » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:43 am

Sounds to me like the definition of 'conflict of interest', that said, the FA's definition of a 'fit and proper person' is let's say, lenient.
Guy Debord
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Columma Durruti

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:06 am

Were too far down the line now,dont worrry.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:16 am

Guy Debord wrote:Sounds to me like the definition of 'conflict of interest', that said, the FA's definition of a 'fit and proper person' is let's say, lenient.

Don't think 'conflict of interest' applies to individual members of families using their own personal wealth does it? The Sheikh in theory has bought City for himself rather than his family even if it does tie in with the aims of Abu Dhabi so I would have thought his brother would be allowed to do the same?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ashton287 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:18 am

Bullshit but I bet there are a few/alot of scousers dumb enough to get excited over the thought
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Beeks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Don't think 'conflict of interest' applies to individual members of families using their own personal wealth does it? The Sheikh in theory has bought City for himself rather than his family even if it does tie in with the aims of Abu Dhabi so I would have thought his brother would be allowed to do the same?

Apparently that's what they are saying Ted
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:40 pm

For the record, the MuEN is being sold (has been?) recently by the Guardian media Group to another group who also own the Liverpool Echo.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beeks » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 pm

john68 wrote:For the record, the MuEN is being sold (has been?) recently by the Guardian media Group to another group who also own the Liverpool Echo.

Well that must not of happened yet as I work right next to their office and it's still the Guardian Group
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Here's the story.

Manchester City owner's family 'eyes up takeover bid for Liverpool'

City are owned by one member of the Al Nahyan dynasty, Sheikh Mansour, but reliable sources claim the family are pursuing an interest in the Reds.

In order for such a deal to be sanctioned by the Premier League the family would have to prove the competition between City and Liverpool would in no way be affected.

But Premier League chiefs do not believe that would pose a problem, with one saying: ‘Sibling rivalry can be the strongest of competitive instincts.’

Liverpool’s current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett would want around £400million to sell the club but their price may drop if the club fail to qualify for next season’s Champions League.

The family’s interest at Anfield was first reported in December but, according to one source, the purchase of City has been viewed as a great success in terms of raising the profile of Sheikh Mansour, and this has intensified interest in Liverpool.

The source said: ‘City is viewed as having been a good move and now the family are interested in Liverpool.

'In the Far East, it is Manchester United that are the big club but in the Arab world it is Liverpool most people are mad about.’
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Fish111 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:33 pm

If this story had any credence at all surely all the nationals would have run with it as it could be quite an extraordinary story. Their lack of reporting on the subject either means the reporter at the Metro is shit hot and will be head hunted very soon or it's a pile of dog bollox.

The reporter may still be head hunted by a red top as they usually print shite like this all the time anyway.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 pm

is this the brother famous for doling out the "sand which" as a method of retaliation for lack of debt repayment or whatever it was. allegedly.

even if it happens, i am not sure it would matter much. If my brother owned a gun, and i owned a gun we just go shooting together.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
john68 wrote:For the record, the MuEN is being sold (has been?) recently by the Guardian media Group to another group who also own the Liverpool Echo.

Well that must not of happened yet as I work right next to their office and it's still the Guardian Group

Nope, it's been sold to the Mirror. And they're going to be shifting them out of their Spinningfields offices and putting the MEN rag writers in a prefab shed somewhere in deepest, darkest Oldham.

It'll be out of business in the next year or two no doubt.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wooders » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 pm

are these the same shieks that are buying Man Utd, West Ham, Everton and Portsmouth? (oh.. wait, maybe it will be the same ones who bought portsmouth) - we're still rich as fuck whatever happens, the family apparently want to make manchester/eastlands the new las vegas so I shan't lose sleep tonight
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby mcfc1632 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:28 am

First thoughts are that this is not a bad thing - we are well down the track now - our Sheik is proven to be the 'real deal' - this Sheik (if it is all true) cannot be any better than ours - we are just about to nick the 4th spot and we will not be letting go of it again - if there is another Sheik with the inclination and deep pockets to act as ours then I am just glad that he is not looking in Salford and the more clubs that can get ahead of that bunch of tossers the better
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Return to The Maine Football forum