Interesting take on Gareth Barry

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Interesting take on Gareth Barry

Postby ant london » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:10 am

and one which leads me to questioning whether it might be worthwhile trying him in the shielding role alone in some games...as I know a few have long advocated on here (arguing that the protection afforded by Nigel is, in some games, excessively restrictive in terms of his limited contribution taking the team forward...)

Usually when you talk about players in Gareth Barry’s mould then comments like “he keeps things simple” and “he brings the best out of his team-mates” come to mind. When I see Barry play I often describe him as a neat footballer. His performances in an England shirt have made him a regular starter in Fabio Capello’s side, perhaps one of the first names on the team sheet, but is the midfielder shining more for England than he does at Manchester City?

Rarely can it be said today that a player plays better for England than he does for his club, but I get the feeling Barry does that and is important to England given the injury problems of Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick struggling to show his worth. However, with Barry it seems that with all the star names that City has, added to the way the Eastlands outfit plays, his role is undermined and if anything he seemed to shine more when he was an Aston Villa player for such a long time. Part of the problem may be the form of Nigel de Jong and the fact that it seems hard to get both de Jong and Barry playing to the top of their game if they are both starters. This leads me to point towards Barry’s England form because he is currently the main holding midfielder- and is clearly highly rated by Capello. Barry has played a hand in solving the Steven Gerrard-Frank Lampard dilemma and his simplicity in winning the ball and setting the team on their way has been crucial to both the defence and the more attacking midfielders.

Tactically speaking, a high percentage of Barry’s role involves a good passing ability and Barry is equally adept at short and long ball passing. This is crucial to England’s World Cup hopes because they are likely to come across teams that will not be as easy to play through as the countries you come across in qualification. Even though a textbook would have it that the Manchester City man’s position is usually described as defensive, Barry has turned that notion on its head- he can play defensively but has the game to influence what happens further up the pitch with his passing and his appreciation of how Gerrard, Lampard and the likes of Aaron Lennon effect proceedings.

Anyone who is an ardent Gareth Barry fan will notice that it took him seven years to notch up nine England caps, but he has now raced to 36. Being consistently picked must give him the confidence to play the way he frequently does for the national team. At City there is much more focus on the players who were brought in during the summer of 2009, like Barry, because they all came with a big price tag and that naturally increases the attention put on those players rather than the so-called lesser names. City is now a glamour club and in personality terms a player like Barry is suited to the disciplinarian nature of Fabio Capello. Obviously I do not know Barry but he seems a timid person in the public eye and, much like Capello wants, he plays with the correct attitude and seems to have a clean reputation off the pitch. Such has been his rise as an international player that being mentioned for the England captaincy shows how far he has come.

Ultimately Barry may still prove to be a good signing for City and it looks like he is working out how he can make the best use of his talents due to the influx of midfielders at Eastlands. When he pulls on an England shirt he plays as if the national team play a game every week. There is clarity in his responsibility. Possibly two of England’s best players at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups were unsung heroes- and midfielders. In Japan Nicky Butt had a great tournament and four years ago, in Germany, Owen Hargreaves was one of the few players who really made an impact. It would not be surprising if Gareth Barry continued that pattern in a successful England team this summer.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: Interesting take on Gareth Barry

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 am

Sensible idea but I just cant see Bobby playing him without DeJong or Vieira (or both!). Defence first, attack afterwards!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby dazby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:22 am

Ant did you write that or steal it from somewhere?
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:22 am

International football imo is not as hard for players like Barry as the rough & tumble of the PL wheras some, poss Gerrard & Lampard may actually be more suited to the higher tempo & perform better when the game is faster & more players are running quickly off the ball for them to ping quick passes to & run for returns. The extra time they get on the ball internationally may make them think they should do something different & perhaps they need to, with less quick movement around them. Barry seems comfortable in various roles internationally.

For us I thought Barry did a really good job individually when Hughes played him & Ireland as the only 2 orthadox midfield players & Barry was the main defensive mfdr but as a team we looked vulnerable with only Barry offering any real protection to a brand new defence. Since DeJong came in, Barry seemed to be less effective but recently I think he's looked more like the quality of player he was at the start of the season, albeit in a slightly different role.

With the time & space he gets internationally, he looks a creative threat on the ball but is he good enough to be that effective in that role; with more forward responsibility, in the higher paced PL? I get the impression Mancini thinks he is & he set attacks going nicely v Chelsea & won a pen so we'll see. Needs to shoot more often & better though, as do all City's midfielders.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bingo Lewis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:25 am

I've said this all season. Play Barry and Ireland in a 442. If we had Jonno back then it'd be Barry Jonno.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby ant london » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 am

dazby wrote:Ant did you write that or steal it from somewhere?

if copy and pasting articles is theft then yes I did!

it's from here...good article though IMO

http://www.footballfancast.com/football ... 2010_Blogs)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am

agree with most if not all of this. i would suggest that Mancini has seen the 'problem' of Nige and Barry together and is working on trying to improve things. I would also suggest that the fact we were playing so deep made the problem worse, ie Barry had less space to operate in and it doesn't suit his game. Since we have started to hold a line higher up the pitch he has suddenly got a lot of his game back and was quite instrumental at Chelsea. He has also been trying to get forward more also, both overlapping runs and into the box. i am putting this down to Mancini slowly getting to grips with trying to get the team to play higher up. tbh i cant see him now doing what some of you suggest and leaving De Jong out. I think he will prefer to keep Nige as the protection and insist Barry takes on more playmaker responsibility.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Esky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:54 am

brite blu sky wrote:agree with most if not all of this. i would suggest that Mancini has seen the 'problem' of Nige and Barry together and is working on trying to improve things. I would also suggest that the fact we were playing so deep made the problem worse, ie Barry had less space to operate in and it doesn't suit his game. Since we have started to hold a line higher up the pitch he has suddenly got a lot of his game back and was quite instrumental at Chelsea. He has also been trying to get forward more also, both overlapping runs and into the box. i am putting this down to Mancini slowly getting to grips with trying to get the team to play higher up. tbh i cant see him now doing what some of you suggest and leaving De Jong out. I think he will prefer to keep Nige as the protection and insist Barry takes on more playmaker responsibility.

Absolutely spot on.

At Chelsea we played both De Jong and Zabaleta with Barry in a slightly more advanced role. All three were very good. Vieira could, in theory, replace one of the former two and we'd still keep the shape.

De Jong's been one of the most consistent players for us this season and I don't think we can leave him out of the side. Pushing Barry further forward looks like it could give us some impetus in the center of the pitch now that Stevie's out of form.
Esky

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Esky wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:agree with most if not all of this. i would suggest that Mancini has seen the 'problem' of Nige and Barry together and is working on trying to improve things. I would also suggest that the fact we were playing so deep made the problem worse, ie Barry had less space to operate in and it doesn't suit his game. Since we have started to hold a line higher up the pitch he has suddenly got a lot of his game back and was quite instrumental at Chelsea. He has also been trying to get forward more also, both overlapping runs and into the box. i am putting this down to Mancini slowly getting to grips with trying to get the team to play higher up. tbh i cant see him now doing what some of you suggest and leaving De Jong out. I think he will prefer to keep Nige as the protection and insist Barry takes on more playmaker responsibility.

Absolutely spot on.

At Chelsea we played both De Jong and Zabaleta with Barry in a slightly more advanced role. All three were very good. Vieira could, in theory, replace one of the former two and we'd still keep the shape.

De Jong's been one of the most consistent players for us this season and I don't think we can leave him out of the side. Pushing Barry further forward looks like it could give us some impetus in the center of the pitch now that Stevie's out of form.

yeah..

i am almost totally sure that Stevie Ireland needs stability, so this mix and match season has fucked him up and i dont expect to see anything form him this season now ( maybe in some of the final games ). I feel it will be next season now where he will bounce back, having had the summer to focus himself in his own way.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 am

For me Gareth has been better than I thought he would be.
I think there is a lot of work he does for the team that seems either to go unnoticed or unappreciated.
He does a lot of defending and gets involved up the field a good number of times.He is the most box to box player we have IMO,and his ability to get free kicks is great.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Return to The Maine Football forum