Training Tuesday 9/3

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Tuesday 9/3

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Back training for the first time since the Chelsea win and great to have the sun shining for a change. No signs of Tevez so presumably given a little more time with his daughter. Apart from him just M Johnno and Petrov missing but both I understand inside doing work.

The first 3 players out were SWP/Lescott and Bridge all taking part in the beep test I think with the Salford Uni crew who we are involved with this year on some specific tests. This time it was only those 3 involved before the rest all came out and after a chat from the boss they broke into 2 groups for some initial work. One group doing a beep test and another just playing in a keep ball group. Then it was altogether doing some jogging and stretching exercises. All routine stuff.

They then split again into two teams , one to work with Mancini which was basically two defensive formations and the rest with Kidd/Fausto and Carminati.Mancini was working with back 4's keeping tight together when defending but also on what he wants when they win the ball in breaking from deep. The other group split into two attacking units to play the ball around with focus on movement and crossing for a finish. From the smal bit I saw here Stu Taylor wasn't doing much good for the confidence of the strikers as he was saving pretty well everything.

After a while they all got together again for a pass and move session which varied from all in to 1 or 2 touch. The objective being to achieve 10 passes to get a point.Quite a quick session this one as a spectator commented on and especially difficult as the area used wasn't big. After 15 minutes of this they went back into the 2 groups from before but switching managers so Mancini had the attacking players. I watched Mancini's groups mostly and he was very active during each session. Quite a fit bloke I would say and maybe a tad quicker than Vieira:)

The session finished with an 11 a side game on just under half a full pitch. A very committed game although of course just missing the full blooded challenges.It wasn't enhanced by one watching fan deciding he would do some coaching from behind the fence and constantly shouting instructions at the players to switch it or get in the middle or something which usually was clearly wrong. Can't imagine what the players thought but even though told by an embarrassed mate to shut it he was undeterred and just carried on being a plank.

Overall a good positive session to get them back into the swing of it and no doubt some more specific work will be done through the week to prepare for the big Sunderland game .
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Tuesday 9/3

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 pm

That fan wasn't a certain lewis was it? I just knew his work experience at Stockport would go to his head ;-)
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks Doug.

Ah the beep test, how I used to love it - NOT! Nice to see them doing something hurtful.

Interesting to see if the little mid-season holiday (off to Italy, Florida and the like) will work in our favour as a sort of 'recharge of batteries' for the remaining 11 (?) games. Probably something Bobby's tried before so he may have the experience of it.

Hard work now boys.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:That fan wasn't a certain lewis was it? I just knew his work experience at Stockport would go to his head ;-)

Nope not Lewis, he knows better.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Cheers for that Doug.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:33 pm

still not inside on a pass yet then Doug? Give em a little nudge ;-)

I never see you mention set pieces. Do they practice set piece drills? Trying to think up new routines to try and gain an advantage?

cheers for your efforts as always.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Wonderwall wrote:still not inside on a pass yet then Doug? Give em a little nudge ;-)

I never see you mention set pieces. Do they practice set piece drills? Trying to think up new routines to try and gain an advantage?

cheers for your efforts as always.

They have practiced corner kicks and those free kicks whipped in from the wing but pretty well always defending them. I think I have seen attacking corners but not very much. They do quite often though practice direct free kicks which I have mentioned many times with the likes of Petrov,Tevez,Bellers and Garrido working on them especially
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BlueinBrazil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Cheers doug. Do you mean the team hasn't trained since the Chelsea game, or you just haven't been to a training since then? I seem to remember a little break around this time a few seasons ago under Sven...unfortunately that one didn't work out too well. Anyway, hopefully we can get a result against Sunderland...we do have a good record against them.
BlueinBrazil
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Craig Bellamy

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 pm

BlueinBrazil wrote:Cheers doug. Do you mean the team hasn't trained since the Chelsea game, or you just haven't been to a training since then? I seem to remember a little break around this time a few seasons ago under Sven...unfortunately that one didn't work out too well. Anyway, hopefully we can get a result against Sunderland...we do have a good record against them.

I went along a week ago before the internationals were played and there were some players there but not many and I was told the team wouldnt be training at all till today so it's been an extended break using the international week and no game at weekend.

Rested and fired up for Sunderland.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby blue wine » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:24 pm

thx doug.

A. johnson, how is he in training, has he settled? did he fit straight in the group?

and did any of the youth train with the first team today?
blue wine
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:42 pm

blue wine wrote:thx doug.

A. johnson, how is he in training, has he settled? did he fit straight in the group?

and did any of the youth train with the first team today?

AJ has fitted in just fine and I am sure he has realised the depth of quality around him. Boyata was with the group as usual as was Greg Cunningham today but the rest were the regular first team squad.

The reserves were out training on the furthest pitch away and I couldnt tell exactly who was there but they seemed in great spirits as there was plenty of noise from them.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mcfcyounggun » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm

doug wot youngsters r there that u think r good enough that we have ,do u think any of the regular reserve players now will make the 1st team
mcfcyounggun
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: tevez

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 pm

mcfcyounggun wrote:doug wot youngsters r there that u think r good enough that we have ,do u think any of the regular reserve players now will make the 1st team

It's a question that is asked a lot and it's not always that easy to tell especially from watching training where they don't do much which is close to play in a real match. There are actually only a few ' young uns' who train with the first team anyway and you need to see them in reserve games to get a better feel for their true ability.

Boyata and Ibrahim weren't being mentioned in too many places until given a chance and they both showed up very well.Even if they may not be quite ready for a regular place they showed they have enough to suggest they will make it.Others out on loan may also have a good chance like Trippier and definitely Weiss who I think is probably good enough now.Tutte is showing up very well at the moment and I feel quite positive about Robbie Mak who has yet to break into the squad. And of course there is John Guidetti who is scoring freely for the academy side at the moment and has broken into the reserves.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mcfcyounggun » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 am

i went to the reserve match last week and it was very good i was very suprised in the way they played against a near enough premier side in burnley i thought the youngsters did them selves proud doug i was particually impressed in guidetti and tutte i thought they stood out , im just hoping we get a repeat performance aginst the rags on thursday
mcfcyounggun
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: tevez

Postby john@staustell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:19 am

Guidetti's now scoring freely for the reserves as well.

Sometimes I've always felt that we cushion people a little bit at City, only introducing youngsters when we're desperate. Often wondered if Michael Owen or Shrek would've been put in our team at 16. Very much doubt it.

When Bobby says before Chelsea that RSC is carrying a knock (!) and 'Tevez is all I have' when asked if it was a risk playing him, you wonder whether Guidetti should be on the bench. Maybe not at Chelsea but against Sunderland, Wigan and the like while Ade is suspended. He seems to be a confident type who is unlikely to be knocked by his experiences.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:42 am

john@staustell wrote:Guidetti's now scoring freely for the reserves as well.

Sometimes I've always felt that we cushion people a little bit at City, only introducing youngsters when we're desperate. Often wondered if Michael Owen or Shrek would've been put in our team at 16. Very much doubt it.

When Bobby says before Chelsea that RSC is carrying a knock (!) and 'Tevez is all I have' when asked if it was a risk playing him, you wonder whether Guidetti should be on the bench. Maybe not at Chelsea but against Sunderland, Wigan and the like while Ade is suspended. He seems to be a confident type who is unlikely to be knocked by his experiences.

Has the fashion of clubs throwing young kids into the 1st team worked over the years though? I've always been an advocate of doing that but looking at examples over the years, people like Rooney seems to be an exception & I'm wondering if I've been wrong. Owen being an example of a player who waned in his early 20's & many are finished or a shadow of their best by mid 20's.

England 'stars of the future' such as Lake, Owen, Walcott, Dyer, Dean Ashton, the list goes on & on when you start to think about it even players who made it but crapped out half way or never lived upto potential (eg Gazza & even SWP to some extent ) then look at Brazil; Ronaldo, Adriano for starters are there similar stories in other countries? I wonder if it's just an impression I'm getting or whether there's more to it & they pick up injuries/attitude or confidence problems etc.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Has the fashion of clubs throwing young kids into the 1st team worked over the years though? I've always been an advocate of doing that but looking at examples over the years, people like Rooney seems to be an exception & I'm wondering if I've been wrong. Owen being an example of a player who waned in his early 20's & many are finished or a shadow of their best by mid 20's.

England 'stars of the future' such as Lake, Owen, Walcott, Dyer, Dean Ashton, the list goes on & on when you start to think about it even players who made it but crapped out half way or never lived upto potential (eg Gazza & even SWP to some extent ) then look at Brazil; Ronaldo, Adriano for starters are there similar stories in other countries? I wonder if it's just an impression I'm getting or whether there's more to it & they pick up injuries/attitude or confidence problems etc.

I don't think it's fair to knock the idea of blooding them really young by quoting the names of those who get injuries to blight their careers. The decision to me is all about them either having exceptional talent or if not then a special strength be it either physical or mental. I don't know enough about Guidetti but my gut feel is that he has a physical strength plus a great self belief and would benefit from getting involved with a first team at an early age.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:21 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I don't think it's fair to knock the idea of blooding them really young by quoting the names of those who get injuries to blight their careers. The decision to me is all about them either having exceptional talent or if not then a special strength be it either physical or mental. I don't know enough about Guidetti but my gut feel is that he has a physical strength plus a great self belief and would benefit from getting involved with a first team at an early age.

I've always been a strong advocate of it Doug but for instance, someone I know with a kid who was involved at Liverpool for a while, who was told by members of the academy staff there that Owen had been handled badly in the rush to have him playing 1st team football, he wasn't looked after correctly & that the training he got affected his hamstrings, making him vulnerable to injury.

May be bullshit by people on the staff with an agenda but it's what was said.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum