City expanding into USA

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City expanding into USA

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Or alternatively the yanks decided to call a game where you chuck a ball around almost exclusively with your hands; 'football' because they didn't have enough brain cells to think of anything themselves, as in; " Hey Homer what's that new game you've invented where you throw the ball & the other guy catches it? " " I think I'll call it.........football! "

yr better than that, but...regardless.

American football obv grew more out of Rugby. You lot had your fracture/splinter of "football" turning into Rugby and erm Soccer (for the sake of uh clarity) earlier than we did, but we had a similar occurrence in the US -- that is forming an association or group to create a standard set of rules around how to play these games that were largely "football." When trying to form a unified league in the US it leaned towards a set of rules that were more rugby-flavored than soccer-flavored, and as a result we kept honing the rules about the game, in isolation from whatever happened on the European continent for the large part, until the game was both well-baked enough it its provincial flavour and seen as a bit of a badge of honour against whatever the former mother land was doing. Early American Football rules had a lot more Rugby flavor in terms of what you could do (e.g. more kicking of the ball, and no forward passing, etc), but those rules changed to make it the game it is today with a forward-passing focus, and less kicking for points outside of field goals, etc. And it's a fantastically fun game to play and watch btw.

Had this game been invented in a more "modern" time i would bet that there would have been an INTL forum and agreement upon rules across many continents, which would have made all of our lives a lot less interesting, don't you think?

I'm glad at least you lot are finally taking ownership of that filthy, grotty word "Soccer." It's despicable.

cheers

It was a joke. I don't actually care one way or the other apart from the fact that nerds & prawn sandwich eaters tend to be the people who use the word 'soccer' & 'football ' is a daft name to have called the sport they play in the states, whatever the reason. I can imagine it's good fun to play btw but watching it is an aquired taste. I've tried plenty of times & I mostly end up forgetting it's on.

i was joking about your joke. Keep up. Or is that Keepy-uppy?

You should try baseball if American Football is too slow for you. ;)

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Or alternatively the yanks decided to call a game where you chuck a ball around almost exclusively with your hands; 'football' because they didn't have enough brain cells to think of anything themselves, as in; " Hey Homer what's that new game you've invented where you throw the ball & the other guy catches it? " " I think I'll call it.........football! "

yr better than that, but...regardless.

American football obv grew more out of Rugby. You lot had your fracture/splinter of "football" turning into Rugby and erm Soccer (for the sake of uh clarity) earlier than we did, but we had a similar occurrence in the US -- that is forming an association or group to create a standard set of rules around how to play these games that were largely "football." When trying to form a unified league in the US it leaned towards a set of rules that were more rugby-flavored than soccer-flavored, and as a result we kept honing the rules about the game, in isolation from whatever happened on the European continent for the large part, until the game was both well-baked enough it its provincial flavour and seen as a bit of a badge of honour against whatever the former mother land was doing. Early American Football rules had a lot more Rugby flavor in terms of what you could do (e.g. more kicking of the ball, and no forward passing, etc), but those rules changed to make it the game it is today with a forward-passing focus, and less kicking for points outside of field goals, etc. And it's a fantastically fun game to play and watch btw.

Had this game been invented in a more "modern" time i would bet that there would have been an INTL forum and agreement upon rules across many continents, which would have made all of our lives a lot less interesting, don't you think?

I'm glad at least you lot are finally taking ownership of that filthy, grotty word "Soccer." It's despicable.

cheers

It was a joke. I don't actually care one way or the other apart from the fact that nerds & prawn sandwich eaters tend to be the people who use the word 'soccer' & 'football ' is a daft name to have called the sport they play in the states, whatever the reason. I can imagine it's good fun to play btw but watching it is an aquired taste. I've tried plenty of times & I mostly end up forgetting it's on.

i was joking about your joke. Keep up. Or is that Keepy-uppy?

cheers

I don't think it's too slow for me it's just kind of much ado about not very much. A bit like City v Liverpool.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:16 pm

GO TEAM.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Blue in North London » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm

It's confusing in Australia.

In some parts of Sydney, "football" is rugby league. In other parts "football is "rugby union". General it is rugby league in Sydney and Queensland. If you are in WA, Victoria or South Australia, "football" is Aussie Rules.

But then in each of these places there will be some Aussies who refer to football as "football".

While on the subject, a schooner (about 400ml) in Sydney is the same as what those in Adelaide and Melbourne refer to as a 'pint'. A pint in Adelaide and Melbourne is the same size as a schooner in Sydney. A midi in Sydney is the same size as a schooner in Melbourne. I'm surprised they use the same currency.
Blue in North London
Superman's Underpants

Postby Kyle » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:26 pm

King Kev wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I'm glad at least you lot are finally taking ownership of that filthy, grotty word "Soccer." It's despicable.
For the record, I am NOT taking ownership of this horribe name for the world's best sport. It is football, always was, always will be.

I think it is funny that even after Johns historically accurate post this comes up. Obiviously it hasn't always been, that was just refuted!
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby King Kev » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:34 pm

I support MCFC not MCSC
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bluej » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:45 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

Don't start me on that rip off of rounders ;)
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum