inside out wingers..

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: inside out wingers..

Postby mr_nool » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:42 pm

I played on the left today and scored twice ;-)

Walcott's goal yesterday is a good example that you don't have to play on the "wrong" wing to be able to cut inside and score. Mind, you have to be reasonably good with booth feet, though. But in my experience, it is easier to make a good shot with the wrong foot than it is to make a good and accurate cross.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Re: inside out wingers..

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 pm

In my view, one of the main reasons is defensive rather than offensive. A winger who goes outside is likely to get disposessed, and that leaves a feckin big hole for the oppos to run into. Look how many times it happens with Sweep. However when the winger does get behind on his right side its devastating. Look at Rags, they try to get to the line as much as poss.The reason Arsene developed it was down to personnel. Henry and Pirez were adept at cutting in and bending it into the far corner while Ashley Cole made the dummy run.But its been used for years. The all conquering Liverpool side had Peter Thompson and Steve Highway, right footed left wingers who both scored goals cutting inside but twisted back to cross.Best was predominently right footed but typically played on the left. Francis Lee scored a lot of goals cutting in from the left, one blinder for Derby unfortunately.But dont critise Shaun for not being able to do it. Summerbee never went near the left wing in his whole career.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum